Author Topic: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft - VOTES ARE IN  (Read 156109 times)

Re: Celticsstrong 2021 Historical Draft
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2020, 03:34:13 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Two clarifying questions on my part:

I'm capping this draft at 10 players - the top 10 restriction will be draconian for the players at the end of the first round as it is. You're going to get some really weird teams with Paul Pierce as their centrepiece if you have 12-15 participants lol.
Paul Pierce got drafted at #10. Can we select #10s? I was under the impression that #10s are off the table.

All ABA players being eligible with only NBA play being used sounds good, as does no top 10 picks. Thins out the pool a bit but I kinda like it. Makes it more exciting.

I can chip in with helping out some commissioner duties, like processing trades that don't involve my team, doing a mock draft lottery, and things like that. I'd like to get a draft order and dates settled a bit before the draft actually commences in order to allow for pre-draft trades and whatnot.

I assume nobody has any objections?
All ABA players are available regardless of whether they were drafted in the top 10 of an NBA draft?

I'm already fired up for this! The sooner we announce the draft order the better. 8)
No, but what I meant is that some teams will be building around the Paul Pierces of the world if we have more than 8-10 participants.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2020, 03:35:20 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'm not participating because I haven't seen any of the guys play in the previous century. Would be impossible for me to evaluate a 1977 draft for instance. However this is a fun concept and I hope you have a lot of fun. I'll just be a watcher and learner  :D.

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2020, 03:45:03 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I'm capping this draft at 10 players - the top 10 restriction will be draconian for the players at the end of the first round as it is. You're going to get some really weird teams with Paul Pierce as their centrepiece if you have 12-15 participants lol.
Paul Pierce got drafted at #10. Can we select #10s? I was under the impression that #10s are off the table.

All ABA players being eligible with only NBA play being used sounds good, as does no top 10 picks. Thins out the pool a bit but I kinda like it. Makes it more exciting.

I can chip in with helping out some commissioner duties, like processing trades that don't involve my team, doing a mock draft lottery, and things like that. I'd like to get a draft order and dates settled a bit before the draft actually commences in order to allow for pre-draft trades and whatnot.

All ABA players are available regardless of whether they were drafted in the top 10 of an NBA draft?

I'm already fired up for this! The sooner we announce the draft order the better. 8)
No, but what I meant is that some teams will be building around the Paul Pierces of the world if we have more than 8-10 participants.
Yeah, I was pretty sure that PP was just an example. I just wanted to make it 100% clear that #10s are off the table. The second question was a genuine one though. I would assume that ABA players are available as long as they weren't drafted in the top 10 of an NBA draft. For the purposes of our game, the 1976 ABA dispersal draft does not count as a legit NBA draft. Is this correct?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:54:35 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2020, 03:46:27 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I'm not participating because I haven't seen any of the guys play in the previous century. Would be impossible for me to evaluate a 1977 draft for instance. However this is a fun concept and I hope you have a lot of fun. I'll just be a watcher and learner  :D.
There's not even a ton of tape available online for that era, I'm just regularly checking historical realGM threads where ancient NBA fans and historians talk about players in that era to get an idea of how they played back then + looking at historical adjusted +/- numbers to see if I'm missing anything.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2020, 03:47:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Yeah, I was pretty sure that PP was just an example. I just wanted to make it 100% clear that #10s are off the table. The second question was a genuine one though. I would assume that ABA players are available as long as they weren't drafted in the top 10 of an NBA draft. Is this correct?
Yes, and you cannot select their ABA years (you can use them as evidence for stuff like three point shooting and ability to defend in space though).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2020, 03:49:27 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Yeah, I was pretty sure that PP was just an example. I just wanted to make it 100% clear that #10s are off the table. The second question was a genuine one though. I would assume that ABA players are available as long as they weren't drafted in the top 10 of an NBA draft. Is this correct?
Yes, and you cannot select their ABA years (you can use them as evidence for stuff like three point shooting and ability to defend in space though).
Sounds great! Now let's get the lottery rolling! 8)

Btw, I'm happy to help out with commissioner duties. I'm under quarantine restrictions till the end of the month, at the very least. I got plenty of free time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:49:14 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2020, 05:48:10 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I can run a draft lottery shortly!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2020, 08:09:48 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I can run a draft lottery shortly!
Discord/YouTube/Twitch stream or riot :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2020, 08:33:41 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Correct.  So Dr. J is available since he was the 12th pick in the 72 NBA draft, but you can't use his first 5 years when he was in the ABA and a scoring and rebounding machine (obviously he was still an all timer winning a MVP in the NBA). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2020, 11:53:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I just did it using https://www.random.org/sequences/ to get an easy sequence, allocating everyone a number 1-10. Thought it was just the easiest way to ensure complete randomisation

DRAFT LOTTERY RESULTS:

Pick 1: Who
Pick 2: nickagneta
Pick 3: RPGenerate
Pick 4: Gouki88
Pick 5: Moranis
Pick 6: Somebody
Pick 7: Celtic Fan Forever
Pick 8: Jvalin
Pick 9: Rikibelevie
Pick 10: Darth Yoda

Draft will be Serpentine in nature, so picks will reverse each round
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2020, 12:33:19 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I just did it using https://www.random.org/sequences/ to get an easy sequence, allocating everyone a number 1-10. Thought it was just the easiest way to ensure complete randomisation

DRAFT LOTTERY RESULTS:

Pick 1: Who
Pick 2: nickagneta
Pick 3: RPGenerate
Pick 4: Gouki88
Pick 5: Moranis
Pick 6: Somebody
Pick 7: Celtic Fan Forever
Pick 8: Jvalin
Pick 9: Rikibelevie
Pick 10: Darth Yoda

Draft will be Serpentine in nature, so picks will reverse each round
Ugh, tough luck. I have 7 players in my 1st tier and I ended up with the 8th pick. I guess I deserve this after landing the #1 pick in the previous draft (and trading it away in a stupid deal). :P

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So now that we have a draft order, should we go dark on mentioning players?

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2020, 01:26:28 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Ugh

Worst spot imo.

I was debating on who I should take 1st, hopefully he will be there at 10.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2020, 03:06:28 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I'll take pick 3! That'll get me one of the top tier players in this draft.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2020, 03:42:11 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
5th.  Should be interesting.  Really curious to see how the first couple of rounds go.  Super excited to do this draft. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip