Author Topic: Early draft look: Franz Wagner. Gordon Hayward lite?  (Read 8358 times)

Re: Early draft look: Franz Wagner. Gordon Hayward lite?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 12:11:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Delete
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:43:55 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Thoughts on Jalen Johnson? Saw that he's another one of those 6'8-6'9 swings who can defend and handle the ball a bit in this draft class.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2021, 12:18:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Giddey unorthodox set jump shots ... worries me

He shot poorly from 3 pt land and mediocre at FTs

I would take Wagner if both were available at 16

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2021, 12:35:37 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

I might too, and I'm not saying I'd take Giddey, just intriguing at 6'8".  I will say, like I did last draft, PG should be a priority, unless we all think PP is the answer.  I'm not convinced of that, but do like some of the PG's in this draft. 

Tre Mann is one that sticks out, 6'5"

STRENGTHS: 

Significantly improved as shooter, hitting 40.2% of his 3-point attempts as a sophomore
Emerged late in sophomore season as go-to creator and scorer for surging Florida team
Good positional size for point guard; can create space and score from anywhere on the court

WEAKNESSES:

Needs to improve as decision-maker to add value as lead guard or combo guard -- his turnover rate was double his assist rate as a freshman and nearly the same (19.6% to 21.9%) as a sophomore
Needs to improve as spot-up shooter to be a bigger threat outside of having the ball in his hands

PRO COMPARISON: Tyrell Terry
(I find it interesting in that Terry has only been in the league a year)

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2021, 12:57:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I might too, and I'm not saying I'd take Giddey, just intriguing at 6'8".  I will say, like I did last draft, PG should be a priority, unless we all think PP is the answer.  I'm not convinced of that, but do like some of the PG's in this draft. 

STRENGTHS: 

Significantly improved as shooter, hitting 40.2% of his 3-point attempts as a sophomore
Emerged late in sophomore season as go-to creator and scorer for surging Florida team
Good positional size for point guard; can create space and score from anywhere on the court

WEAKNESSES:

Needs to improve as decision-maker to add value as lead guard or combo guard -- his turnover rate was double his assist rate as a freshman and nearly the same (19.6% to 21.9%) as a sophomore
Needs to improve as spot-up shooter to be a bigger threat outside of having the ball in his hands

The needs to improve decision making and score anywhere from the work at his size.... I thought pro comparison was going to be Rozier :)

Celts need help at the edges (C/PF and PG). But big players are usually harder to find

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2021, 01:29:37 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
He looks like a great pick, but I'm still thinking PG here.  A name I saw to the C's was Josh Giddey, a 6'8" PG from Australia.  Color me intrigued.   :D

If Josh Giddey and Franz Wagner are either on the board at 16, I would be surprised.  If they were both on the board, I'd be shocked.  And as one of the board's leading Wagner supporters, I'd pick Giddey.  I just don't see him being there at all.

I rather draft a shooter. Niether of those guys is a shooter. The NBA favors offensive players and so should we.

Moody, Kessler Edwards or Duarte....

I guess Wagner is a good enough shooter to be called a shooter coming out....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 01:57:39 PM by liam »

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2021, 02:14:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

STRENGTHS: 

WEAKNESSES:

I think he'd be a great fit for us.  His projections are all over the place. I've seen him as high as 9 and as low as 20.

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2021, 02:19:04 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Once again this draft we are right on the edge of the cream of the crop.

Have to get lucky and do a good job to get something great at 16.

Wagner would be a good get.  Giddey a good get.

The best get of all IMO would be Davion Mitchell.  No chance I think.  Would be great for the C's
as Kemba is either traded or becomes an eventual bench scorer. 

We are full at shooting guard, otherwise I'd love to get either Keon Johnson or Moses Moody.  But instead time to keep developing Romeo and Nesmith and go for a bigger PG or a PF.

