Poll

If Wiseman or Okongwu are not available by the 6th or 7th pick... still trade up?

No.  Keep the 14, 26, 30 picks
5 (25%)
yes and draft - Hayes
5 (25%)
yes and draft - Haliburton
3 (15%)
yes and draft - Okoro
0 (0%)
yes and draft - Achiuwa
2 (10%)
yes and draft - (insert name)
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: If Wiseman or Okongwu are not available by the 6th or 7th pick...still trade up?  (Read 6946 times)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This is tough but I'd do it for Toppin probably. Haliburton and Hayes are good but against three chances at prospects this flat draft? I'm take the three shots.

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I've been thinking, with Escrow staying at 10% this season, it should increase the chances of Hayward opting in exponentially.

And if Atlanta does want him we may be able to trade up involving him as opposed to all three picks to #6.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I would absolutely trade the 3 first rounders for the 6th or 7th pick. However, are picks 14, 26, and 30 enough to get it done? To me, it's such a no brainer for the Celtics, that it makes me wonder why Atlanta or Detroit would ever agree to it.

If 14, 26, and 30 actually yielded 6, you do that every single time without giving it a second thought.

For which player?

This is a flat draft in terms of talent and dont forget covid/flat cap.  Teams are going to try to stay as close to the cap floor as possible. You also try to make room for 2021, 2022 ufa class
We've heard the same thing about drafts in the past, but the 6th pick is always a better asset than 14, 26, and 30.  Now sure sometimes teams miss early and hit late, but you should always trade 14, 26, and 30 for 6.  ALWAYS.  Every single time without giving it a second thought.  Which is why I don't think Boston will be able to trade 14, 26, and 30 for 6.  Last year the 6th pick was traded for the 11th pick and entering his 4th year Dario Saric.  11 is better than 14 and Saric was a better value than 26 and 30.  And that draft was considered flat in that part of it as well where 6 and 11 were allegedly not that much different (and they both missed on seemingly better players though it is just 1 year so who knows how it shakes out). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I would absolutely trade the 3 first rounders for the 6th or 7th pick. However, are picks 14, 26, and 30 enough to get it done? To me, it's such a no brainer for the Celtics, that it makes me wonder why Atlanta or Detroit would ever agree to it.

If 14, 26, and 30 actually yielded 6, you do that every single time without giving it a second thought.

For which player?

This is a flat draft in terms of talent and dont forget covid/flat cap.  Teams are going to try to stay as close to the cap floor as possible. You also try to make room for 2021, 2022 ufa class
We've heard the same thing about drafts in the past, but the 6th pick is always a better asset than 14, 26, and 30.  Now sure sometimes teams miss early and hit late, but you should always trade 14, 26, and 30 for 6.  ALWAYS.  Every single time without giving it a second thought.  Which is why I don't think Boston will be able to trade 14, 26, and 30 for 6.  Last year the 6th pick was traded for the 11th pick and entering his 4th year Dario Saric.  11 is better than 14 and Saric was a better value than 26 and 30.  And that draft was considered flat in that part of it as well where 6 and 11 were allegedly not that much different (and they both missed on seemingly better players though it is just 1 year so who knows how it shakes out).

This draft is even flatter than last years

It flattens out after 4 or 5. Plus no franchise caliber talent. Maybe Wiseman

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I'd take Devin Vassell. I'm really intrigued by this kid. He's a two-way player and a very disruptive defender.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I'd take Devin Vassell. I'm really intrigued by this kid. He's a two-way player and a very disruptive defender.

I like him too. Might not to trade up as far, either.

I see cases for Hayes, Vassel, Okungwu.

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Really depends on who is there and how much Danny likes them.  What if he sniffs out someone wants Precious Achiuwa and Danny doesn't think he lasts to 14, well then, maybe yes.  Maybe not needing to go to 6 or 7, but at least 9 or 10.  What if Tyrese Haliburton is the guy and he's sitting there, then heck yeah!  But if he can't and Hampton is there at 14, boom, #ThePickIsIn
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I don't think the notion of consolidating picks and trading up is specific to any one player.   In terms of bigs in general, Wiseman is in a league of his own and I don't think there is any chance we get a shot at him and I am not sure Okongwu is worth trading up for.

