Author Topic: Rumor: Celtics Target Okongwu  (Read 6944 times)

Rumor: Celtics Target Okongwu
« on: November 04, 2020, 08:03:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Nbadraft.net tweeted confirming that Celtics are trying to package their picks to move up.

Target: Onyeka Okongwu.

Getting interesting. 

Don't know if there is any validity to this.  Frankly would be surprising that Ainge would let this get out.

Re: Rumor: Celtics Target Okongwu
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 08:09:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nbadraft.net tweeted confirming that Celtics are trying to package their picks to move up.

Getting interesting. 

Don't know if there is any validity to this.  Frankly would be surprising that Ainge would let this get out.

I highly doubt nbadraft has any legit sources regarding the Celts or any other team

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 08:11:01 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Unless Boston can trade into the top 5 there's no way to guarantee you can even get Okongwu.  It'd have to be a draft day deal where you only do the deal if the player is available.

I doubt Ainge has the ammo he's willing to part with to make it happen so it's probably a moot point.

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 08:57:47 PM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I read Charlotte is aiming for him too, even if Wiseman is still available.

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 09:41:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
OK.  Let's try to tie in a few of these rumors out there:

1. Boston wants Okongwu.
2. Hayward wants to opt out.
3. Warriors want to trade #2 pick for good veteran player.

What if Boston offered GSW package around Hayward and picks (most certainly including 14, and probably 26) for 2nd pick, and drafted Okongwu with it?  Hayward would have to opt out, and sign long term deal starting at $17mm, which is the trade exemption held by GSW.  If GSW agreed to pay Hayward 4 year deal starting at $17, with annual max bumps, for max term (is that 4 years?), would he consider that?

I think Boston is more likely to trade Hayward than Smart.  I think if Boston really wants Okongwu, they have to acknowledge that they are building to win it all a couple of years down the road, when Smart is still in his prime, but Gordon is not. But I don't know if the ## really make sense, because Hayward would be able to make more $$ either by not opting out, or by opting out and signing with a team having more cap space.

The only alternative would be Hayward and 14th pick for Wiggins and 2nd pick. That would be salary cap nightmare for Boston, though, so I doubt that would happen.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2020, 10:04:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

What if Boston offered GSW package around Hayward and picks (most certainly including 14, and probably 26) for 2nd pick, and drafted Okongwu with it?  Hayward would have to opt out, and sign long term deal starting at $17mm, which is the trade exemption held by GSW.  If GSW agreed to pay Hayward 4 year deal starting at $17, with annual max bumps, for max term (is that 4 years?), would he consider that?

I think Boston is more likely to trade Hayward than Smart.  I think if Boston really wants Okongwu, they have to acknowledge that they are building to win it all a couple of years down the road, when Smart is still in his prime, but Gordon is not. But I don't know if the ## really make sense, because Hayward would be able to make more $$ either by not opting out, or by opting out and signing with a team having more cap space.

The only alternative would be Hayward and 14th pick for Wiggins and 2nd pick. That would be salary cap nightmare for Boston, though, so I doubt that would happen.

Not sure..

Looking at the draft ...  there is a solid chance that Charlotte Hornets take either Wiseman or Okongwu.     Biyombo is a UFA.  Cody Zeller contract ends after next season.... They are pretty bare upfront

Forget about Okongwu.   Think about Jalen Smith at 14 or Tillman with one of the later picks

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2020, 10:06:04 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Getting interesting. 

I don't know if Okongwu is the target but it definitely makes sense to package the picks. We have too many young players who can't get PT as it is, I can't see them adding 3 more to waste roster spots sitting on the end of the bench.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2020, 10:14:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Getting interesting. 

I don't know if Okongwu is the target but it definitely makes sense to package the picks. We have too many young players who can't get PT as it is, I can't see them adding 3 more to waste roster spots sitting on the end of the bench.

yes and no

I would argue the jury is out on Carsen Edwards (who couldn't even make open 3s) and Tremont Waters (too small).   You still have to replace Wannamaker,  Semi,  Kanter,  Green  (I think most won't be back).    Timelord and Langford injury history is a little bit of a concern.  Celts in the playoffs lacked bonafide 3 pt shooters.   Plus need a better starter/long term solution upfront than bandaid solution Theis

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 10:30:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I sure hope so! Would love for us to move up for him or Wiseman
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 10:42:11 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Getting interesting. 

Agree, for Okongwu especially.  Second choice in 3-6 range would be Halliburton.  But, I also like the idea of replacing 3 of our current bench players with very excellently executed picks, or a stash or 2 plus good player at 14.  Easier said than done..

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 11:32:59 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Honesty sort of hoping the Cs don’t draft another undersized big like Okongwu. Might be a nice player but not sure how he helps with the current issues the Cs have. Also unlikely this guy turns out or be as good as the player he he often compared (Adebayo).

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 06:11:08 AM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

Is this guy worth using the 2nd pick in the draft for? If we do all this and come out with the 2nd pick Idk how id feel about drafting him over wiseman, ball, Edwards, or Deni. And I really really like Deni.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 08:21:55 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I supposed I don't have great reasons to be down on Okongwu, but I'm just skeptical he's going to be worth what some think he is right now. It really feels like a crapshoot for big men in the current nba. Unless it's a franchise guy, I almost think taking 2-3 shots at big men from a combination of draft/free agency and overseas is better than investing existing value for a shot at a specific one.

But I know roster space and too much inexperience is a concern specifically for the Celtics. So cashing in multiple picks/assets for one might make a little more sense for them. If they are able to do it, I'll probably buy in immediately.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 08:40:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

Is this guy worth using the 2nd pick in the draft for? If we do all this and come out with the 2nd pick Idk how id feel about drafting him over wiseman, ball, Edwards, or Deni. And I really really like Deni.

Speculation is that Charlotte will trade up to No. 1 to take Wiseman, because that is who they want, and worry that this is who GSW want.  If Wiseman is taken at 1, GSW more motivated to trade pick for a good player. 

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 09:18:05 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

1. Boston wants Okongwu.

I don't think you are too far off, but I think Wiggins would need to be diverted to a third team. That team would have to be desperate for talent, ticket sales, or scoring on the wing. Then that third team could send another rotation big, shooter, or bench scorer back to the Cs. Teams like the Hornets, Knicks, Cavs, Pistons, Magic, Wizards, and Kings all come to mind. Players like Cody Zeller, Julius Randle, Andre Drummond, Larry Nance Jr., Luke Kennard, Nikola Vucevic, Aaron Gordon, Terrance Ross, Nemanja Bjelica, and Buddy Hield all come to mind.

Those players have a wide range of values in the NBA and to their current teams. Those valuations are not something we are privy to right now. But I could see each of those teams being interested in Wiggins and potentially being willing to trade those players if they right deal came along.

The question is whether or not Okungwu is worth that.