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2021, 02:31:43 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

The best get of all IMO would be Davion Mitchell.  No chance I think.  Would be great for the C's

We are full at shooting guard, otherwise I'd love to get either Keon Johnson or Moses Moody.  But instead time to keep developing Romeo and Nesmith and go for a bigger PG or a PF.

I was thinking Moody was 6'8" due to The Ringer measurements, but I'm seeing 6'6" with a 7'1" wingspan. I thought he was more like Tyler Bey from last year but see he is a lot like Nesmith. He's a good defender, kind of a combo of Nesmith and Romeo. I'd still take him at 16. Surrounding Tatum with shooters is the way to go.

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2021, 02:49:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I was thinking Moody was 6'8" due to The Ringer measurements, but I'm seeing 6'6" with a 7'1" wingspan. I thought he was more like Tyler Bey from last year but see he is a lot like Nesmith. He's a good defender, kind of a combo of Nesmith and Romeo. I'd still take him at 16. Surrounding Tatum with shooters is the way to go.
not sure if he's the shooter we need but I do agree that if we keep and make the pick rather than trade it, someone who can shoot is a necessity. 

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2021, 03:42:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Im high on Mitchell or Johnson

But again... guys that are supposedly out of range

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2021, 03:48:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
athletic/co-ordinated 6'9 F with 7'2 wingspan.  Not the scorer Hayward is.  But provides versatility on both ends and competes.  Very good ball handler, passer + improving 3 pt shot.

Unlike his brother Moritz,  Franz is not clumsy and displays control and strong iq on the court.   Moritz Wagner is a tweener (disadvantage) at the NBA level. While Franz would be a stretch 4 that could guard multiple positions.

If the frontcourt part of the lineup was TL,  Wagner, Tatum, Brown..... that is really good length/versatility/switch to work with

Franz is suppose to go anywhere from 10-16 in the draft.  So Danny may need to move up to draft him.

Brad lineup has usually functioned better with similar-ish stretch big/tall forward.  Horford, Olynyk,  Hayward and Theis to a certain extent.

highlights #21 Michigan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kebUNG6Xhc

defensive highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEgJMS4EPLs
yes, wagner might become a good nba sf and help the celtics. i dont think he has a high ceiling, but his floor seems good enough.

to add to our insightful discusses on our potential new valkarie, here is this link of his weaknesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fjFoz4YTWI
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2021, 03:50:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
athletic/co-ordinated 6'9 F with 7'2 wingspan.  Not the scorer Hayward is.  But provides versatility on both ends and competes.  Very good ball handler, passer + improving 3 pt shot.

Unlike his brother Moritz,  Franz is not clumsy and displays control and strong iq on the court.   Moritz Wagner is a tweener (disadvantage) at the NBA level. While Franz would be a stretch 4 that could guard multiple positions.

If the frontcourt part of the lineup was TL,  Wagner, Tatum, Brown..... that is really good length/versatility/switch to work with

Franz is suppose to go anywhere from 10-16 in the draft.  So Danny may need to move up to draft him.

Brad lineup has usually functioned better with similar-ish stretch big/tall forward.  Horford, Olynyk,  Hayward and Theis to a certain extent.

highlights #21 Michigan

defensive highlights
I like Franz, but most mocks I’ve seen have him going higher than where we are picking. Knowing Ainge he’s probably going to pick some 6’8 PF with no lift.
like TL? Romeo? nesmith? why do people keep repeating so many tired tropes about ainge's drafting?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2021, 04:00:01 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2021, 03:58:23 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

highlights #21 Michigan

defensive highlights
I like Franz, but most mocks I’ve seen have him going higher than where we are picking. Knowing Ainge he’s probably going to pick some 6’8 PF with no lift.
like TL? why do people keep repeating so many tired tropes about ainge's drafting?

Also, two of those 6'8" power forwards were key contributors to a championship back in the day.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2021, 04:11:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

highlights #21 Michigan

defensive highlights
like TL? why do people keep repeating so many tired tropes about ainge's drafting?

Also, two of those 6'8" power forwards were key contributors to a championship back in the day.

nice photo lol

good role players