Author Topic: 2021 Historical Draft: How Does My Team Look?  (Read 65768 times)

Re: 2021 Historical Draft: How Does My Team Look?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2020, 03:38:55 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
G: Mark Price
G: Drazen Petrovic
F: Julius Erving
F: Larry Nance
C: Shawn Kemp

2 shooters & 3 dunkers

So the idea here is something along the lines of those Nash - Marion - Amare Phoenix Suns with Price - Nance - Kemp in place of those three players. Uptempo run and gun basketball. Lot of PnR action. Then I got Doc and Drazen on the wings.

Doc is our best overall player but Price is probably our best offensive player with Doc and Drazen in close support. Kemp the 4th option and Nance the 5th.

So we are going to try and run some of these big guys off the floor. We'll give up some hoops due to our lack of size but I believe we'll add more offensively than we give up defensively with our speed & spacing.

I think, our 2 teams would be the best game to watch in person.

Both teams have an ABA feel to them. Smaller at forward. Multiple ball-handlers and creators. Lots of running and exciting open court play.

Perhaps we should just leave and start our own league
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2020, 03:39:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I think you have a lot of bridesmaids, but no brides (so to speak), and I think that is a problem especially in this sort of setting.
When I was toying with the idea of drafting Stockton #1, this idea is where I finished up. I couldn't see a scenario where I had enough top shelf fire power / go-to guy sort of thing next to him.

My team ideas kept ending up with a squad full of robins and no batmans.

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2020, 03:51:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Thoughts on my team?

C - Marc Gasol
PF - Paul Milsap
SF - Dan Marjerle
SG - Reggie Lewis
PG - Steve Nash

I really like this squad as it is probably the best one built for the modern game so far.  I’m wondering if there’s a big SF out there to give this team some more options.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2020, 03:58:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The Toronto Raptors thus far, still missing a SG, but we have a few in mind.  Overall, we think we will be able to outscore everyone, even with the guy that may be the worst offensive player on any team manning the middle.  We especially like the versatility that our 6th man brings to the big man rotation as he is a nice complement to both starters.

Guards - Tiny Archibald
Wings - Peja Stojakovic
Bigs - Karl Malone, Ben Wallace, Spencer Haywood

A 2 Time MVP, an ABA MVP, a 4 time DPOY, the only man in history to lead league in points and assists in same year, and one of the most lethal shooters ever.  Love the talent and think the fit is pretty darn good as well.

This team has all the pieces.  I tend to love the teams Moranis puts together, but this is the classic archetype of an NBA team to me:

An attacking PG who can also pass
A shooter
Strong two-way big men

If Toronto adds a strong ball-handler who can also shoot and defend at SG, it’s my idea of a perfect team.

The only question is, is it too classic?  Are traditional bigs dinosaurs in a modern game?  I think everybody knows my answer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2020, 04:06:23 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I think you have a lot of bridesmaids, but no brides (so to speak), and I think that is a problem especially in this sort of setting.
When I was toying with the idea of drafting Stockton #1, this idea is where I finished up. I couldn't see a scenario where I had enough top shelf fire power / go-to guy sort of thing next to him.

My team ideas kept ending up with a squad full of robins and no batmans.
I was toying with the idea of building around Stockton as well in case he were available at #8. Here's the team I was hoping to build.

PG: Stockton (#8)
SG: Drazen or Booker (#48)
SF: Butler (#13)
PF: Kirilenko (#28)
C: Sabonis (#33)

Both Drazen and Booker got selected earlier than #48. All the other guys would have been available with my picks. I guess I would have traded up for Middleton, just like I did with my current team. He wasn't part of my original plan, cause I never expected him to be available in the 5th round.

The go-to guys for that team would have been Drazen > Butler > Booker. Possibly Sabas as well, especially against small-ball Centers. Imo, Drazen is massively underrated. He's one of the best international players of all time. The same goes for Sabas. Unfortunately, he never fulfilled his potential because of the injuries.

If you ask me, Drazen is the 2nd best player in your team after Dr J. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a sign of disrespect towards the rest of your players. It's just that I'm super high on Drazen.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 05:21:13 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2020, 05:41:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The Toronto Raptors thus far, still missing a SG, but we have a few in mind.  Overall, we think we will be able to outscore everyone, even with the guy that may be the worst offensive player on any team manning the middle.  We especially like the versatility that our 6th man brings to the big man rotation as he is a nice complement to both starters.

Guards - Tiny Archibald
Wings - Peja Stojakovic
Bigs - Karl Malone, Ben Wallace, Spencer Haywood

A 2 Time MVP, an ABA MVP, a 4 time DPOY, the only man in history to lead league in points and assists in same year, and one of the most lethal shooters ever.  Love the talent and think the fit is pretty darn good as well.

This team has all the pieces.  I tend to love the teams Moranis puts together, but this is the classic archetype of an NBA team to me:

An attacking PG who can also pass
A shooter
Strong two-way big men

If Toronto adds a strong ball-handler who can also shoot and defend at SG, it’s my idea of a perfect team.

