Author Topic: 10/29 Draft Buzz (11/9 update)  (Read 12968 times)

Re: 10/29 Draft Buzz
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2020, 02:56:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2915414-2020-nba-draft-buzz-emerging-point-guards-and-latest-rumors

Notes from article

Teams will not waste workouts as they are limited to 10 and traveling out of state requires quarantine
     the following workouts reported
                    Lewis jr. Magic, Knicks, Pistons, Bulls
                    Haliburton. Mavs * not from this article
                    S Bey. Mavs* not from this article
                    RJ Hamptom,. Celtics not from this article
                    Toppin.           Cavs
https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-draft-workout-obi-toppin-this-week

Poku linked to Blazers and Mavs

Pritchard getting first round buzz

Terry linked to Lakers, Bucks, and 76ers

Washington wants Okongwu or will look to trade back

Hayes is receiving interest from Pistons, Knicks, Hawks, and Kings

Nesmith getting interest from Suns

Patrick Williams is getting top twin buzz namely from Pistons

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article246759051.html

Hornets appear to want Wiseman, this could lead to a trade up to 1st or 2nd pick.

nice

-but Wizards have no avenue to move up for Okongwu. Unless they are willing to include Hachimuira in a trade. Unlikely

-Hornets have some decent assets to move up to 1st or 2nd.  Bridges, Washington,  Graham

- Terry won't get past the 76ers at 21

- very curious to see what Suns, Spurs, Pelicans will do

I assume that they hope Okongwu falls to their pick (washington that is) several Mocks have him on the board when they select.

Can't see Okongwu getting past the Cavs.   Hornets could also nab him at 3 if Wiseman is not available

If slips to 7,  I would want Danny to think about trading the 1sts for Okongwu

Okongwu looks so much like Bam on the floor it's crazy. I'm not sure the passing and handle are there but the way he moves is real good.

Let me preface this by saying: I'd be ecstatic to get Okongwu. I think his PnR defense could be elite sooner rather than later. He screams modern big. I also think he could be a legit option to playmake on short rolls in the PnR on offense.

Bam is alot more explosive though. Bam also is a great dribbler/passer. I dont think Okongwu would get to THAT level, but I'd love to have him.

Watching more tapes on Okongwu as of late.  I think his lack of quality perimeter skills is not going to bring in strong interest from the Celts.  At least not by trading 3 1st to move up.   What really differentiates Okongwu from Timelord?? 

Instead I see the Celts have more interest in Jalen Smith.    He is one of the more explosive/quick  bigs from this class but also can shoot the 3 and has a nice straight line drive ability  (if guarded too tightly at the 3 line  or against slow defenders)

Even for Smith, Celtics may have to trade down a few spots as there are rumors that Pelicans,  Spurs,  Kings could be interested

I would consider trading 14, 30, Edwards for example to Wizards for their 9th pick

9th: Jalen Smith
26. Immanuel Quickley
47: Nate Hinton

Most draft boards don't have Jalen Smith being taken until late teens/early twenties, and you want to trade up to 9th pick to draft him.

Seriously?

Yup

He is 14 on nbadraft mock board and 13 on a few others

Smith is considered the 4th best big of the draft. Imo 3rd best because he is a better defender than Toppin. Adv over Okongwu also because he can shoot the ball.

My quick rankings of this classes bigs

1. Wiseman

2. Okongwu

3a Achiuwa
3b Toppin

4a Tillman
4b Nnaji
4c Poku

5a Smith
5b Azubuike
5c Stewart

Outside of these 10 I’m not sold that the rest are worth drafting (I view Reed as a big wing project unless he measures bigger the 6’8 and 220lbs)

As for Smith I fear he is January Johnson 2.0, a really good college big who can shoot and block shots but isn’t big enough to be a drop rim protector or quick enough to to switch.

As for Okongwu I think he will be a good long term NBA big, I fear that the rise of Bam and his rise to a likely top 10 pick will burden him with unrealistic expectations.

As for Celtics fits,

I’ve long been a huge Tillman fan. His IQ and toughness should allow him to play a similar role to Theis.

Achiuwa is an interesting fit in that he is an elite athlete who could be Faried 2.0 but more dynamic with the ball in the open court. If he buys it a Theis like undersized 5 role and becomes a solid screen setter coupled with his grab and go ability he could be an interesting Cs for.

Nnaji, seems like a late draft riser. He measured out well (almost identical to Greg Monroe) and is rumored to look really good shooting the 3 in practices and workouts.

Azubuike, a counter intuitive fit but he could be amazing in a 15-20mpg role. His size and explosiveness would give the Cs a package of rim protection, rebounding and rim running that they don’t have in one player.

Okongwu at best could turn out to be Tristant Thompson. Maybe a little bit better perimeter skills ... but minus the dogfight ability TT presents

Lol, seriously? At best? You surely don't actually believe that if you've like, ever watched him play

Ok ... what decent perimeter skills does Okongwu posses??

Watch below his scouting report weakness. Poor shooter and passing skills at the moment

https://youtu.be/dPFzWZfnJUY

For Jalen Smith the 2nd bullit point. Regarding his defensive impact

https://youtu.be/XfKPIOh1LFE

Okongwu D is not leaps better like you describe.  It is better but there is room for Smith to improve.  Where as Okongwu is a solid D big but his offensive ceiling is hard to gauge. His jump shot needs work. Awkward looking form.

I ask again, what difference are we looking at between Okongwu and Timelord really?

Scenario: in the playoffs, a smart team can lay layoff Timelord/Okongwu.   Where a stretch big like Smith forces Bam come out to guard him out to the perimeter, opening up space underneath the basket. Making Brown, Tatum, Walker life a little easier

First off I think all top end expectations for this draft class need to be kept in check.

The Okongwu / Tristan Thompson comp though imperfect is one that I would consider fair for ultimate ceiling outcome. At his best Thompson is a 12pt 10rb big who is capable of defending at a high enough level to be the starting 5 on a championship level team. At his peak outcome Okongwu could be slightly better but as a player who will fill a very similar role I don't expect a huge difference in their ceilings. In this draft if teams where guaranteed Tristan Thompson I believe that outcome is a lock for a top 5 pick.

As for the R Williams / Okongwu comp it starts and ends with bball IQ. Williams physical tools are superior to Okongwu but he just hasn't figured it out on the court and may never. This is especially true when it comes his P&R defense.

As for how a player like Okongwu performs on offense in the playoffs, he is setting screens and diving to the rim or forcing switches. This is no different from 75% of the bigs in the NBA.

In terms of the Celtics big man skill hierarchy I would say its the following

Offense.
1. Screen setting/sealing lanes
2. Passing
3. 3pt Shooting / Rim running

Defense
1. IQ
2. Solid as either a switch or drop big

Smith I agree has potential as a 3pt shooter, I think he will be at least an average passer, setting screens/sealing lanes i'm honestly not sure. I still go back to the defense.  In the playoffs vs Miami I don't see him guarding Bam. Bam gave Theis fits and I think Theis moves better laterally then Smith.

It wont be like Smith will be able to completely neutralize Bam. But on the flipside Smith will also present problem just by his presence(Stretch ability).  Defensively Smith has a higher rebounding/shot block ceiling than Theis.  Smith is a bit more quicker and explosive. Better shooter/drive to basket. Plus 6'10 vs 6'8

Look at the clip below.  Theis on his best day couldnt do this

https://youtu.be/d4k59T74uWI

Of course he could. He did it several times in playoffs.

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2020, 05:20:09 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Saw this trade on The Ringer, and it looked interesting to me. It involved us trading #26 and #30 for Minnesota's pick at #17, and we picked Precious Achiuwa at 17. The mock draft as a whole had us getting RJ Hampton and Precious Achiuwa. What do you think of our draft going like that?
Those aren't guys I personally would take, but I definitely get this attitude. Would be really going all in and taking guys with high potential, but are no sure thing. Achiuwa and Hampton both have really high ceilings, but a somewhat unknown floor.

As far as I can see there are two schools of thought about our drafting. Either we're close enough to compete to just swing for the fences, or we're close enough to compete, we just need to add specific role players through the draft.

I wouldn't mind this at all.  Gives me my guard and everyone else's big they want.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2020, 05:52:00 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Saw this trade on The Ringer, and it looked interesting to me. It involved us trading #26 and #30 for Minnesota's pick at #17, and we picked Precious Achiuwa at 17. The mock draft as a whole had us getting RJ Hampton and Precious Achiuwa. What do you think of our draft going like that?
Those aren't guys I personally would take, but I definitely get this attitude. Would be really going all in and taking guys with high potential, but are no sure thing. Achiuwa and Hampton both have really high ceilings, but a somewhat unknown floor.

As far as I can see there are two schools of thought about our drafting. Either we're close enough to compete to just swing for the fences, or we're close enough to compete, we just need to add specific role players through the draft.

I wouldn't mind this at all.  Gives me my guard and everyone else's big they want.

I would be surprised to see Precious be available at 17. May not be available at 14.

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2020, 09:31:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Watch below his scouting report weakness. Poor shooter and passing skills at the moment

Okongwu D is not leaps better like you describe.  It is better but there is room for Smith to improve.  Where as Okongwu is a solid D big but his offensive ceiling is hard to gauge. His jump shot needs work. Awkward looking form.

I ask again, what difference are we looking at between Okongwu and Timelord really?

Scenerio: in the playoffs, a smart team can lay layoff Timelord/Okongwu.   Where a stretch big like Smith forces Bam come out to guard him out to the perimeter, opening up space underneath the basket. Making Brown, Tatum, Walker life a little easier
Man, you don't need perimeter skills on offence if you're an elite roll man. His athleticism and soft touch inside make him a threat to score whenever he's in the key, and he's a great offensive rebounder to go alongside his great vertical spacing.

Okongwu is not merely a "solid D big". That's so over the top dismissive of his ability. He's good in every PnR coverage, can defend multiple positions, plays longer than his wingspan and height, is the best shot-blocker in the class, and is only 19.

Okongwu is better at both ends than Timelord. That's the difference.

Didn't we layoff Bam? Did that help us slow down Miami's shooters? What about Miami laying off Dwight and McGee?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2020, 10:37:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Scenerio: in the playoffs, a smart team can lay layoff Timelord/Okongwu.   Where a stretch big like Smith forces Bam come out to guard him out to the perimeter, opening up space underneath the basket. Making Brown, Tatum, Walker life a little easier
Man, you don't need perimeter skills on offence if you're an elite roll man. His athleticism and soft touch inside make him a threat to score whenever he's in the key, and he's a great offensive rebounder to go alongside his great vertical spacing.

Okongwu is not merely a "solid D big". That's so over the top dismissive of his ability. He's good in every PnR coverage, can defend multiple positions, plays longer than his wingspan and height, is the best shot-blocker in the class, and is only 19.

Didn't we layoff Bam? Did that help us slow down Miami's shooters? What about Miami laying off Dwight and McGee?

What does laying off Bam have to do with Okongwu?  Bam can pass and is one of the premier passing big man.  Also can drive to the basket for finishes on his own.   He can be trusted to make decisions with the ball

Miami did lay off Dwight and McGee. Thats why in game 4, 5 and 6, they didn't play many important mins. McGee was like a ghost ineffective

Okongwu rolling ability to the basket  ... Tristant Thompson comparison has been already brought up.  Also Clint Capela comparison is another good one

IF you are telling me,  Okongwu is that elite as a roll man.   In todays NBA that is not enough and can be prepared for.   If you told me Okongwu is also a very good passer  ....  then his rolling to the basket capabilities is heightened  ... just like Bam

Btw Okongwu is the best shot blocker?  He blocked 76 last season and Smith blocked 74 shots.  Oturu blocked 76 shots. Azubike 80 total blocks etc  I don't understand how you are coming up with this conclusion.   

This may sound like I'm down on Okongwu....but I feel like you are too high on him.  Like he is going to be the next Bam....   

At the end of the day, we could argue about Okongwu game/potential....but realistically we have a very low chance to draft him/trade up for him.   My focus has turned to Smith.  Who also can shoot the 3 which Brad likes

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2020, 10:43:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Though mock drafts have predicted Quickley to go late in the first round or somewhere in the second, some believe the 6-3 guard could end up going in Miami’s range at 20, and the Heat is showing a lot of interest. One NBA evaluator told me he thought the 30s was more realistic, but there are some people in the industry who like him earlier than that. – via Miami Herald

ugh , I hate the Heat. 

I'm hoping he slips 26 or 30 to the Celts

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2020, 10:53:31 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Is Okongwu really better as a roll man than Williams? Williams' passing and absurd catch radius + athleticism make him a really good roll man imo.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2020, 12:03:49 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Is Okongwu really better as a roll man than Williams? Williams' passing and absurd catch radius + athleticism make him a really good roll man imo.
I do think so, especially given the age gap. Okongwu doesn't have the raw athletic tools (main difference is shorter wingspan) but I think his screen-setting and footwork is off the charts as a roll man. He slips really well, can nail people with physical screens, has the ability to short roll and attack off the dribble (his passing could do with development here to make him a true weapon in the short roll), and he can finish with both aggression and polish.

