Author Topic: 10/29 Draft Buzz (11/9 update)  (Read 12933 times)

Re: 10/29 Draft Buzz
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2020, 07:09:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
As far as big men go, I'll say that Smith is probably the 4th best big in the draft, and will definitely be the best big available at 14.

Nice recent film review with Mike Schmitz os nba draft espn. He needs to add weight but doesnt shy from physical contact. Able to recover and block shots (example vs 260 pound Wesson)
https://youtu.be/2cvNmncN2cc

He is ranked 4th but to some teams may be a spot higher due to stretch ability.

I have him ranked higher than Toppin who is heavy foot on D. Especially perimeter D

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2020, 07:18:04 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2915414-2020-nba-draft-buzz-emerging-point-guards-and-latest-rumors

Notes from article

Teams will not waste workouts as they are limited to 10 and traveling out of state requires quarantine
     the following workouts reported
                    Lewis jr. Magic, Knicks, Pistons, Bulls
                    Haliburton. Mavs * not from this article
                    S Bey. Mavs* not from this article
                    RJ Hamptom,. Celtics not from this article
                    Toppin.           Cavs
https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-draft-workout-obi-toppin-this-week

Poku linked to Blazers and Mavs

Pritchard getting first round buzz

Terry linked to Lakers, Bucks, and 76ers

Washington wants Okongwu or will look to trade back

Hayes is receiving interest from Pistons, Knicks, Hawks, and Kings

Nesmith getting interest from Suns

Patrick Williams is getting top twin buzz namely from Pistons

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article246759051.html

Hornets appear to want Wiseman, this could lead to a trade up to 1st or 2nd pick.

nice

-but Wizards have no avenue to move up for Okongwu. Unless they are willing to include Hachimuira in a trade. Unlikely

-Hornets have some decent assets to move up to 1st or 2nd.  Bridges, Washington,  Graham

- Terry won't get past the 76ers at 21

- very curious to see what Suns, Spurs, Pelicans will do

I assume that they hope Okongwu falls to their pick (washington that is) several Mocks have him on the board when they select.

Can't see Okongwu getting past the Cavs.   Hornets could also nab him at 3 if Wiseman is not available

If slips to 7,  I would want Danny to think about trading the 1sts for Okongwu

Okongwu looks so much like Bam on the floor it's crazy. I'm not sure the passing and handle are there but the way he moves is real good.

Let me preface this by saying: I'd be ecstatic to get Okongwu. I think his PnR defense could be elite sooner rather than later. He screams modern big. I also think he could be a legit option to playmake on short rolls in the PnR on offense.

Bam is alot more explosive though. Bam also is a great dribbler/passer. I dont think Okongwu would get to THAT level, but I'd love to have him.

Watching more tapes on Okongwu as of late.  I think his lack of quality perimeter skills is not going to bring in strong interest from the Celts.  At least not by trading 3 1st to move up.   What really differentiates Okongwu from Timelord?? 

Instead I see the Celts have more interest in Jalen Smith.    He is one of the more explosive/quick  bigs from this class but also can shoot the 3 and has a nice straight line drive ability  (if guarded too tightly at the 3 line  or against slow defenders)

Even for Smith, Celtics may have to trade down a few spots as there are rumors that Pelicans,  Spurs,  Kings could be interested

I would consider trading 14, 30, Edwards for example to Wizards for their 9th pick

9th: Jalen Smith
26. Immanuel Quickley
47: Nate Hinton

Most draft boards don't have Jalen Smith being taken until late teens/early twenties, and you want to trade up to 9th pick to draft him.

Seriously?

Yup

He is 14 on nbadraft mock board and 13 on a few others

Smith is considered the 4th best big of the draft. Imo 3rd best because he is a better defender than Toppin. Adv over Okongwu also because he can shoot the ball.