It is not that Okongwu isn't a decent prospect, but the problem is that you don't know really if he is going to be any better than say Toppin, Achiuwa, Jalen Smith or Isaiah Stewart.  This is the NBA draft and you really never know, so why trade up for these guys.  Especially bigs are very low on their development curves so it is really impossible to project their NBA performance relative to each other unless you have someone like Embiid (and even then, there have been major busts).

Skill players are a little more developed often but there is still difficulty, again, except for the really top tier players and this draft may not have many if any of those.

Bottom line, we really don't need the 26th or the 30th pick so trading one or both to me is not a big deal either way.  Unless I was really sure about a player, I don't think I would trade all 3 for just one.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think it would be okay to consolidate and trade up to draft Haliburton. He is really, IMHO, the guy that will over perform his draft slot the most. I love his BBIQ, his passing, his ball handling, his scoring efficiency. I think he, more than any other player in this draft, can be an NBA All-Star.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

For which player?

Teams draft boards vary significantly.  With the 6th pick, Ainge gets at worst the 6th player on his draft board but it could be the 3rd or 4th player on his draft board is available. 

In any case, I seriously doubt any team would trade 6 for 14, 26 and 30.  We really don't have room for 3 picks.  I'd keep 14 and then try to jump up as far as I can with the 16 and 30.   

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

For which player?

Teams draft boards vary significantly.  With the 6th pick, Ainge gets at worst the 6th player on his draft board but it could be the 3rd or 4th player on his draft board is available. 

In any case, I seriously doubt any team would trade 6 for 14, 26 and 30.  We really don't have room for 3 picks.  I'd keep 14 and then try to jump up as far as I can with the 16 and 30.

you mean 26 and 30

OR you could trade the 26 and 30 for like the 22nd pick and trade it for a protected future 1st.  Danny has options

« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:09:15 PM by Tr1boy »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

I like him too. Might not to trade up as far, either.

I see cases for Hayes, Vassel, Okungwu.

Vassell has crazy court awareness that just can't be taught.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d do it for Hayes or Halliburton (and Avdija, obviously)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Let's look at previous drafts for context: 6  vs 14 + 26 +30

2019: Culver vs Langford/Windler/K.Porter Jr (taking the three options, since Culver hasn't been good either)
2018: Bamba vs M.Porter Jr/Shamet/Spellman (Porter Jr looks to be the most talented)
2017: Isaac vs Adebayo/Swanigan/Hart(due to injuries Isaac loses this one against Adebayo)
2016: Hield vs Valentine/Korkmaz/D.Jones (Hield, not close)
2015: Cauley-Stein vs C.Payne/Milutinov/Looney (edge to Cauley-Stein)
2014: Smart vs Warren/Hairston/K.Anderson (Smart, not having to be a homer)
2013: Noel vs Muhammad/Roberson/Nedovic (would be Noel, but interestingly Giannis (15) and Gobert (27) were available)
2012: Lillard vs Henson/Miles Plumlee/Ezeli (obviously Lillard big hit)

A couple of slam dunks with the 6th pick, but depending on the draft it's certainly possible that a trade up from 14/26/30 to 6 won't yield a succesful result: 5-3

The guys I'd look at in a trade up would be either Vassell/Hayes/Haliburton. Just not fully convinced.
I'm certain I'd want either Reed or Tyler Bey as a late first to add a low usage elite defensive power forward and I think that Kira Lewis or Saddiq Bey would be solid options at 14.

I'm fine with Lewis/Reed/Merrill as an outcome and trading away #30 for future seconds.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 06:22:27 PM by RodyTur10 »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
In this draft I lean toward taking three swings instead of one. But this roster being what it is, if the Celtics did value a single player in the top 10 I'd be ok with it.