Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics Target Okongwu  (Read 6953 times)

Re: Rumor: Celtics Target Okongwu
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 10:14:15 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
OK.  Let's try to tie in a few of these rumors out there:

1. Boston wants Okongwu.
2. Hayward wants to opt out.
3. Warriors want to trade #2 pick for good veteran player.

What if Boston offered GSW package around Hayward and picks (most certainly including 14, and probably 26) for 2nd pick, and drafted Okongwu with it?  Hayward would have to opt out, and sign long term deal starting at $17mm, which is the trade exemption held by GSW.  If GSW agreed to pay Hayward 4 year deal starting at $17, with annual max bumps, for max term (is that 4 years?), would he consider that?

I think Boston is more likely to trade Hayward than Smart.  I think if Boston really wants Okongwu, they have to acknowledge that they are building to win it all a couple of years down the road, when Smart is still in his prime, but Gordon is not. But I don't know if the ## really make sense, because Hayward would be able to make more $$ either by not opting out, or by opting out and signing with a team having more cap space.

The only alternative would be Hayward and 14th pick for Wiggins and 2nd pick. That would be salary cap nightmare for Boston, though, so I doubt that would happen.

I don't think you are too far off, but I think Wiggins would need to be diverted to a third team. That team would have to be desperate for talent, ticket sales, or scoring on the wing. Then that third team could send another rotation big, shooter, or bench scorer back to the Cs. Teams like the Hornets, Knicks, Cavs, Pistons, Magic, Wizards, and Kings all come to mind. Players like Cody Zeller, Julius Randle, Andre Drummond, Larry Nance Jr., Luke Kennard, Nikola Vucevic, Aaron Gordon, Terrance Ross, Nemanja Bjelica, and Buddy Hield all come to mind.

Those players have a wide range of values in the NBA and to their current teams. Those valuations are not something we are privy to right now. But I could see each of those teams being interested in Wiggins and potentially being willing to trade those players if they right deal came along.

The question is whether or not Okungwu is worth that.

Potentially, yes.

But honestly, Timelord is worth Okongwu, if Timelord had some beans in the pot, so to speak.

I do not think that Wiggins is the massive negative that fans make him out to be and there should be a number of teams that would take him on.

IMO, Charlotte being one.

Hayward + Zeller (Zeller into the TPE) to GSW.
Wiggins, Poirier, Edwards #26 and #47 to Charlotte (and a promise that the Celtics WILL NOT draft Wiseman along with getting a TPE worth Zellers contract)
Monk, #32(from Charlotte) and #2 to Boston (along with a 28 million dollar TPE)

GSW has the MLE and remaining TPE to polish roster

Curry
Klay
Hayward
Draymond
Zeller

Charlotte has picks 3(wiseman) 26 and 47 as well as a TPE to use
Graham
Rozier
Wiggins
Washington
Wiseman

Boston has a large TPE to go after Woods or Gallo, adds Okongwu at #2 and adds some bench depth in Monk.
14th pick on a PG/SG combo (Hampton)
30th on a sf/pf combo (T. Bey, Woodard, McDaniels)
32nd on a sf/pf combo (T. Bey, Woodard, McDaniels)
Sign Waters

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Monk/Hampton
Tatum/Romeo/Woodard
Wood/GrantW/McDaniels
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

https://tradenba.com/trade-machine

'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

What if Boston offered GSW package around Hayward and picks (most certainly including 14, and probably 26) for 2nd pick, and drafted Okongwu with it?  Hayward would have to opt out, and sign long term deal starting at $17mm, which is the trade exemption held by GSW.  If GSW agreed to pay Hayward 4 year deal starting at $17, with annual max bumps, for max term (is that 4 years?), would he consider that?

I think Boston is more likely to trade Hayward than Smart.  I think if Boston really wants Okongwu, they have to acknowledge that they are building to win it all a couple of years down the road, when Smart is still in his prime, but Gordon is not. But I don't know if the ## really make sense, because Hayward would be able to make more $$ either by not opting out, or by opting out and signing with a team having more cap space.

The only alternative would be Hayward and 14th pick for Wiggins and 2nd pick. That would be salary cap nightmare for Boston, though, so I doubt that would happen.

I don't think you are too far off, but I think Wiggins would need to be diverted to a third team. That team would have to be desperate for talent, ticket sales, or scoring on the wing. Then that third team could send another rotation big, shooter, or bench scorer back to the Cs. Teams like the Hornets, Knicks, Cavs, Pistons, Magic, Wizards, and Kings all come to mind. Players like Cody Zeller, Julius Randle, Andre Drummond, Larry Nance Jr., Luke Kennard, Nikola Vucevic, Aaron Gordon, Terrance Ross, Nemanja Bjelica, and Buddy Hield all come to mind.