My quick rankings of this classes bigs

1. Wiseman

2. Okongwu

3a Achiuwa
3b Toppin

4a Tillman
4b Nnaji
4c Poku

5a Smith
5b Azubuike
5c Stewart

Outside of these 10 I’m not sold that the rest are worth drafting (I view Reed as a big wing project unless he measures bigger the 6’8 and 220lbs)

As for Smith I fear he is January Johnson 2.0, a really good college big who can shoot and block shots but isn’t big enough to be a drop rim protector or quick enough to to switch.

As for Okongwu I think he will be a good long term NBA big, I fear that the rise of Bam and his rise to a likely top 10 pick will burden him with unrealistic expectations.

As for Celtics fits,

I’ve long been a huge Tillman fan. His IQ and toughness should allow him to play a similar role to Theis.

Achiuwa is an interesting fit in that he is an elite athlete who could be Faried 2.0 but more dynamic with the ball in the open court. If he buys it a Theis like undersized 5 role and becomes a solid screen setter coupled with his grab and go ability he could be an interesting Cs for.

Nnaji, seems like a late draft riser. He measured out well (almost identical to Greg Monroe) and is rumored to look really good shooting the 3 in practices and workouts.

Azubuike, a counter intuitive fit but he could be amazing in a 15-20mpg role. His size and explosiveness would give the Cs a package of rim protection, rebounding and rim running that they don’t have in one player.
Who's January Johnson? Honestly have no idea, and google didn't show me anything. Regardless, I think Smith is a way better prospect than you're giving him credit for. Shot blockers with a great 3pt shot don't grow on trees.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2020, 07:20:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2915414-2020-nba-draft-buzz-emerging-point-guards-and-latest-rumors

Notes from article

Teams will not waste workouts as they are limited to 10 and traveling out of state requires quarantine
                    Toppin.           Cavs
https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-draft-workout-obi-toppin-this-week

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/charlotte-hornets/article246759051.html

Hornets appear to want Wiseman, this could lead to a trade up to 1st or 2nd pick.

nice

-but Wizards have no avenue to move up for Okongwu. Unless they are willing to include Hachimuira in a trade. Unlikely

-Hornets have some decent assets to move up to 1st or 2nd.  Bridges, Washington,  Graham

I assume that they hope Okongwu falls to their pick (washington that is) several Mocks have him on the board when they select.

Can't see Okongwu getting past the Cavs.   Hornets could also nab him at 3 if Wiseman is not available

Okongwu looks so much like Bam on the floor it's crazy. I'm not sure the passing and handle are there but the way he moves is real good.

Let me preface this by saying: I'd be ecstatic to get Okongwu. I think his PnR defense could be elite sooner rather than later. He screams modern big. I also think he could be a legit option to playmake on short rolls in the PnR on offense.

Bam is alot more explosive though. Bam also is a great dribbler/passer. I dont think Okongwu would get to THAT level, but I'd love to have him.

Watching more tapes on Okongwu as of late.  I think his lack of quality perimeter skills is not going to bring in strong interest from the Celts.  At least not by trading 3 1st to move up.   What really differentiates Okongwu from Timelord?? 

Instead I see the Celts have more interest in Jalen Smith.    He is one of the more explosive/quick  bigs from this class but also can shoot the 3 and has a nice straight line drive ability  (if guarded too tightly at the 3 line  or against slow defenders)

Even for Smith, Celtics may have to trade down a few spots as there are rumors that Pelicans,  Spurs,  Kings could be interested

I would consider trading 14, 30, Edwards for example to Wizards for their 9th pick

26. Immanuel Quickley

Most draft boards don't have Jalen Smith being taken until late teens/early twenties, and you want to trade up to 9th pick to draft him.

Seriously?

Yup

Smith is considered the 4th best big of the draft. Imo 3rd best because he is a better defender than Toppin. Adv over Okongwu also because he can shoot the ball.

