Author Topic: Bruins move on from Zdeno Chara  (Read 14354 times)

Bruins move on from Zdeno Chara
« on: December 30, 2020, 05:23:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Quote from: Chara
My family and I have been so fortunate to call the great city of Boston our home for over 14 years. Recently, The Boston Bruins have informed me that they plan to move forward with their many younger and talented players and I respect their decision. Unfortunately, my time as the proud Captain of the Bruins has come to an end.

The Bs decided Chara wasn’t worth a minimum contract, so he signed with the Capitals.

I’ve gotta say, I don’t get this.  He’s obviously aged, but he’s still good enough to be in our top six.  The leadership alone would be worth the contract, even if he never played a minute.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Bruins move on from Zdeno Chara
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 05:32:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This saddens me. I really was hoping he would retire while with the Bruins. It's probably the right time to move on as his defense in the playoffs was pretty abysmal and was sliding downward most of last season.

Even with his size, players can get past him pretty easily now. He's great for the penalty killing squad as he can plant himself in front and move people, but his physical limitations farther out from the crease, have gotten him to be fairly terrible out in space.

Still though, if he wanted to come back for a farewell tour, I would have been okay with that. He's earned it.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 05:47:53 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Roy and nick, I'm with you guys on this. It's a sad day for Bruins Nation.

Big Z, thanks for everything! We'll always have that Stanley Cup.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 06:19:46 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
End of an era - definitely disappointing. I don't get this at all, as he should have been allowed to stay until he was ready to retire. He, Bergeron, and Marchand have been the faces of the franchise forever. One of the most recognizable players in the game and even though he's no longer in his prime, he is still such a presence out there on the ice.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 06:59:46 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Epic fail not letting him retire a Bruins player. Epic fail.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
a terrible loss. what was it, 21 years a bruin? he brought class, hard work, and great play to the bruins for over two decades.

at the same time, he looked so slow on the ice last year. it was time for him to retire and avoid being willie mays.

this will not be a popular opinion, but i would prefer he did not play on the bruins in 2021. he is well past his prime. this allows space for a youngster and the team will ....sadly...be the better for it in terms of talent. leadership? we will have to see.

i will miss him just as i missed ortiz, bird, dewey, and pierce.

p.s. 2020 really was a terrible, terrible year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 08:05:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
this will not be a popular opinion, but i would prefer he did not play on the bruins in 2021. he is well past his prime. this allows space for a youngster and the team will ....sadly...be the better for it in terms of talent. leadership? we will have to see.

I’m not as sure.  We lost Krug with no replacement.  It’s hard to believe that Chara wasn’t a top-six defender.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 08:47:49 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I’m not as sure.  We lost Krug with no replacement.  It’s hard to believe that Chara wasn’t a top-six defender.
on offense zara was really really slow and hurt the team. he was effective still on powerplays. but his game has declined. sorry to say it, but true.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 09:09:10 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Quote from: Chara
My family and I have been so fortunate to call the great city of Boston our home for over 14 years. Recently, The Boston Bruins have informed me that they plan to move forward with their many younger and talented players and I respect their decision. Unfortunately, my time as the proud Captain of the Bruins has come to an end.

The Bs decided Chara wasn’t worth a minimum contract, so he signed with the Capitals.

I’ve gotta say, I don’t get this.  He’s obviously aged, but he’s still good enough to be in our top six.  The leadership alone would be worth the contract, even if he never played a minute.

He should have retired

Cant blame Bruins

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 09:39:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

on offense zara was really really slow and hurt the team. he was effective still on powerplays. but his game has declined. sorry to say it, but true.

There’s no disagreement about his decline.  I’m just skeptical that we currently have six defensemen better than him.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 09:50:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

There’s no disagreement about his decline.  I’m just skeptical that we currently have six defensemen better than him.
See for me the question isn't whether at the start of the year the Bruins have some young defensemen that are worse than Chara. The question is will those young defensemen be better than Chara by season's end.

So putting on the GM cap, it's probably time to move on. But the sentimental fan in me wishes Chara finished here, so if he wanted to play a farewell tour season, I would have given it to him.

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 09:52:25 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I'm guessing this is like the Paul Pierce leaving the Celtics and Brady leaving the Patriots typa equivalency.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 10:53:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'm guessing this is like the Paul Pierce leaving the Celtics and Brady leaving the Patriots typa equivalency.

Not quite, but close enough.  He didn’t start his career here, so there isn’t quite the same level of sentimentality, but it’s close. I think he’s been here 14 years now, and he’s been a key to all of the Bruins success.

I think the basketball equivalent would be if KG had never been traded, and wanted to play one final year here at the league minimum back in 2016.  I think you give the man the respect of a roster spot.  To continue the analogy, it would be like we were extremely young and weak up front, with KG probably being our third or fourth best big man.

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 01:59:57 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Nice career that should have been better. It was his time. Wish him good health.

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 02:08:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Nice career that should have been better. It was his time. Wish him good health.

Should have been better how?