Author Topic: Which musician / group is the most universally liked?  (Read 23919 times)

Re: Which musician / group is the most universally liked?
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2022, 10:50:58 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
I’m curious, what’s the appeal of Stevie Wonder? 

Me, I’d put Lionel Richie over him.

Stevie was my favorite musician from the 1970's.  He produced 4 excellent albums in that decade, which were:

Talking Book (Superstition, You Are the Sunshine, Big Brother, etc.)
Innervisions (Living for the City, Higher Ground, Jesus Children of America)
Fulfillingness' First Finale (Boogie On Reggae Woman, You Haven't Done Nothin')
Songs in the Key of Life (Love's in Need of Love Today, Sir Duke, Isn't She Lovely, Knocks Me off my Feet)

His recordings got overly sentimental/sappy in the 80's. But that doesn't detract for all his beautiful music, which he wrote, produced and sang.

I still listen to his albums, from beginning to end, because all the songs are so good. And his social messages are as relevant today as they were over 40 - 50 years ago when he recorded them.

Love Stevie Wonder.

Been meaning to get back to this thread.  Wanted to throw in 2 cents re: Stevie Wonder and his early music.  Talking Book and Innervisions and the subsequent cluster of albums in 70’s and 80’s were popular and had broad appeal, but, his best music (IMO) preceded his 70’s/80’s work. More remarkable when considering that he was 15 in 1965.

For Once in My Life
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
I Was Made to Love Her (my favorite)
A Place in the Sun
Yester-me, Yester-you, Yesterday
Heaven Help us All
My Cherie Amor
If You Really Love Me
Uptight

Stevie’s early music (1966 to ‘71) was amazing - and not his biggest era of commercial success.   I’d take the Beatles ahead of Stevie Wonder but I think he’s up there as universally liked given his prolific hit-making across genres over multiple decades. 

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2022, 11:37:15 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I’m curious, what’s the appeal of Stevie Wonder? 

Me, I’d put Lionel Richie over him.

Stevie was my favorite musician from the 1970's.  He produced 4 excellent albums in that decade, which were:

Talking Book (Superstition, You Are the Sunshine, Big Brother, etc.)
Innervisions (Living for the City, Higher Ground, Jesus Children of America)
Fulfillingness' First Finale (Boogie On Reggae Woman, You Haven't Done Nothin')
Songs in the Key of Life (Love's in Need of Love Today, Sir Duke, Isn't She Lovely, Knocks Me off my Feet)

His recordings got overly sentimental/sappy in the 80's. But that doesn't detract for all his beautiful music, which he wrote, produced and sang.

I still listen to his albums, from beginning to end, because all the songs are so good. And his social messages are as relevant today as they were over 40 - 50 years ago when he recorded them.

Love Stevie Wonder.

Been meaning to get back to this thread.  Wanted to throw in 2 cents re: Stevie Wonder and his early music.  Talking Book and Innervisions and the subsequent cluster of albums in 70’s and 80’s were popular and had broad appeal, but, his best music (IMO) preceded his 70’s/80’s work. More remarkable when considering that he was 15 in 1965.

For Once in My Life
Signed, Sealed, Delivered
I Was Made to Love Her (my favorite)
A Place in the Sun
Yester-me, Yester-you, Yesterday
Heaven Help us All
My Cherie Amor
If You Really Love Me
Uptight

Stevie’s early music (1966 to ‘71) was amazing - and not his biggest era of commercial success.   I’d take the Beatles ahead of Stevie Wonder but I think he’s up there as universally liked given his prolific hit-making across genres over multiple decades.

Stevie Wonder would probably be my answer as well.  Also, I understand music is about personal tastes and preferences, but I can’t imagine anyone listening to the songs you just listed and not liking them.  He, like every artist, has some bad songs.  But he has so many truly great songs that have stood the test of time and would be loved in any era.

I know it’s a separate question from the original topic, but if you could only listen to one artist for the rest of your life, who would it be? For me, I think it would be Stevie.

« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2022, 11:39:55 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Elvis.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2022, 11:50:31 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
What about Queen/Freddie Mercury?  Bohemian Rhapsody was #1 in both the 70s and 90s, and hit the top 40 again in 2019.  That intergenerational popularity is pretty rare for a song.  Meanwhile We Will Rock You is ubiquitous at at sporting events, 45 years after it was written.  And obviously they have plenty of other popular songs,  but in terms of universal appeal, those two songs have demonstrated a seemingly unique ability to remain popular or at least appealing for generations.

« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2022, 12:27:50 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Prince...

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart...

Beethoven!

« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2022, 12:31:12 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Beach Boys would appeal to an extremely wide group of people.

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2022, 02:07:46 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Beethoven!

I was going to say Beethoven, because that’s what I’m listening to, but I hedged because while everyone should like Beethoven, I don’t think they actually do.

« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2022, 02:10:57 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Beethoven!

I was going to say Beethoven, because that’s what I’m listening to, but I hedged because while everyone should like Beethoven, I don’t think they actually do.

He's the GOAT!

« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2022, 02:23:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Of the more modern groups, my wife and I went to an Imagine Dragons concert recently and there was a tremendous gap in ages, all the way from little kids (like 5 year olds at the concert) till people in their 70's, just singing right along with all their hits.  It was really something to see such an age spread.  All different races and nationalities as well.  They clearly have mass appeal.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2022, 03:32:46 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
What about Queen/Freddie Mercury?  Bohemian Rhapsody was #1 in both the 70s and 90s, and hit the top 40 again in 2019.  That intergenerational popularity is pretty rare for a song.  Meanwhile We Will Rock You is ubiquitous at at sporting events, 45 years after it was written.  And obviously they have plenty of other popular songs,  but in terms of universal appeal, those two songs have demonstrated a seemingly unique ability to remain popular or at least appealing for generations.

I’m not a Queen fan (as ubiquitous and long-lasting as We Will Rock You has become,  I’ve never liked it).  I do, however, like Bohemian Rhapsody.  Might be a candidate for a universally liked song.

Agree with ETN re: Beach Boys - hard not to love them. And RRFYS - Elvis. I’m a fan though I bet some don’t like him.

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2022, 03:54:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I’m not a Queen fan (as ubiquitous and long-lasting as We Will Rock You has become,  I’ve never liked it).  I do, however, like Bohemian Rhapsody.  Might be a candidate for a universally liked song.

Agree with ETN re: Beach Boys - hard not to love them. And RRFYS - Elvis. I’m a fan though I bet some don’t like him.
Beach Boys music has always bothered my senses. The high pitch in their music is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. And the songs tended to be very sappy. Maybe in it's time, that worked, but most of the people I knew who liked the Beach Boys are dead, mostly due to just old age. I think Beach Boys music would be a hard sell to most who are millennials or younger.

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2022, 04:31:51 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

Beach Boys music has always bothered my senses. The high pitch in their music is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. And the songs tended to be very sappy. Maybe in it's time, that worked, but most of the people I knew who liked the Beach Boys are dead, mostly due to just old age. I think Beach Boys music would be a hard sell to most who are millennials or younger.

Can’t deny the falsetto/high pitch thing, but I love their early Jan & Dean style surfy/sappy music. And I’m still alive!

Their best music music was later and was more complex.    Good Vibrations, God Only Know, Sloop John B.   Pet Sounds was a terrific album.  Also Brian Wilson is one fascinating individual.   But I guess they’re not for everyone among the living.

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2022, 06:16:30 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I'm sure you're right. In fact, I don't think anyone is truly universally liked. But that's how it goes with art!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2022, 10:54:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Jonathan Richman.

If you don't love him, it's because you don't know him.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2022, 12:45:58 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Stevie Wonder

Great choice….definitely the most talented….. can play multiple instruments and creates incredible imagery with his lyrics, especially for someone with no sight. “Another Star” from Songs in the Key of Life is a great example: “For you, there might be another star, but through my eyes the light of you is all I see! For you, there might be another song, but all my heart can hear is your melody.”

Temptations were/are pretty universally liked. Just My Imagination and My Girl were huge crossover songs.

Earth, Wind and Fire’s R&B big band sound always did it for me though.