1. Wiseman

2. Okongwu

3a Achiuwa
3b Toppin

4a Tillman
4b Nnaji
4c Poku

5a Smith
5b Azubuike
5c Stewart

Outside of these 10 I’m not sold that the rest are worth drafting (I view Reed as a big wing project unless he measures bigger the 6’8 and 220lbs)

As for Smith I fear he is January Johnson 2.0, a really good college big who can shoot and block shots but isn’t big enough to be a drop rim protector or quick enough to to switch.

As for Okongwu I think he will be a good long term NBA big, I fear that the rise of Bam and his rise to a likely top 10 pick will burden him with unrealistic expectations.

As for Celtics fits,

I’ve long been a huge Tillman fan. His IQ and toughness should allow him to play a similar role to Theis.

Achiuwa is an interesting fit in that he is an elite athlete who could be Faried 2.0 but more dynamic with the ball in the open court. If he buys it a Theis like undersized 5 role and becomes a solid screen setter coupled with his grab and go ability he could be an interesting Cs for.

Nnaji, seems like a late draft riser. He measured out well (almost identical to Greg Monroe) and is rumored to look really good shooting the 3 in practices and workouts.

Azubuike, a counter intuitive fit but he could be amazing in a 15-20mpg role. His size and explosiveness would give the Cs a package of rim protection, rebounding and rim running that they don’t have in one player.

Okongwu at best could turn out to be Tristant Thompson. Maybe a little bit better perimeter skills ... but minus the dogfight ability TT presents

He is not even close to Bam on the perimeter(offense skills). So the comparison overall is off

Achiuwa is a physical marvel. Like you said, like a faried. But he has a terrible jump shooting stroke and when near the basket will try to power the ball in.  No matter what. Instead of passing the ball.  Make ill advised passes on the drive when he has no business trying etc.   Maybe it could be cleaned up... but a team will need to be willing to be patient/take the risk it pays off

If Smith cant add mass(I think he will)... well you still get a stretch 4 that can rebound, block shots and shoot the 3. Like Christian Woods, John Collins.

Whats wrong with that?

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:33:24 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2020, 07:26:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Btw Jajuan Johnson shot 29 percent from 3 in his senior year in college. And 5.6 rebounds per game in his 2nd year in college

Jalen Smith shot 36 percent from 3 and 10.5 rebounds per game in his 2nd season

Smith is a much better prospect
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 07:53:50 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2020, 11:50:45 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I like that the C's are going to have Hampton in.  It would be really hard to pass him up at 14 if they remain there.  He's my Walker long term replacement.

Second on my list is Bey, if they are determined to draft a scorer, but we're just adding another swing into the deep mix.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2020, 11:56:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

Smith is not better than Okongwu, lol

Adv via stretch ability. Not overall

Okongwu has poor perimeter skills. Even Timelord has more perimeter skills

Defensively they are close. Okongwu at the moment has 15 pounds weight adv

Cant see why Smith cant add weight.
They really, really are not close defensively. Smith is a bad perimeter defender, Okongwu is elite at all defensive aspects
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2020, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

1. Wiseman

2. Okongwu

3a Achiuwa
3b Toppin

4a Tillman
4b Nnaji
4c Poku

5a Smith
5b Azubuike
5c Stewart

As for Celtics fits,

Okongwu at best could turn out to be Tristant Thompson. Maybe a little bit better perimeter skills ... but minus the dogfight ability TT presents

Lol, seriously? At best? You surely don't actually believe that if you've like, ever watched him play

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2020, 12:15:30 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Saw this trade on The Ringer, and it looked interesting to me. It involved us trading #26 and #30 for Minnesota's pick at #17, and we picked Precious Achiuwa at 17. The mock draft as a whole had us getting RJ Hampton and Precious Achiuwa. What do you think of our draft going like that?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2020, 12:18:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Saw this trade on The Ringer, and it looked interesting to me. It involved us trading #26 and #30 for Minnesota's pick at #17, and we picked Precious Achiuwa at 17. The mock draft as a whole had us getting RJ Hampton and Precious Achiuwa. What do you think of our draft going like that?
Those aren't guys I personally would take, but I definitely get this attitude. Would be really going all in and taking guys with high potential, but are no sure thing. Achiuwa and Hampton both have really high ceilings, but a somewhat unknown floor.

As far as I can see there are two schools of thought about our drafting. Either we're close enough to compete to just swing for the fences, or we're close enough to compete, we just need to add specific role players through the draft.

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2020, 12:38:18 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

I like the idea of the trade, I like the idea of drafting Hampton at 14.

I do not like Precious at all, and I would pick one of:
Smith
Stewart
Oturu

If team is looking at a scorer and a big in those slots
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2020, 01:19:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

1. Wiseman

2. Okongwu

3a Achiuwa
3b Toppin

4a Tillman
4b Nnaji
4c Poku

5a Smith
5b Azubuike
5c Stewart

As for Celtics fits,

Lol, seriously? At best? You surely don't actually believe that if you've like, ever watched him play

Ok ... what decent perimeter skills does Okongwu posses??

Watch below his scouting report weakness. Poor shooter and passing skills at the moment

https://youtu.be/dPFzWZfnJUY

For Jalen Smith the 2nd bullit point. Regarding his defensive impact

https://youtu.be/XfKPIOh1LFE

Okongwu D is not leaps better like you describe.  It is better but there is room for Smith to improve.  Where as Okongwu is a solid D big but his offensive ceiling is hard to gauge. His jump shot needs work. Awkward looking form.

I ask again, what difference are we looking at between Okongwu and Timelord really?

Scenerio: in the playoffs, a smart team can lay layoff Timelord/Okongwu.   Where a stretch big like Smith forces Bam come out to guard him out to the perimeter, opening up space underneath the basket. Making Brown, Tatum, Walker life a little easier
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:34:45 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2020, 02:13:39 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Jalen Smith seems like a promising prospect.  In general, there is an element of chance in any draft pick so I prefer it if the Celtics take a chance on a full sized big like Smith.  Whether that means try to get him at 14 or 26, I don't know.  Checking the Youtube highlights, he showed everything I would want to see in a raw, progressing, 20 year old big.

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2020, 02:21:04 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

1. Wiseman

2. Okongwu

3a Achiuwa
3b Toppin

4a Tillman
4b Nnaji
4c Poku

5a Smith
5b Azubuike
5c Stewart

As for Celtics fits,

Watch below his scouting report weakness. Poor shooter and passing skills at the moment

Okongwu D is not leaps better like you describe.  It is better but there is room for Smith to improve.  Where as Okongwu is a solid D big but his offensive ceiling is hard to gauge. His jump shot needs work. Awkward looking form.

I ask again, what difference are we looking at between Okongwu and Timelord really?

Scenerio: in the playoffs, a smart team can lay layoff Timelord/Okongwu.   Where a stretch big like Smith forces Bam come out to guard him out to the perimeter, opening up space underneath the basket. Making Brown, Tatum, Walker life a little easier

Okongwu has shown considerably more offensive touch around the rim than Timelord. He has jump hooks in both directions. He scored a very efficient 16 ppg as a frosh in the Pac 10.

One problem Williams has is that even though he's a superior athlete, he doesn't show elite skills covering on switches against smaller players. He has some exciting defensive potential, but that's why he didn't play much against Miami.

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2020, 02:25:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

1. Wiseman

2. Okongwu

3a Achiuwa
3b Toppin

4a Tillman
4b Nnaji
4c Poku

5a Smith
5b Azubuike
5c Stewart

As for Celtics fits,

Scenario: in the playoffs, a smart team can lay layoff Timelord/Okongwu.   Where a stretch big like Smith forces Bam come out to guard him out to the perimeter, opening up space underneath the basket. Making Brown, Tatum, Walker life a little easier

First off I think all top end expectations for this draft class need to be kept in check.

