Poll

If Wiseman or Okongwu are not available by the 6th or 7th pick... still trade up?

No.  Keep the 14, 26, 30 picks
5 (25%)
yes and draft - Hayes
5 (25%)
yes and draft - Haliburton
3 (15%)
yes and draft - Okoro
0 (0%)
yes and draft - Achiuwa
2 (10%)
yes and draft - (insert name)
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: If Wiseman or Okongwu are not available by the 6th or 7th pick...still trade up?  (Read 6945 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Per Windhorst,  the execs he has spoken to predict that Wiseman and Okongwu will be chosen by the 5th pick.  GSW want Wiseman. But so does Hornets and Wolves are still thinking about it, even if Wiseman does not prefer to go there.  Once Wiseman goes 1 or 2,  Okongwu would be snatched up quickly by one of Hornets, Bulls or Cavs who all could use a center. 

Windhorst also stated that Hawks are looking to trade their 6th pick and Pistons 7th pick should be in play also (my guess), since both of these teams have a pretty empty roster come next season +  mediocre 2020 UFA class +  potentially strong 2021, 2022 free agent class. 

If Hawks or Pistons are ready to trade their 2020 picks for the 14, 26, 30 Celtics picks, but no Wiseman or Okongwu available.  Would you make the trade?

considerations
-6th or 7th pick vs 14 + 26+ 30 = saves about 1 million dollar
-Celts projected to be over the luxury tax by about 5 million next season
-Adding an additional three 1st round picks means that the Celtics could have 6 players on the roster with 2 years or less experience. This is not including Waters or Falls
- Celtics immediate needs are frontcourt player (who knows what will happen with Theis, Kanter options and Timelord health is not dependable),  backup PG,  scoring help from the bench,  3 pt shooting

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Per Windhorst,  the execs he has spoken to predict that Wiseman and Okongwu will be chosen by the 5th pick.  GSW want Wiseman. But so does Hornets and Wolves are still thinking about it, even if Wiseman does not prefer to go there.  Once Wiseman goes 1 or 2,  Okongwu would be snatched up quickly by one of Hornets, Bulls or Cavs who all could use a center. 

Windhorst also stated that Hawks are looking to trade their 6th pick and Pistons 7th pick should be in play also (my guess), since both of these teams have a pretty empty roster come next season +  mediocre 2020 UFA class +  potentially strong 2021, 2022 free agent class. 

If Hawks or Pistons are ready to trade their 2020 picks for the 14, 26, 30 Celtics picks, but no Wiseman or Okongwu available.  Would you make the trade?

considerations
-Adding an additional three 1st round picks means that the Celtics could have 6 players on the roster with 2 years or less experience. This is not including Waters or Falls
- Celtics immediate needs are frontcourt player (who knows what will happen with Theis, Kanter options and Timelord health is not dependable),  backup PG,  scoring help from the bench,  3 pt shooting

I dont like the idea of 3 picks for a single pick, I would want to move some salary or something in there as well. Or Romeo.

But to get Hayes or Haliburton, yes.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

considerations

I dont like the idea of 3 picks for a single pick, I would want to move some salary or something in there as well. Or Romeo.

Why get rid of Romeo?  He showed promise last season.  Played strong D for a 1st year player

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Yes if the team thinks there is a player there that will help the team that will not be there later. 

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

considerations

Why get rid of Romeo?  He showed promise last season.  Played strong D for a 1st year player

I would think long and hard about trading romeo as opposed to the 14 this year. Just a gut with me, Dont see a high ceiling with Romeo, never did.
'21 Historical Draft

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

considerations

I would think long and hard about trading romeo as opposed to the 14 this year. Just a gut with me, Dont see a high ceiling with Romeo, never did.

I think the Celtics keep Romeo over any of the draft picks they have.   He has shown to be an above average NBA wing defender.  He showed to be an offensive player in college.   It might just be time before he puts it together and is at the starting level/6th man in the NBA swing man.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

considerations

I think the Celtics keep Romeo over any of the draft picks they have.   He has shown to be an above average NBA wing defender.  He showed to be an offensive player in college.   It might just be time before he puts it together and is at the starting level/6th man in the NBA swing man.

Agreed. He was even starting to hit some of his 3s.

I was surprised by his underrated explosiveness. Which looks dangerous with his 6'9 wingspan

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I would absolutely trade the 3 first rounders for the 6th or 7th pick. However, are picks 14, 26, and 30 enough to get it done? To me, it's such a no brainer for the Celtics, that it makes me wonder why Atlanta or Detroit would ever agree to it.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If 14, 26, and 30 actually yielded 6, you do that every single time without giving it a second thought.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I would absolutely trade the 3 first rounders for the 6th or 7th pick. However, are picks 14, 26, and 30 enough to get it done? To me, it's such a no brainer for the Celtics, that it makes me wonder why Atlanta or Detroit would ever agree to it.

If 14, 26, and 30 actually yielded 6, you do that every single time without giving it a second thought.

For which player?

This is a flat draft in terms of talent and dont forget covid/flat cap.  Teams are going to try to stay as close to the cap floor as possible. You also try to make room for 2021, 2022 ufa class

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

considerations

I take Terry or Hampton over Romeo 10/10 times.
'21 Historical Draft

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

For which player?

This is a flat draft in terms of talent and dont forget covid/flat cap.  Teams are going to try to stay as close to the cap floor as possible. You also try to make room for 2021, 2022 ufa class

The odds of hitting on a player with the 6th or 7th pick, have to be greater than getting the pick right at 14, 26, or 30. Also, the Celtics are a contender, so they shouldn't be fulling out their roster with even more inexperienced players (rookies). Don't forget, there will only be about 2 weeks of training camp, so I can't imagine any rookie having much of an impact this season. The Celtics need roster spots for veterans, not rookies.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

For which player?

The odds of hitting on a player with the 6th or 7th pick, have to be greater than getting the pick right at 14, 26, or 30. Also, the Celtics are a contender, so they shouldn't be fulling out their roster with even more inexperienced players (rookies). Don't forget, there will only be about 2 weeks of training camp, so I can't imagine any rookie having much of an impact this season. The Celtics need roster spots for veterans, not rookies.

I agree. There is this argument.
But it will depend on the quality of vets the Celts could obtain (for low cost). Celts couldnt even get Marvin Williams to join the team last season

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I would trade all three first for Hayes and less enthusiastically Okoro.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

considerations

I take Terry or Hampton over Romeo 10/10 times.

I think you underestimate Langford as a prospect. If he stayed in school and was entering this draft while coming off of a healthy season at Indiana I believe he would be a near lock to go top ten.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet