Poll

Chances both Jaylen and Jayson make the Olympic Team USA.

0-10%
0 (0%)
11-20%
0 (0%)
21-30%
0 (0%)
31-40%
0 (0%)
41-50%
0 (0%)
51-60%
1 (5.9%)
61-70%
1 (5.9%)
71-80%
3 (17.6%)
81-90%
4 (23.5%)
91-100%
8 (47.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Poll: Could Tatum and Brown make Team USA for the Olympics?  (Read 8633 times)

Poll: Could Tatum and Brown make Team USA for the Olympics?
« on: February 02, 2021, 11:26:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Team USA, for the Olympics, is usually made up of the best of the best American players in the NBA and can be littered with veterans. But this year, it's most likely a bunch of veterans that played last time won't be playing this time, and some not returning vets play wing positions.

I think it's easy to see that Carmelo Anthony, Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green won't be back, for various reasons. One of those reasons is that there are better players available, young players especially.

With all that said one a scale of 0-100%, what do you think is the probability that our beloved Celtics and most excellent country will be represented by Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.

Me....I think it's a guarantee, unless they turn down the invite, which I don't think they will, or the Olympics are cancelled.....again. Therefore I am giving it 100% for both.

And the thing is, if Brown and Tatum make this Team USA team, they are probably locks for the next two after that, at the very least. That would be huge for both their long term legacies. I hope it happens. It would pay off a lot of their hard work that both these gentlemen put in every off-season to become the best they can be. It wouldn't surprise me to see them being Olympic starters, at some point in the future.💚🇺🇸💚🇺🇸🍀🇺🇸🍀🇺🇸
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 11:32:47 AM by nickagneta »

Re: Poll: Could Tatum and Brown make Team USA for the Olympics?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 12:02:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They are clearly good enough and would make a good fit.

And I am hoping they don't go.   

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 12:05:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
90 percent

There are only a selected forwards/guards considered more premium imo

And half of these premium players have racked up mileage/need rest.  For example Leonard.  After the playoff, may not have enough gas left for the Olympics.   

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 12:11:03 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I would say yes, but let’s look at the competition for wings and say team USA will be wing heavy with 6 of them.

We have James, Durant, Harden, George, Leonard, Butler, Beal, Mitchell, Ingram, Siakam, Murray, Booker, Oladipo, Derozan, and dare I say Hayward. 

To me a lot depends if the vets James, Durant, George, Leonard, and Butler want to lace them up.  Let’s say all 5 of them want to play this summer it’s going to be a tough decision to leave any of them off and put Tatum or Brown on.  What if someone like Beal, Oladipo, or Hayward wants to play. 

In the future though I can see how both Tatum and Brown will clearly be on team USA teams along with Mitchell and maybe Booker, Ingram, and Murray and others mixed in at times.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 12:16:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would say yes, but let’s look at the competition for wings and say team USA will be wing heavy with 6 of them.

We have James, Durant, Harden, George, Leonard, Butler, Beal, Mitchell, Ingram, Siakam, Murray, Booker, Oladipo, Derozan, and dare I say Hayward. 

To me a lot depends if the vets James, Durant, George, Leonard, and Butler want to lace them up.  Let’s say all 5 of them want to play this summer it’s going to be a tough decision to leave any of them off and put Tatum or Brown on.  What if someone like Beal, Oladipo, or Hayward wants to play. 

In the future though I can see how both Tatum and Brown will clearly be on team USA teams along with Mitchell and maybe Booker, Ingram, and Murray and others mixed in at times.

Take out Siakam name.  He would rep Cameroon

Even if James, Durant, PG13, Leonard, Butler make the team.  There is still going to be another 10 spots that needs to be filled

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 12:19:14 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Based on the fact that Tatum and Brown were both part of Team USA last time when the big name stars weren't, AND they have both ascended and are the perfect types of players for the international competition (long, good defenders that can both dribble and shoot the three) I feel like it is almost a guarantee these guys would make it.

James - Would he even play?  I feel like at this age it would be unlikely that he does, but if anyone could at 38 it would be him.
Durant - Coming off an injury, I feel like he would opt out.
Harden / George / Leonard - These guys would make it ahead of Brown and Tatum if they choose to play.
Butler - I honestly think Brown and Tatum are both better than Jimmy for the international game.  Shooting the 3 is important.
Beal - Close.

The rest of the players that were mentioned I would 100% put Brown and Tatum ahead of.  Siakam is a Cameroonian player who plays for a Canadian team.

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 12:19:25 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Here would be my best 12-man roster assuming everyone is healthy and willing to play in the Olympics.

PG: Steph - Lillard - CP3 (fit-wise) or Harden (talent-wise)
SG: George - Beal
SF: LeBron - Kawhi
PF: Durant - Tatum
C: Davis - Bam - not sure (Wood, Zion and Allen come to mind)

Don't think everyone will be available though.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 12:31:01 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
figure Tatum's a lock and Jaylen's 90% a certainty.  only reason I don't see Jaylen as a lock is team politics possibly icing out a second Celtic.  very remote possibility but you never know

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2021, 12:35:50 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
Don't forget people...  I think the Team USA coaching staff is going to value the guys that contributed to Team USA in the past two years even if talent wise they might be slightly lower.

Guys like Brown, Mitchell, Bam, who were part of Team USA will be more highly valued I think over similarly skilled players.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2021, 12:37:44 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

I wonder if this Olympics will be another 2004 for USA Basketball.

Especially if Covid is still a big issue, which it probably will be, the NBA players would be looking at Orlando Bubble to a crammed and condensed '21 season and maybe even another '21 Playoff Bubble to a possible Olympic Bubble?  That's a lot to cram into 12 months.  If I was a player, I'd definitely want a break.

No way LeBron is playing, and it's never really seemed like Kawhi's thing.  George, Butler, Durant, AD, Harden have all been there done that.

Maybe Curry or Lillard (as they've never played in the Olympics yet), but also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to play.

So if Tatum and Brown want to play, I think they're in that 91%-100% odds bucket.  But I think USA's roster is going to look more like 2004 or 2019 than it will any of the other Olympic teams.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2021, 12:41:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If they want to play, I think chances are 100% they’d be selected.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 01:20:23 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

I wonder if this Olympics will be another 2004 for USA Basketball.

Especially if Covid is still a big issue, which it probably will be, the NBA players would be looking at Orlando Bubble to a crammed and condensed '21 season and maybe even another '21 Playoff Bubble to a possible Olympic Bubble?  That's a lot to cram into 12 months.  If I was a player, I'd definitely want a break.

No way LeBron is playing, and it's never really seemed like Kawhi's thing.  George, Butler, Durant, AD, Harden have all been there done that.

Maybe Curry or Lillard (as they've never played in the Olympics yet), but also wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to play.

So if Tatum and Brown want to play, I think they're in that 91%-100% odds bucket.  But I think USA's roster is going to look more like 2004 or 2019 than it will any of the other Olympic teams.

I.T. will be ready to play.
Yup

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 07:40:13 PM »

Offline imgllolo

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 1
Both are great players. I think Tatum is a special player and is starting to become a force on both ends of the floor. I wish I could have signed either player in my agency imgllo.com years ago lol

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 09:09:31 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
First all, all the players that declined to go to the World Championship, should not be called up at this point (Lebron, Kawhi, etc). Secondly all those guys old as heck. Time to usher in new generation with the likes of Brown/Tatum/Mitchell/Adebayo.

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 09:58:49 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I hope they both just stay home and continue training and rest up for the following season instead of participating in this.

We need both of them healthy for the future of their careers.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)