His PnR game is super well balanced for a teenage big man. This video shows an array of what he can do in the PnR:

https://youtu.be/nulhicMWpvo?t=206
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2020, 12:22:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I do think so, especially given the age gap. Okongwu doesn't have the raw athletic tools (main difference is shorter wingspan) but I think his screen-setting and footwork is off the charts as a roll man. He slips really well, can nail people with physical screens, has the ability to short roll and attack off the dribble (his passing could do with development here to make him a true weapon in the short roll), and he can finish with both aggression and polish.

His PnR game is super well balanced for a teenage big man. This video shows an array of what he can do in the PnR:

https://youtu.be/nulhicMWpvo?t=206
Oh nice. That dribble game and screening IQ is definitely something that Timelord doesn't have.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: 10/29 Draft Buzz (11/9 update)
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2020, 09:49:58 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2915414-2020-nba-draft-buzz-emerging-point-guards-and-latest-rumors

Notes from article

Teams will not waste workouts as they are limited to 10 and traveling out of state requires quarantine
                    Toppin.           Cavs
https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-draft-workout-obi-toppin-this-week

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article246759051.html

Hornets appear to want Wiseman, this could lead to a trade up to 1st or 2nd pick.

11/9

Adding to the above draft Buzz ESPN and Givony just posted an article and to paraphrase it..

1. Ball, Wiseman and Edwards appear to be a lock to go top 3. The Bulls, Pistons, and OKC are the popular picks as teams who might make a push to trade up for Ball at #1.

2. Avdija, Toppin, Okoro, Haliburton, Okongwu and P Williams seem like the likely 4-9 picks with Williams getting strong buzz at #7

3. After pick 9 Givony is reporting that things really open up with Vassel, Hayes, Nesmith, Maxey, Achiuwa, Lewis and S Bey all likely to go in the top 20

My biggest take away for the Celtics is the fact that Hayes could be available in the 9-12 range. If Washington is sitting at 9 with Okongwu off the board I would love to see the Cs move up to grab Hayes. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2020, 10:01:24 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

11/9

Adding to the above draft Buzz ESPN and Givony just posted an article and to paraphrase it..

1. Ball, Wiseman and Edwards appear to be a lock to go top 3. The Bulls, Pistons, and OKC are the popular picks as teams who might make a push to trade up for Ball at #1.

2. Avdija, Toppin, Okoro, Haliburton, Okongwu and P Williams seem like the likely 4-9 picks with Williams getting strong buzz at #7

3. After pick 9 Givony is reporting that things really open up with Vassel, Hayes, Nesmith, Maxey, Achiuwa, Lewis and S Bey all likely to go in the top 20

My biggest take away for the Celtics is the fact that Hayes could be available in the 9-12 range. If Washington is sitting at 9 with Okongwu off the board I would love to see the Cs move up to grab Hayes.

If Hayes or Haliburton are there at 9, and the Celtics have not already leapfrogged above this pick, then I think they absolutely trade up with Washington for that pick.

I wonder what the deal would look like though?
Would it be a player plus pick for 9?
multiple picks for #9?
or players and picks for players and picks.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2020, 10:39:24 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

11/9

the Maxey verses Lewis debate lives!  If we don't get a guard at 14, I hope for Quickley later in the draft.  Of the group above, I like Bey for solidity and Achiuwa for fit/upside/gamble (assuming Vassell not available at 14...Vassell would make my draft night)..

Moving up to 9 for Hayes also would be exciting.

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

11/9

If Hayes or Haliburton are there at 9, and the Celtics have not already leapfrogged above this pick, then I think they absolutely trade up with Washington for that pick.

I wonder what the deal would look like though?
Would it be a player plus pick for 9?
multiple picks for #9?
or players and picks for players and picks.

To move up to #9 I would think that #14 and #26 should be enough. Last draft the 76ers traded #24 and #33 to the Cs to move up to #20. I would also seem if the Wizards would be interested in adding Semi as a minor deal sweetener. If they are making a playoff push having him to guard Giannis might be a nice option.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2020, 10:46:38 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I like Maxey's defense a lot. The Kentucky system is notorious for hiding the offensive NBA skills of their players. It's hard to figure out if he actually has limitations or that's a system problem.

If Ainge likes him, I'd be on board. Those are things you can only really see in workouts and interviews.

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2020, 11:20:16 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm very leery of Kentucky "Shooters".

My guy is still RJ Hampton (if we stay at 14).  Nothing I've seen or read has knocked me off of that.  Yes, I know we need big help.  That's where I'm hoping we can take 26 and 33 and move into the 20 +/- range and get some help in the form of Zeke Nnaji maybe.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."