Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 173167 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2021, 08:08:03 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It’s been a pretty non standard Pats offseason so going to go with them continuing that trend and trading up for a QB. Why not?

« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2021, 09:14:43 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
One thing I would love to see tonight, is the commissioner announcing the first 3 picks as soon as the draft begins. Seriously, do the Jaguars and Jets need more time? And for all the 49ers gave up to trade for #3, there is no way they’re going to take calls to trade the pick now. I know this won’t happen, as the draft is on ABC and during prime time, so the network wants to milk each pick and draft interview as much as possible.

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2021, 09:41:04 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Should be an entertaining one tonight.  Especially starting at 3.  Maybe we'll even get some QB drama. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2021, 09:50:18 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Report: Patriots working on a new contract for 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.49erswebzone.com/news/amp-146559/

I believe that the Pats would only want Garoppolo if he was on a friendlier deal and after what the Panthers got for Bridgewater (a 6th plus paid part of his salary), I don't know why the Patriots would even give up a 2nd for him.

To be honest, Garoppolo to the Pats, after signing Newton, doesn't really make sense.  He is just going to get injured again and then what, we play Stidham?  Do you really want to pay Garoppolo for 4 years or whatever?

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2021, 10:06:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I would be pretty surprised if one of the 5 QB's makes it to 15.

I would only be a little surprised as there are plenty of scenarios where it plays out this way.  The problem even if one does slide is that we get stuck with the one no one else wanted, not the one we want.  That alone may be reason enough to trade up.

All the 4-14 teams, Falcons, Bengals, Dolphins, Lions, Panthers, Broncos, Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Chargers, Vikings have a solution at QB currently.  Someone said in an earlier post that if a team's current QB bombs out, the team is bad, and they are in position to draft a QB later.  It just seems like a bad value play for these teams to take a QB for redundancy or future consideration over taking a player that can help them right away.

If these teams do gobble up all 5 QBs before the Patriots pick, we will end up with that much better of a player available to us.  As I said, I would be thrilled with Parsons or Paye and maybe even some one like Devonte Smith slides down to us.

« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2021, 11:15:28 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, this would've been something.

Bill Michaels
@Bill_Michaels
·
22m
The
@49ers
 have offered the
@Packers
 the 3rd overall pick in this year's draft, plus other picks and a number of players from their current roster including Garoppolo
for Aaron Rodgers.
The Packers turned them down.
First reported by
@PAOnTheMic
 and confirmed by others.

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2021, 11:32:19 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Bill Michaels
@Bill_Michaels
·
22m
The
@49ers
 have offered the
@Packers
 the 3rd overall pick in this year's draft, plus other picks and a number of players from their current roster including Garoppolo
for Aaron Rodgers.
First reported by
@PAOnTheMic
 and confirmed by others.
Maybe Bill will get offered the same deal for Cam Newton. 😂😂😂

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2021, 12:33:36 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

I believe that the Pats would only want Garoppolo if he was on a friendlier deal and after what the Panthers got for Bridgewater (a 6th plus paid part of his salary), I don't know why the Patriots would even give up a 2nd for him.

To be honest, Garoppolo to the Pats, after signing Newton, doesn't really make sense.  He is just going to get injured again and then what, we play Stidham?  Do you really want to pay Garoppolo for 4 years or whatever?

NFL Contracts are not guaranteed and can be renegotiated.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2021, 12:37:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
twitter buzz is Pats discussing trade up with Panthers for 8th pick.

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Bill Michaels
@Bill_Michaels
·
22m
The
@49ers
 have offered the
@Packers
for Aaron Rodgers.
First reported by
@PAOnTheMic
 and confirmed by others.

I don’t believe that report for a second. So the 49ers make that massive trade just over a month ago, and just decide to call the Packers recently about including that pick for a package for Rogers. BTW, there may be no other team in the league Rogers may hate more than San Francisco, who picked Alex Smith with the number 1 overall pick (and Rogers was left waiting to pick 24). Plus, what team would trade the #3 pick (or 3 #1’s plus a 3rd before the trade) and additional picks and players, for a 37 year old QB?

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2021, 12:50:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Bill Michaels
@Bill_Michaels
·
22m
The
@49ers
 have offered the
@Packers
for Aaron Rodgers.
First reported by
@PAOnTheMic
 and confirmed by others.

I don’t believe that report for a second. So the 49ers make that massive trade just over a month ago, and just decide to call the Packers recently about including that pick for a package for Rogers. BTW, there may be no other team in the league Rogers may hate more than San Francisco, who picked Alex Smith with the number 1 overall pick (and Rogers was left waiting to pick 24). Plus, what team would trade the #3 pick (or 3 #1’s plus a 3rd before the trade) and additional picks and players, for a 37 year old QB?
just about every team would make that trade for Rodgers.  He is the reigning league MVP and the guy that just won the SuperBowl is like 7 years his elder.  There is a reason the Packers turned it down (if the report is true).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2021, 12:56:31 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Bill Michaels
@Bill_Michaels
·
22m
The
@49ers
 have offered the
@Packers
for Aaron Rodgers.
First reported by
@PAOnTheMic
 and confirmed by others.

Never underestimate the incompetence of some of these organizations  in the NFL. (cough....Bears...cough)

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2021, 01:39:28 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

NFL Contracts are not guaranteed and can be renegotiated.

Yes, I understand that but what you are saying is not entirely true.  An NFL contract can be fully guaranteed, not guaranteed at all, or anything in between.  His original contract  had about $74M guaranteed but that has been paid.  The remaining salary only has some minor prorated bonuses that would be cap hit to the 49ers.  They can cut him with relatively little dead cap hit.

If Garoppolo is cut though, he becomes a free agent and can sign with anyone.  He could choose the Pats in that case.  The 49ers could try to renegotiate also, probably have.  The discussion would be take this deal and play for us for less money or we cut you and you can go play for whoever you want.  Not much incentive for Garoppolo to take the deal in my mind.

I don't think the Pats could be talking to him without permission.  Doesn't make a lot of sense that they would let him talk to the Pats.  What makes the most sense for the 49ers is to play him this season until he is hurt and then let the rookie take over.  Unless they are blown away by a trade offer, which no one will, especially not the Pats.

« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2021, 02:20:56 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Conflicting reports.  Curran's version seems more logical but who knows.  I wasn't aware of the no trade clause.  Jimmy-G has a lot of leverage here.  He can just refuse any trade and say pay me or cut me.  Even if someone "blows them away" Jimmy can just say no trade, sorry, I ​don't want to go play for the Bears or whoever.

Assuming he would accept a trade to the Pats, (although maybe not with a pay cut) why would the Pats offer much?  They can say, you don't like a 4th round pick?, fine, then just cut him.

Tom Curran of NBC Sports said a source informed him a contract conversation between Garoppolo and the Patriots “is not happening,” refuting a tweet from NESN’s Dale Arnold Wednesday night (see below) saying the two sides were working on a new contract that could signal a trade.

It’s worth noting Curran’s source also said a trade could still happen “at some point.” But a combination of factors, including the 49ers’ expected value for Garoppolo and the need for the quarterback to restructure his contract and waive his no-trade clause, could be sticking points in a deal.
[/quote

« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2021, 02:37:34 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Conflicting reports.  Curran's version seems more logical but who knows.  I wasn't aware of the no trade clause.  Jimmy-G has a lot of leverage here.  He can just refuse any trade and say pay me or cut me.  Even if someone "blows them away" Jimmy can just say no trade, sorry, I ​don't want to go play for the Bears or whoever.

Assuming he would accept a trade to the Pats, (although maybe not with a pay cut) why would the Pats offer much?  They can say, you don't like a 4th round pick?, fine, then just cut him.

Tom Curran of NBC Sports said a source informed him a contract conversation between Garoppolo and the Patriots “is not happening,” refuting a tweet from NESN’s Dale Arnold Wednesday night (see below) saying the two sides were working on a new contract that could signal a trade.

It’s worth noting Curran’s source also said a trade could still happen “at some point.” But a combination of factors, including the 49ers’ expected value for Garoppolo and the need for the quarterback to restructure his contract and waive his no-trade clause, could be sticking points in a deal.

Both Jeff Howe & Curran have refuted that Dale Arnold report.

FWIW, I trust those two a lot more than Dale.