Author Topic: 2021 Draft  (Read 68057 times)

Re: 2021 Draft
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2021, 05:32:48 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I hate to throw cold water on this thread, but I think there is a better than 50:50 chance Ainge moves his draft pick this year in a trade, especially if he keep all of Langford, Nesmith and Pritchard.

If the Celtics are going to be in the tax, Stevens is going to need to give it his all and make a run for the title and adding yet another mid first rounder that needs development to the team makes that a lot more difficult to do.

But, let's say Fournier doesn't re-sign, if Ainge does make the pick, my binkie in that range is Franz Wagner. Good size swing. Can hit the three. Great free throw shooter. Very good rebounder that should get better when he adds some size in the weight room. Doesn't turn the ball over. Excellent at the fundamentals like proper positioning, boxing out, making the right passes, finishing at the basket at a high rate, etc. Not a great creater of his own offense but an efficient scorer.

But, he will need to work on the 15-23 foot shot and his defense. His handle could use some work to if he ends up sliding into the 3 spot a lot. Should be interesting to see what his combine numbers will be.

I think it's pretty unlikely Ainge moves the pick unless he is able to trade it for a future first.  With the tax situation the C's will already be in, cost-controlled players are even more important.

Also, Franz Wagner's biggest strength is his defense.  He'll find himself an All-NBA defender at least once in his career -- that, not his offense, is what makes him playable from day 1.  It seems really weird to call him your binkie and then say he needs to work on his top ability.  His weakness is his inconsistency with his shot, both off the dribble and off the catch.

But the odds that Wagner is available at our pick seem sadly low at this point, unless we bomb out of the play-in tourney and wind up at pick 13 or 14 (and even then there's a good chance he's gone).
Saw him just once this year and thought his defense okay. I saw him a lot more as a freshman and though his defense was good, but it wasn't anything to write home about. If he took some big leap defensively this season, I missed it. Most of my opinion is based on games and video from last year.

He took a major leap defensively this year.  As a Michigan fan, I watched probably 90% of his games the last two seasons.  Last year I liked his defensive positioning and awareness, but he tended to reach a lot more than he needed to and was a step slow sometimes.  This year he was absolutely Michigan's best defender,  using his unique length for a wing to be incredibly disruptive on the ball, blocking shots, and in the passing lanes.  The advanced stats back it up, as he led Michigan (which was the 4th-ranked defense in the country) in every advanced metric, and was #3 nationally in Defensive BPM.  The defense will get him on the court Day 1 in the NBA.  I like his offensive potential, but I'm not sure it translates as quickly.

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2021, 09:05:48 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Another guy ill be adding to my board and likely in my top 30 is going to be Isaiah Todd the 19 year old big man who play for the G-League ignite.

Todd is listed as at 6'10 210lbs and reportedly has a 7' wing span and 8'11" standing reach. In his 15 games with the Ignite he averaged 24mpg 12pts 5rb, shot 36% from 3 on 3 attempts per game, and 82% from the line. Listening to Brian Shaw (the Ignite head coach) on Ford's Podcast he brings up a few really interesting points. First specific to Todd he claimed that he is up to around 225lbs and he spoke highly of his mobility and work ethic. The one thing Shaw touched on that really stands out to me for all 4 of the Ignite draft prospects is the level of competition they where facing. Shaw pointed out that this past season only 17 G-League teams competed and a significant number of Americans where not able to go play over seas. This caused the over all talent level in the G-League to rise considerably. For a player who was considered as raw as Todd to put up 12/5 vs a level of competition significantly better then NCAA D1 is pretty impressive and a good indicator that he will find a place in the NBA. His outside shot looks really good and like a skill that transfers right into the NBA.

Over all I think the predraft testing could prove critical for Todd and his draft stock. Watching his highlights it is clear that his lack of strength forces him into a lot of tough Dirk like turn around and step backs. This likely accounts for his 43% FG%. If he weighs in at 225+ and teams are confident that he can effectively gain further weight without hampering his mobility then I find it hard to believe he isn't a 1st round pick.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2021, 09:37:08 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Another guy ill be adding to my board and likely in my top 30 is going to be Isaiah Todd the 19 year old big man who play for the G-League ignite.

Todd is listed as at 6'10 210lbs and reportedly has a 7' wing span and 8'11" standing reach. In his 15 games with the Ignite he averaged 24mpg 12pts 5rb, shot 36% from 3 on 3 attempts per game, and 82% from the line. Listening to Brian Shaw (the Ignite head coach) on Ford's Podcast he brings up a few really interesting points. First specific to Todd he claimed that he is up to around 225lbs and he spoke highly of his mobility and work ethic. The one thing Shaw touched on that really stands out to me for all 4 of the Ignite draft prospects is the level of competition they where facing. Shaw pointed out that this past season only 17 G-League teams competed and a significant number of Americans where not able to go play over seas. This caused the over all talent level in the G-League to rise considerably. For a player who was considered as raw as Todd to put up 12/5 vs a level of competition significantly better then NCAA D1 is pretty impressive and a good indicator that he will find a place in the NBA. His outside shot looks really good and like a skill that transfers right into the NBA.

Over all I think the predraft testing could prove critical for Todd and his draft stock. Watching his highlights it is clear that his lack of strength forces him into a lot of tough Dirk like turn around and step backs. This likely accounts for his 43% FG%. If he weighs in at 225+ and teams are confident that he can effectively gain further weight without hampering his mobility then I find it hard to believe he isn't a 1st round pick.   

I like Todd a bit, and have brought him up here before -- his game reminds me a lot of Amir Johnson, and I think he could play the traditional four well in the modern NBA.  I don't think he's a 1st round prospect, however, but I'd be very happy for the C's to pick him in the mid-40's where we look to be ending up in the 2nd.

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2021, 09:38:59 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Gotta ask. How many of these guys you rank do you actually watch video of? You seem to be making this assessment based on measureables, stats and a coach talking about him.

I don't usually have firm opinions on a player until I have watched 2-3 whole games of the player and base my evaluations  on displayed athleticism, displayed skills, BBIQ exhibited, shot form, intangibles and then, lastly, the measureables at the combine.

I tend to stay away from the mock draft/draftnik sites and avoid you tube highlights as they almost never show you the things the player does poorly.

How do you do your evals?

And this goes for others as well? Do you watch whole games, just highlights, base most on what others say, etc? How do you come to your decisions?

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2021, 10:04:01 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Gotta ask. How many of these guys you rank do you actually watch video of? You seem to be making this assessment based on measureables, stats and a coach talking about him.

I don't usually have firm opinions on a player until I have watched 2-3 whole games of the player and base my evaluations  on displayed athleticism, displayed skills, BBIQ exhibited, shot form, intangibles and then, lastly, the measureables at the combine.

I tend to stay away from the mock draft/draftnik sites and avoid you tube highlights as they almost never show you the things the player does poorly.

And this goes for others as well? Do you watch whole games, just highlights, base most on what others say, etc? How do you come to your decisions?

Todd was a Michigan commit, and as I said in my Wagner analysis, I'm a Michigan fan.  So I watched him a couple times in high school to see what we were getting, and then when he went to the G-League, I watched about 3 of their games to see what we missed out on.  All told I've seen him play probably 5 games.

I know Big 10 players very well.  Most years I try to watch at least 2-3 games of the top prospects as well, but this year I've watched less due to the pandemic altering schedule (working full-time while also caring for a pre-schooler who was home leads to less time, but luckily she likes Michigan so we could watch their games).  I also watch Gonzaga games when I get a chance, so I've got a good feel for Suggs and Kispert.

The rest of the players I do look at scouting reports, but I've seen enough of the prospects on a list to have an idea how much I agree with a given evaluator, and tend to lean more on those who evaluate players similarly to how I do for the players I haven't seen.  I'm not a fan of highlight videos, because any viable NBA prospect should be able to put up a good highlight video.

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2021, 10:21:57 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

With time being at a premium these day (3 kids under 10) I usually use a few of the more reputable draft sites and the espn recruiting rankings as my jumping off point to researching prospects. This years draft I have been late to the game and have just started to build my opinion on a few guys. I to tend to like players with plus positional measurable and I find it useful to compare a players measurements to current NBA players who fill a similar archetype (Ex Todd if weights in a 225 he will be similar sized to Ed Davis and M Chris). I usually note stats when I post about players but I also know that they can be misleading as players are in different roles and in different systems of play. (A player like Todd is actually a great example of stats that should translate based of his role and competition level).

I try to find complete games on players but I also watch highlights. Highlights are a great way to gauge a players level of athleticism, explosiveness and body control. One thing that is really standing out to me and this maybe from watching so much of Tatum is that highlights of 6'7-6'9 players who are truly wings tend to have more of the dribble moves going into and finishing off of euro steps while 6'7-6'9 guys who are scoring off of dives and more simple creation project more as bigs. (Watching Todd highlights its evident that his is a big not a wing and his lack of strength forces him into tough shots)

I also listen to podcast and use those as a way to get incite and more in depth analysis on individual players. This also acts as a sending off point to my research.       
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2021, 10:23:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Todd was a Michigan commit, and as I said in my Wagner analysis, I'm a Michigan fan.  So I watched him a couple times in high school to see what we were getting, and then when he went to the G-League, I watched about 3 of their games to see what we missed out on.  All told I've seen him play probably 5 games.

I know Big 10 players very well.  Most years I try to watch at least 2-3 games of the top prospects as well, but this year I've watched less due to the pandemic altering schedule (working full-time while also caring for a pre-schooler who was home leads to less time, but luckily she likes Michigan so we could watch their games).  I also watch Gonzaga games when I get a chance, so I've got a good feel for Suggs and Kispert.

The rest of the players I do look at scouting reports, but I've seen enough of the prospects on a list to have an idea how much I agree with a given evaluator, and tend to lean more on those who evaluate players similarly to how I do for the players I haven't seen.  I'm not a fan of highlight videos, because any viable NBA prospect should be able to put up a good highlight video.
TP. I live in central Florida so watch a bunch of SEC and ACC games and make sure I see those conferences top prospects. I also have two of my best friends that work in college athletics and trust them for some assessments. So sounds like we do things similarly.

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2021, 10:25:39 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

With time being at a premium these day (3 kids under 10) I usually use a few of the more reputable draft sites and the espn recruiting rankings as my jumping off point to researching prospects. This years draft I have been late to the game and have just started to build my opinion on a few guys. I to tend to like players with plus positional measurable and I find it useful to compare a players measurements to current NBA players who fill a similar archetype (Ex Todd if weights in a 225 he will be similar sized to Ed Davis and M Chris). I usually note stats when I post about players but I also know that they can be misleading as players are in different roles and in different systems of play. (A player like Todd is actually a great example of stats that should translate based of his role and competition level).

I try to find complete games on players but I also watch highlights. Highlights are a great way to gauge a players level of athleticism, explosiveness and body control. One thing that is really standing out to me and this maybe from watching so much of Tatum is that highlights of 6'7-6'9 players who are truly wings tend to have more of the dribble moves going into and finishing off of euro steps while 6'7-6'9 guys who are scoring off of dives and more simple creation project more as bigs. (Watching Todd highlights its evident that his is a big not a wing and his lack of strength forces him into tough shots)

I also listen to podcast and use those as a way to get incite and more in depth analysis on individual players. This also acts as a sending off point to my research.     
TP. It's not how I would do things, but it's good to know how you come by your rankings and opinions. Thanks.

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Jay Huff, is another player who I have been pushing up my board. His age at almost 23 on draft night is a major concern but his fit in today's NBA is tough to over look. At 7'1 with a reported 7'5" wingspan Huff is the rare big who can provide legitimate rim protection and perimeter shooting. His 38% from 3 on 3 attempts and 83% from the line on 2 attempts is excellent for a player of his size.

Huff has current Celtic Luke Kornet are a pretty reasonable player comp as both players at 7' + shooting bigs who averaged the same 13ppg in college. I give Huff the long term prospect edge as he appears to me to be a more mobile and explosive athlete to go along with his superior length. While Huff is likely a 2nd round pick I would not be shocked if a team like the Cs surprises people and takes him in the second half of the first round base on his  fit into a position of need.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2021, 05:41:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Jay Huff, is another player who I have been pushing up my board. His age at almost 23 on draft night is a major concern but his fit in today's NBA is tough to over look. At 7'1 with a reported 7'5" wingspan Huff is the rare big who can provide legitimate rim protection and perimeter shooting. His 38% from 3 on 3 attempts and 83% from the line on 2 attempts is excellent for a player of his size.

Huff has current Celtic Luke Kornet are a pretty reasonable player comp as both players at 7' + shooting bigs who averaged the same 13ppg in college. I give Huff the long term prospect edge as he appears to me to be a more mobile and explosive athlete to go along with his superior length. While Huff is likely a 2nd round pick I would not be shocked if a team like the Cs surprises people and takes him in the second half of the first round base on his  fit into a position of need.     

If we're taking a big I'd rather have Filip Petrušev over Huff. He's younger and moves better with a more modern NBA game. Either could be a bust but I'd prefer Fllip over Huff.

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2021, 07:34:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Like Huff as a second rounder. Despise the idea of wasting a 1st rounder on him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2021, 07:57:20 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88

If we're taking a big I'd rather have Filip Petrušev over Huff. He's younger and moves better with a more modern NBA game. Either could be a bust but I'd prefer Fllip over Huff.

Same. I watched  Filip Petrušev when he was at Gonzaga and he looked like Markkanen did at that age. I would also prefer him over either of the Gonzaga bigs/swings in this draft.

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2021, 09:48:58 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Same. I watched  Filip Petrušev when he was at Gonzaga and he looked like Markkanen did at that age. I would also prefer him over either of the Gonzaga bigs/swings in this draft.

Excepting, of course, that Markkanen shot 43% from 3 as a freshman and Pretrusev shot 18% as a sophomore.  He's added the 3 in Europe, but his game wasn't like Markkanen's in college, as Lauri was always a sniper, with nearly a 50/50 split between 2s and 3s, compared to Pretrusev who took over 95% of his shots from 2 as a sophomore.

Petrusev reminds me more of Ante Zizic.  Maybe he'll be the version of Ante Zizic that makes it in the NBA, or maybe he won't.  He's fine for a draft-and-stash 2nd, but no more.  I would prefer him over Huff tho, who I'm not convinced is worth a pick at all, and certainly not one in the first round.  Why would you give a guy like Huff, who has limited upside, an effective 4-year, $15 million contract when a facsimile like Luke Kornet will make half of that as a free agent at or near the minimum?   
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:00:14 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2021, 10:04:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Excepting, of course, that Markkanen shot 43% from 3 as a freshman and Pretrusev shot 18% as a sophomore.  He's added the 3 in Europe, but his game wasn't like Markkanen's in college, as Lauri was always a sniper, with nearly a 50/50 split between 2s and 3s, compared to Pretrusev who took over 95% of his shots from 2 as a sophomore.

Petrusev reminds me more of Ante Zizic.  Maybe he'll be the version of Ante Zizic that makes it in the NBA, or maybe he won't.  He's fine for a draft-and-stash 2nd, but no more.  I would prefer him over Huff tho, who I'm not convinced is worth a pick at all, and certainly not one in the first round.  Why would you give a guy like Huff, who has limited upside, an effective 4-year, $15 million contract when a facsimile like Luke Kornet will make half of that as a free agent at or near the minimum?

Fllip move way better than Zizic maybe more like the Clips Zubac but with a decent-looking outside shot. Only 21, so a project. He's a power forward but in today's NBA probably a center.

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2021, 02:58:52 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88

For me it’s more his build and the way he moves on the court. I do find it interesting that you compared his sophomore year, when he made a 3pt attempt once every 3 games, to Markkanen’s freshman season, instead of Pretrusev’s freshman year, when he averaged a 3 a game in half the minutes. Why not compare the same age seasons? Is it because on more attempts he shot a higher percentage? Rather than an attempt every 3 games? Great way to get in rhythm, that.

Now he’s putting up 3 attempts per game and hitting 42%. He’s still not camping out at the arc like Markkanen does, but higher usage and higher percentage seems like a positive trend to me. It just doesn’t fit your narrative.