Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 173135 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2021, 03:15:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
From reports, it sounds like Zach Wilson just a had a ridiculous Pro Day and is looking like he could be the 2nd pick to the Jets.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2021, 06:00:11 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Teams aren’t giving up that much for a receiver
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 04:00:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow.  Looks like the Sam Darnold era is over with the Jets.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
52s
Sources: The #Panthers have traded for #Jets QB Sam Darnold.

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 04:00:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sixth round pick in '21 and 2nd & 4th rounders in '22.

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2021, 04:16:22 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
52s

So does that mean the Panthers will not pick a QB at #8?  (Which might mean 1 more chance for the Pats to get a QB or a chance to Trade Up).  Seems like a smart trade for the Panthers.  Darnold is likely better than who they could get at #8, or at least more ready.

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2021, 04:20:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
That seems like pretty bad value for the Jets.  Easy decision for the Panthers given the cost isn't much.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2021, 04:21:27 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
52s

So does that mean the Panthers will not pick a QB at #8?  (Which might mean 1 more chance for the Pats to get a QB or a chance to Trade Up).  Seems like a smart trade for the Panthers.  Darnold is likely better than who they could get at #8, or at least more ready.

Right now they have Darnold & Bridgewater.   I can't see them taking a QB at #8.

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2021, 04:34:53 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
That seems like pretty bad value for the Jets.  Easy decision for the Panthers given the cost isn't much.
Getting a second round pick for Darnold is 100% a win for the Jets.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2021, 10:30:21 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
The 49ers continue to look bad, in my opinion. How does a team trade their #12 pick, a first and third round pick in 2022, and a first round pick in 2023 for a #3 pick, in a draft where there are only two consensus picks? And what is it with this garbage, that they have their choice down to 5 players now. Seriously, how do you overpay like they did, and not have a clear cut player in mind before making that trade? Or did they have a player in mind, and once they actually saw him in person, they realized they made a mistake and are scrambling and trying to find the best player available now?

Then there is the Jimmy G issue. The team is one year removed from going to the Super Bowl with him. There is a very good chance the locker room gets split on who should be the QB after the draft.

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2021, 10:51:53 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
The 49ers continue to look bad, in my opinion. How does a team trade their #12 pick, a first and third round pick in 2022, and a first round pick in 2023 for a #3 pick, in a draft where there are only two consensus picks? And what is it with this garbage, that they have their choice down to 5 players now. Seriously, how do you overpay like they did, and not have a clear cut player in mind before making that trade? Or did they have a player in mind, and once they actually saw him in person, they realized they made a mistake and are scrambling and trying to find the best player available now?

Then there is the Jimmy G issue. The team is one year removed from going to the Super Bowl with him. There is a very good chance the locker room gets split on who should be the QB after the draft.

I think it is a decent plan for a team to draft a young QB while planning to play your vet for another year or two.  But it seems the vet QBs that are put in this position don't like it (there are 20M or so reasons why I have no sympathy at all for the vet QBs in this circumstance).  Especially ironic is to hear Aaron Rodgers complain about the Packers drafting Jordan Love when he came into the league in exactly the same situation.  In the case of Garoppolo, he will likely get hurt and the young QB will be on the field sooner rather than later anyway.  I guess you can say the team should have drafted a receiver or a tackle to give the QB more weapons but to me, I feel the QBs should be able to understand this.  It is a business and they are very well paid.

Speaking of Jordan Love, there were some rumors that the Pats were exploring a trade with the Packers for Love.  This seems like a reasonable alternate path to a good young QB.  Hard to believe that if Love was looking really great in practice, that GB would trade him (just to keep Rodgers happy).  But if the option is trade up for Fields or just trade for Love, it may be more value to trade for Love (assuming it costs less in picks or whatever than trading up in the draft).

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2021, 10:56:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Getting a second round pick for Darnold is 100% a win for the Jets.

I hope Darnold has a great season. 

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2021, 11:17:20 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

I think it is a decent plan for a team to draft a young QB while planning to play your vet for another year or two.  But it seems the vet QBs that are put in this position don't like it (there are 20M or so reasons why I have no sympathy at all for the vet QBs in this circumstance).  Especially ironic is to hear Aaron Rodgers complain about the Packers drafting Jordan Love when he came into the league in exactly the same situation.  In the case of Garoppolo, he will likely get hurt and the young QB will be on the field sooner rather than later anyway.  I guess you can say the team should have drafted a receiver or a tackle to give the QB more weapons but to me, I feel the QBs should be able to understand this.  It is a business and they are very well paid.

Speaking of Jordan Love, there were some rumors that the Pats were exploring a trade with the Packers for Love.  This seems like a reasonable alternate path to a good young QB.  Hard to believe that if Love was looking really great in practice, that GB would trade him (just to keep Rodgers happy).  But if the option is trade up for Fields or just trade for Love, it may be more value to trade for Love (assuming it costs less in picks or whatever than trading up in the draft).

Maybe I made a mistake by including Jimmy G in my post, as my main point was giving up all the draft capital and they still don’t know who to pick.

Since you brought up the Packers and Jordan Love, I think that was a completely different situation. The Packers didn’t trade up to acquire Love, as he was the 26th pick. The Packers did the same thing when they drafted Rodgers. In both instances, the Packers stood their ground, and simply drafted each QB with their own pick. The 49ers traded 3 first round picks and a third rounder, for the #3 pick in a consensus two player draft. I remember Mike Ditka and the Saints getting mocked because they traded an entire draft and two picks the following year to move up 7 spots to acquire Ricky Williams. As bad as that trade was, at least they had a clear target.

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2021, 11:35:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Maybe I made a mistake by including Jimmy G in my post, as my main point was giving up all the draft capital and they still don’t know who to pick.

Since you brought up the Packers and Jordan Love, I think that was a completely different situation. The Packers didn’t trade up to acquire Love, as he was the 26th pick. The Packers did the same thing when they drafted Rodgers. In both instances, the Packers stood their ground, and simply drafted each QB with their own pick. The 49ers traded 3 first round picks and a third rounder, for the #3 pick in a consensus two player draft. I remember Mike Ditka and the Saints getting mocked because they traded an entire draft and two picks the following year to move up 7 spots to acquire Ricky Williams. As bad as that trade was, at least they had a clear target.

Not disagreeing with you in principle although the Packers did trade up a little to get Love (not nearly the amount of picks the 49ers gave up for sure).  I think in this case, the 49ers know they will get one of 3 QBs, all that project pretty well.  You are correct that these types of deals usually go down only when they know the exact player they want will be there for them but in this case, they still pretty much know what they will be picking from.  I think the 49ers gave up a lot for this pick and I question that more than the fact that they still may be evaluating the options.  I agree in principle to take a young QB even though you have a decent vet, but I also agree, they likely over paid.

In general, these "all in" type draft trades do not work out so well for football.  Basketball is different, but in Football, putting too many eggs in one basket tends to be a bad move.  They may have thought (or still think) they can trade Garoppolo and get some of it back but I am not so sure that is going to work out for them.

The Packers then traded the 30th pick and a fourth-rounder (No. 136) to the Miami Dolphins to move up to No. 26, where they selected Love out of Utah State.

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2021, 11:46:16 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

I don't see this as a consensus top 2 draft. Lawrence is in his own tier, then Wilson and some of the other qb's are in another tier.

I also don't see an issue with SF going with Mac jones. He had a great year and has obvious leadership traits. Shanahan is an offensive wizard, and if he sees something in the young man, I'll trust his eyes over mine.

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2021, 05:40:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I don't see this as a consensus top 2 draft. Lawrence is in his own tier, then Wilson and some of the other qb's are in another tier.

I also don't see an issue with SF going with Mac jones. He had a great year and has obvious leadership traits. Shanahan is an offensive wizard, and if he sees something in the young man, I'll trust his eyes over mine.
Was about to post this very thing. It's Lawrence and then daylight, and the rest (Wilson, Fields, Lance and Jones) are down to personal preference for me.

It'd certainly be a ballsy move going with Jones at 3, but as you say, Shanahan knows more than any of us
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)