The Okongwu / Tristan Thompson comp though imperfect is one that I would consider fair for ultimate ceiling outcome. At his best Thompson is a 12pt 10rb big who is capable of defending at a high enough level to be the starting 5 on a championship level team. At his peak outcome Okongwu could be slightly better but as a player who will fill a very similar role I don't expect a huge difference in their ceilings. In this draft if teams where guaranteed Tristan Thompson I believe that outcome is a lock for a top 5 pick.

As for the R Williams / Okongwu comp it starts and ends with bball IQ. Williams physical tools are superior to Okongwu but he just hasn't figured it out on the court and may never. This is especially true when it comes his P&R defense.

As for how a player like Okongwu performs on offense in the playoffs, he is setting screens and diving to the rim or forcing switches. This is no different from 75% of the bigs in the NBA.

In terms of the Celtics big man skill hierarchy I would say its the following

Offense.
1. Screen setting/sealing lanes
2. Passing
3. 3pt Shooting / Rim running

Defense
1. IQ
2. Solid as either a switch or drop big

Smith I agree has potential as a 3pt shooter, I think he will be at least an average passer, setting screens/sealing lanes i'm honestly not sure. I still go back to the defense.  In the playoffs vs Miami I don't see him guarding Bam. Bam gave Theis fits and I think Theis moves better laterally then Smith. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2020, 02:51:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Notes from article

Toppin.           Cavs

nice

26. Immanuel Quickley

Seriously?

Yup

1. Wiseman

2. Okongwu

3a Achiuwa
3b Toppin

4a Tillman
4b Nnaji
4c Poku

5a Smith
5b Azubuike
5c Stewart

As for Celtics fits,

Scenario: in the playoffs, a smart team can lay layoff Timelord/Okongwu.   Where a stretch big like Smith forces Bam come out to guard him out to the perimeter, opening up space underneath the basket. Making Brown, Tatum, Walker life a little easier

First off I think all top end expectations for this draft class need to be kept in check.

The Okongwu / Tristan Thompson comp though imperfect is one that I would consider fair for ultimate ceiling outcome. At his best Thompson is a 12pt 10rb big who is capable of defending at a high enough level to be the starting 5 on a championship level team. At his peak outcome Okongwu could be slightly better but as a player who will fill a very similar role I don't expect a huge difference in their ceilings. In this draft if teams where guaranteed Tristan Thompson I believe that outcome is a lock for a top 5 pick.

As for the R Williams / Okongwu comp it starts and ends with bball IQ. Williams physical tools are superior to Okongwu but he just hasn't figured it out on the court and may never. This is especially true when it comes his P&R defense.

As for how a player like Okongwu performs on offense in the playoffs, he is setting screens and diving to the rim or forcing switches. This is no different from 75% of the bigs in the NBA.

In terms of the Celtics big man skill hierarchy I would say its the following

Offense.
1. Screen setting/sealing lanes
2. Passing
3. 3pt Shooting / Rim running

Defense
1. IQ
2. Solid as either a switch or drop big

Smith I agree has potential as a 3pt shooter, I think he will be at least an average passer, setting screens/sealing lanes i'm honestly not sure. I still go back to the defense.  In the playoffs vs Miami I don't see him guarding Bam. Bam gave Theis fits and I think Theis moves better laterally then Smith.

It wont be like Smith will be able to completely neutralize Bam. But on the flipside Smith will also present problem just by his presence(Stretch ability).  Defensively Smith has a higher rebounding/shot block ceiling than Theis.  Smith is a bit more quicker and explosive. Better shooter/drive to basket. Plus 6'10 vs 6'8

Some more Smith highlights

https://youtu.be/d4k59T74uWI

https://youtu.be/51_14SfjeWI

In terms of bigs. I'm good with Smith or Okongwu(likely out of reach)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:05:56 PM by Tr1boy »