The only question is, is it too classic?  Are traditional bigs dinosaurs in a modern game?  I think everybody knows my answer.
I think Malone would have adapted quite well to the modern game.  Even back in the day he wasn't afraid to shoot from 3.  He wouldn't shoot a lot of 3's, but he did have 3 seasons of 0.5 attempts and hit them at 37.2, 26.8, and 40.0 in those seasons and was never really afraid to shoot them.  He also took a lot of long 2's and hit them pretty well.  On bball-ref they started keeping track of those in the 96-97 season and Malone had 34.4% of his attempts from 16' to the 3 point line over the rest of his career (the most of any distance) and he hit those at 45.2% which is quite good.  Obviously a modern Mailman isn't going to be as polished down low, but I think he would have easily stretched out to the 3 point line and would have hit them a pretty good percentage because he hit long 2's at such a good percentage.  He was also an athletic physical specimen.  Obviously not the player Lebron is, but they have very similar body structure, and I can absolutely envision Malone having a game more like Lebron had he come up more recently as opposed to the more traditional PF he was in the 80's and 90's.

Wallace is obviously a bad shooter, but plenty of modern teams have bad shooters on the floor.  I mean look at guys like Deandre Jordan and Rudy Gobert.  They basically don't leave 3 feet of the basket (Gobert for his career has attempted 81% of his shots from 0 to 3 feet, Jordan is even greater at 82.9%).  Those guys play just fine in the modern game and that is what I think Wallace would be, except a better rebounder and shot blocker, though a worse offensive player.  And that said, Wallace I think was a better passer than either Gobert or Jordan is.

Haywood was 6'8" and again another one of those athletic specimens.  Moved very well yet very strong.  Excellent shooting touch (and an excellent foul shooter).  Pretty solid passer as well.  I think he would have fit just fine in the modern game.  One of the reasons I went with him instead of filling out the starting roster, was that I think he would fit so well in the Malone or Wallace role on the team allowing me to play him with either and really being able to play end of game match-ups. 

At the end of the day, I just don't think teams are going to be able to guard my team.  I think I have too much offensive versatility.  I obviously need a solid wing defender or two in my rotation, but I like where I'm at so far.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2020, 05:45:34 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Guard: DJ
Wings: Kawhi, Middleton
Center: Jokic

Obviously, this ain't the whole picture yet. I'm one pick behind cause I sacrificed my 3rd round pick in the Kawhi trade.

Any feedback thus far?

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2020, 06:17:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Anyone wanna give me their thoughts on my team?

PG: Manu Ginobili
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Ron Artest
PF: Andrei Kirilenko
C: Artis Gilmore

I think it’s safe to say the identity of my team is defence. 3 DPOY candidates in the front-court, a routine All-Defensive player in Kobe, and Manu, a guy who thrived defensively when playing alongside other great defenders to allow him to take risks.

I also like it offensively. While there’s no true point guard on the team, I think the modern NBA really lends itself to the idea of a general “ball-handler” than a typical PG. Manu is a great selfless player who could make any pass there is, so I’m pretty comfortable with that.

Kobe, naturally, will be dominating the ball, as he’s one of the greatest scorers ever to play. Not sure I believe in anyone’s ability to stop him.

Artest and AK47 were both solid offensive players too. AK was something of a streaky shooter, but I think he’d be a lot better shooting in the modern NBA. I also think Artest will relish the ability to try and bully smaller wings he’s faced with. Not many can bang with a 6’6” 250lbs athletic wing.

Gilmore is an athletic giant who reminds me a lot of Gobert. Better offensive game though, whether that’s scoring or passing. I know I can’t use his insane 24/18/3 + 5 blocks season, but he was still an elite NBA player on both ends.

Anyone got any thoughts?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2020, 06:28:26 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

I think it’s safe to say the identity of my team is defence. 3 DPOY candidates in the front-court, a routine All-Defensive player in Kobe, and Manu, a guy who thrived defensively when playing alongside other great defenders to allow him to take risks.

I also like it offensively. While there’s no true point guard on the team, I think the modern NBA really lends itself to the idea of a general “ball-handler” than a typical PG. Manu is a great selfless player who could make any pass there is, so I’m pretty comfortable with that.

Kobe, naturally, will be dominating the ball, as he’s one of the greatest scorers ever to play. Not sure I believe in anyone’s ability to stop him.

Artest and AK47 were both solid offensive players too. AK was something of a streaky shooter, but I think he’d be a lot better shooting in the modern NBA. I also think Artest will relish the ability to try and bully smaller wings he’s faced with. Not many can bang with a 6’6” 250lbs athletic wing.

Gilmore is an athletic giant who reminds me a lot of Gobert. Better offensive game though, whether that’s scoring or passing. I know I can’t use his insane 24/18/3 + 5 blocks season, but he was still an elite NBA player on both ends.

Anyone got any thoughts?

I think Kobe is gonn shoot 30 times  game. Xd
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2020, 06:31:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Anyone got any thoughts?

