Author Topic: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball  (Read 98376 times)

Re: U.S.A. Olympic Basketball
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2021, 04:25:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Who's the best guard defender on this USA roster?

It's going to be Jrue Holiday once the Finals wrap up.
Didn't realize he was going to join the team. That'll be huge.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2021, 04:26:10 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I hope that FIBA look at replicating the same rules soccer has for Olympic selection;

‘Teams participating in the men's competition are restricted to under-23 players (born on or after 1 January) with a maximum of three overage players allowed.’

This strategy is perfect as it takes the decision out of the players hands. I’m sure most stars don’t want to do multiple games, but I’m sure due to sponsor pressure they have to.

With the under 23 rule, talented youth get an opportunity that they use to have, before 1992, in showcasing their skills and raising their profile. By also allowing 3 over age selections, nations can select players who can mentor the young team and it also help late blooming talent, whom would otherwise not qualify for the under 23 rule.

Does anyone agree with me about this concept?
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2021, 04:49:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I hope that FIBA look at replicating the same rules soccer has for Olympic selection;

‘Teams participating in the men's competition are restricted to under-23 players (born on or after 1 January) with a maximum of three overage players allowed.’

This strategy is perfect as it takes the decision out of the players hands. I’m sure most stars don’t want to do multiple games, but I’m sure due to sponsor pressure they have to.

With the under 23 rule, talented youth get an opportunity that they use to have, before 1992, in showcasing their skills and raising their profile. By also allowing 3 over age selections, nations can select players who can mentor the young team and it also help late blooming talent, whom would otherwise not qualify for the under 23 rule.

Does anyone agree with me about this concept?

It would kill the international teams. They do not have the depth of talent to compete this way.

I'd like to see USA go with an under 25 team. They do not need these older guys to beat this lesser competition.

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2021, 05:53:15 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Team USA announced Jayson Tatum is out tonight due to right knee soreness. He's considered to be day-to-day.

per Keith Smith nba

« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2021, 06:41:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I like the FIBA rules.

« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2021, 06:49:01 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Early game tonight. Totally forgot it was on. Team USA up double digits. For now...
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2021, 06:55:43 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Team USA announced Jayson Tatum is out tonight due to right knee soreness. He's considered to be day-to-day.

per Keith Smith nba

Bummer.

« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2021, 07:18:51 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This is just hilarious, and representative of what's wrong with the NBA today. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/olympics-there-is-cause-for-concern-but-not-panic-time-for-team-usa-mens-basketball-152138538.html?__twitter_impression=true

"Throughout the games, multiple players, from Jayson Tatum to Bradley Beal, have been staring down the officials following no-calls as they’re accustomed to receiving touch fouls or star-treatment officiating in the NBA."

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2021, 07:20:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Much better flow with the FIBA rules and the lack of "Star" calls. Everything just works better more of an up and down game without the cheap NBA refs trying to control everything.

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2021, 07:55:10 PM »

Kiorrik

Seems like the USA was a bit shell-shocked by the difference in physicality.

This game looks very different. They look way more active on D.

« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2021, 07:59:03 PM »

Kiorrik

Now they're picking up defence before even reaching halfcourt, whilst up 25-30 points.

It's like they realised they won't get lame star calls, and have to actually work for it.

Plus maybe the realisation set in that they're the more physically gifted group, and should really just be winning by working hard.

Explains why the dream team was instantly this good; they already played hard physical ball, back in those days.

« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2021, 08:07:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Kara Lawson should take over for Doris Burke once she’s ready to retire. Which will hopefully be soon... Have really enjoyed listening to Kara, she’s intelligent and knows the game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2021, 08:11:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Now they're picking up defence before even reaching halfcourt, whilst up 25-30 points.

It's like they realised they won't get lame star calls, and have to actually work for it.

Plus maybe the realisation set in that they're the more physically gifted group, and should really just be winning by working hard.

Explains why the dream team was instantly this good; they already played hard physical ball, back in those days.

Back in the Dream Team days the NBA was the toughest legue. That's not true anymore.

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Kara Lawson should take over for Doris Burke once she’s ready to retire. Which will hopefully be soon... Have really enjoyed listening to Kara, she’s intelligent and knows the game.

Yeah, Doris needs to follow Marv out the door. Kara was very insightful and not full of the usual cliches.

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2021, 08:49:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

They’re both awesome. I wish Ime could bring Kara back to the Celtics coaching staff.