Those players have a wide range of values in the NBA and to their current teams. Those valuations are not something we are privy to right now. But I could see each of those teams being interested in Wiggins and potentially being willing to trade those players if they right deal came along.

Potentially, yes.

But honestly, Timelord is worth Okongwu, if Timelord had some beans in the pot, so to speak.

I do not think that Wiggins is the massive negative that fans make him out to be and there should be a number of teams that would take him on.

Wiggins, Poirier, Edwards #26 and #47 to Charlotte (and a promise that the Celtics WILL NOT draft Wiseman along with getting a TPE worth Zellers contract)

Curry
Klay
Hayward
Draymond
Zeller

Graham
Rozier
Wiggins
Washington
Wiseman

Boston has a large TPE to go after Woods or Gallo, adds Okongwu at #2 and adds some bench depth in Monk.
Sign Waters

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Monk/Hampton
Tatum/Romeo/Woodard
Wood/GrantW/McDaniels
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

Unless Cody Zeller is much better than I realize, I would think that could get the Warriors GM fired..

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

Potentially, yes.

Curry
Klay
Hayward
Draymond
Zeller

Graham
Rozier
Wiggins
Washington
Wiseman

Sign Waters

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Monk/Hampton
Tatum/Romeo/Woodard
Wood/GrantW/McDaniels
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

Unless Cody Zeller is much better than I realize, I would think that could get the Warriors GM fired..

I know they want a big body, but he can easily be left out of the deal
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 05:18:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

Potentially, yes.

Curry
Klay
Hayward
Draymond
Zeller

Graham
Rozier
Wiggins
Washington
Wiseman

Sign Waters

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Monk/Hampton
Tatum/Romeo/Woodard
Wood/GrantW/McDaniels
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

The Warriors could do much better with the #2 than one year of Hayward
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 05:35:40 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

Potentially, yes.

Curry
Klay
Hayward
Draymond
Zeller

Graham
Rozier
Wiggins
Washington
Wiseman

Sign Waters

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Monk/Hampton
Tatum/Romeo/Woodard
Wood/GrantW/McDaniels
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

I dont  see the number 2 as being worth more than Hayward,
Not sure it would be for a single year, why would Hayward leave there?
They also get rid of Wiggins.
'21 Historical Draft

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 05:53:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

Potentially, yes.

Curry
Klay
Hayward
Draymond
Zeller

Graham
Rozier
Wiggins
Washington
Wiseman

Sign Waters

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Monk/Hampton
Tatum/Romeo/Woodard
Wood/GrantW/McDaniels
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

I don't think living on the West coast appeals at all to the Indiana-residing Hayward family.

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 08:28:03 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

Potentially, yes.

Curry
Klay
Hayward
Draymond
Zeller

Graham
Rozier
Wiggins
Washington
Wiseman

Sign Waters

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Monk/Hampton
Tatum/Romeo/Woodard
Wood/GrantW/McDaniels
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

I don't think living on the West coast appeals at all to the Indiana-residing Hayward family.

didn't he have his off season home there?

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 08:41:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

Potentially, yes.

Curry
Klay
Hayward
Draymond
Zeller

Graham
Rozier
Wiggins
Washington
Wiseman

Sign Waters

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Monk/Hampton
Tatum/Romeo/Woodard
Wood/GrantW/McDaniels
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

My understanding was he did, but has since moved to Indianapolis

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 08:57:11 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Looking forward to seeing Okongwu on the Celtics so I can hear Tommy try to pronounce his name.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 09:06:49 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

Potentially, yes.

Curry
Klay
Hayward
Draymond
Zeller

Graham
Rozier
Wiggins
Washington
Wiseman

Sign Waters

Kemba/Smart/Waters
Brown/Monk/Hampton
Tatum/Romeo/Woodard
Wood/GrantW/McDaniels
Okongwu/Theis/Timelord

My understanding was he did, but has since moved to Indianapolis

ok, from your post it sounded like it didnt appeal to them at all

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2020, 07:07:04 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Looking forward to seeing Okongwu on the Celtics so I can hear Tommy try to pronounce his name.

Mike

I was at the Vegas Summer League in 2018.  The announcers had a heck of a time with Ojeleye and Yabusele (who btw was a bust of a 1st round pick!).
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2020, 05:27:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hornets widely believed to be targeting a big man in the NBA draft

https://therookiewire.usatoday.com/2020/11/03/charlotte-hornets-nba-draft-rumors-onyeka-okongwu/