I think Kobe is gonn shoot 30 times  game. Xd
I’m not sure that I’m default going to use his 35PPG season. In fact, I’ll probably use 02-03. Better defence, shooting, rebounding and passing. His efficiency was really similar to Jayson Tatum’s that season, except Kobe averaged 30 and got to the FT line 9 times a game.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2020, 06:36:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Obviously, this ain't the whole picture yet. I'm one pick behind cause I sacrificed my 3rd round pick in the Kawhi trade.

Any feedback thus far?

For me, this is one the standout teams so far.

I love Jokic. He is outstanding. Arguably the best facilitator (offensively) in this Historical League. Certainly the best non-PG. Then there is Kawhi Leonard who I rate as the best scorer in this draft. To be able to pair best offensive facilitator with the best scorer is an incredible 1-2 punch to build the rest of your team around.

Dennis Johnson and Khris Middleton are two versatile supporting actors that can serve your team in different ways. Gives you all sorts of options in deciding how to finish out your squad.

There are still so many different directions you can with your team over your next few picks. I am excited to see where you go with it.

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2020, 08:11:55 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

Any feedback thus far?

I love Jokic. He is outstanding. Arguably the best facilitator (offensively) in this Historical League. Certainly the best non-PG. Then there is Kawhi Leonard who I rate as the best scorer in this draft. To be able to pair best offensive facilitator with the best scorer is an incredible 1-2 punch to build the rest of your team around.

Dennis Johnson and Khris Middleton are two versatile supporting actors that can serve your team in different ways. Gives you all sorts of options in deciding how to finish out your squad.

There are still so many different directions you can with your team over your next few picks. I am excited to see where you go with it.

I wouldnt personally call Kawhi the best scorer in the draft. Best Kawhi ever was in the nba has been the 12 leading scorer.

His most efficient season saw him score 21 ppg, his highest scoring season was 27ppg.

We have a lot of players drafted who were superior scorers.

Kobe
Gervin
English
Dr. J
Drexler
Moses
Almost Granger
Giannis
Booker
Tiny
Karl

all these guys have had equal to or superior scoring seasons.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2020, 08:17:56 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Houston Rockets

Starters:
PG: Terry Porter/Gus Williams
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF: Bob Dandridge
PF: Draymond Green
C: Rudy Gobert

Bench:
Terry Porter/Gus Williams

The team is obviously very defensively slanted with every player being at least an above average defender, so my thought process is to start Porter or Gus based on matchups: I'll start Porter against teams who start small guards so he can bully them and go playoff Terry while Gus will start against teams with bigger guards and do what he did so well in the late 70s/early 80s as a scoring PG who could play on or off the ball and drive offences against tough defences if needed. Think my defence will be really tough to score on so I'll be grinding games out, which my perimeter players excel at (Dandridge and Gus were the offensive figureheads of defensively slanted title teams while Butler led Miami to the finals last season in a similar manner).

Thoughts?

I think you should have gotten more value in your Butler <=> Leonard trade. However I do like Jimmy Butler. I drafted Butler in the last draft we did and got some criticism for his character issues and valuing him too highly (picked him at #41 that 2000's draft). Maybe the last playoffs have changed some opinions  ;).

You might not have that imposing iso-scorer, but I'd be comfortable having the ball in Butler's hands. My problem with your roster is that I'd want Draymond also to be a ball handler most of the time when he's on the court. In some way Butler and Green are the same type of player. They're great in making plays, but struggle to stretch the court.

I think your front two would work really well. Of course defensively it's über elite and Green is great in setting up an athletic big man via lob passes. I just think Butler and Green may get in each other's way too much.

I'm not buying that Green is a passable 3-point-shooter, because with Curry/Thompson/Durant teams were sagging off him to dare him to shoot which gave him all the time and space in the world to shoot his only league above average percentage (other years he has been poor from distance).

I'm giving all participants a TP btw. This game is enjoyable to follow and I'm very impressed with everybody's abililty to construct a balanced team with distinct identities. I'm also kind of happy that I didn't participate. Not only because of time issues, but also because I'd be in over my head  ;D.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 08:37:32 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2020, 08:47:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Any feedback thus far?

I wouldnt personally call Kawhi the best scorer in the draft. Best Kawhi ever was in the nba has been the 12 leading scorer.

His most efficient season saw him score 21 ppg, his highest scoring season was 27ppg.

We have a lot of players drafted who were superior scorers.

Kobe
Gervin
English
Dr. J
Drexler
Moses
Almost Granger
Giannis
Booker
Tiny
Karl

all these guys have had equal to or superior scoring seasons.

I choose Kawhi because he was (1) Prolific (2) highly efficient (3) he can score from anywhere on the floor, and, (4) did it on the biggest stage leading his team to the title.

I don't think anyone else that combination of things going for them as a scorer.

That is what gives him the edge for me.

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2020, 09:32:17 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Anyone got any thoughts?
I'd say that one of your next picks should definitely be a point guard, as I'm just not a fan of players being forced out of position. Plus there are several great ones left. Don't get me wrong, I love Manu and his ability to make plays. However, I feel like pushing him to be the main point guard of the team might be neutralizing his talents a bit. If this were my team, I'd rather keep Manu at the 2 and push Kobe to the 3. The wing positions are the most interchangeable positions in basketball IMO. Have Ron Artest be the 6th man.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum