Author Topic: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look: Conference Finals winners announced!!  (Read 89880 times)

Re: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2020, 07:29:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

2 Finals MVPs, numerous Championship between Parker and Dirk, solid offense from Dirk-Embiid-GH and defensive anchor in Embiid.

Trying to visualize how Dirk & Embiid would work together.  Having a bit of a tough time there.

Great pick with Parker as the floor general.

I think I answered this with Roy's post...please let me know if I didn't. Dirk's deep threat and total offense will be enough to keep Embiid out of a lot of doubles.

For the record - I plan on using Dirk / Embiid a LOT with the offense...with Tony and GH filling in otherwise.

OR - If GH and TP get hot I believe we have the team chemistry to keep getting them the ball.

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2020, 07:35:30 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

2 Finals MVPs, numerous Championship between Parker and Dirk, solid offense from Dirk-Embiid-GH and defensive anchor in Embiid.

I thought about it for a while last night (well, it was night time in the PH), and I still can't figure out how I'm going to contain a Tony Parker - Dirk Nowizki pick and roll. That is going to be an absolute problem in this league.

I'm curious about which Joel Embiid year you're using, as, of course, we all know his biggest concern are injuries.

I'll probably use his 18-19 year.

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2020, 07:39:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

I think the pieces work well.  I can see Parker / Dirk / Gordon playing roles similar to Parker / Duncan / Manu.  Where does Embiid fit in offensively?  What are you asking him to do for you?

I can see Embiid filling a very similar role as Tim Duncan offensively - good low post offense but nearly as physically dominant as say Shaq or Alonzo Mourning or Dwight.

Great footwork with him as well.

Embiid can also make enough 3s to keep a defense honest. Foul him and he makes a good % of FTs.

Embiid - when compared to the Bigs of this draft - has an AST% of 18.4, with Dirk's being 14.2.

Tim Duncan's AST%, in comparison, was 19.5. Shaq's was 19.3. Both of these players had better teammates than Embiid does in PHI atm.

Embiid - when he may be incapable of scoring due to doubles or triples or great one on one defense, should be able to get the ball to an open teammate enough to punish defenses.
I wouldn't go all out defending Embiid's passing. He is a good passer and you don't need and won't use him as a main passing cog in your offense, so if he isn't an "elite" passer, it's no big deal.

You have very good to excellent passers/floor generals in Parker and Hayward. All Embiid will have to do is on make the right pass. He is extremely capable of that.

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2020, 07:52:22 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

I think the pieces work well.  I can see Parker / Dirk / Gordon playing roles similar to Parker / Duncan / Manu.  Where does Embiid fit in offensively?  What are you asking him to do for you?

I can see Embiid filling a very similar role as Tim Duncan offensively - good low post offense but nearly as physically dominant as say Shaq or Alonzo Mourning or Dwight.

Embiid can also make enough 3s to keep a defense honest. Foul him and he makes a good % of FTs.

Embiid - when compared to the Bigs of this draft - has an AST% of 18.4, with Dirk's being 14.2.

Tim Duncan's AST%, in comparison, was 19.5. Shaq's was 19.3. Both of these players had better teammates than Embiid does in PHI atm.

Embiid - when he may be incapable of scoring due to doubles or triples or great one on one defense, should be able to get the ball to an open teammate enough to punish defenses.
I wouldn't go all out defending Embiid's passing. He is a good passer and you don't need and won't use him as a main passing cog in your offense, so if he isn't an "elite" passer, it's no big deal.

You have very good to excellent passers/floor generals in Parker and Hayward. All Embiid will have to do is on make the right pass. He is extremely capable of that.

No worries on Embiid's passing. After doing some research based off of Somebody's post I actually found his AST% to be nearly as good as Shaq's and Duncan's.

Not excellent like I was stating early but good, easily.

I am, though, having a hard time believing that Embiid won't be a main cog in the offense of this team. His physical game is similar to Shaq's or Mourning's or Dwight's.

While he may not average 27 like he did in 18-19 I can see him in the low 20s easily.

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2020, 07:56:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

No worries on Embiid's passing. After doing some research based off of Somebody's post I actually found his AST% to be nearly as good as Shaq's and Duncan's.

I am, though, having a hard time believing that Embiid won't be a main cog in the offense of this team. His physical game is similar to Shaq's or Mourning's or Dwight's.

While he may not average 27 like he did in 18-19 I can see him in the low 20s easily.
I said main passing cog. He won't be Big Al in Boston or Jokic in Denver, the guy the offense initiates and flows through. But the offense will flow to Embiid and because of that, he will be an important cog in your offense.

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2020, 08:00:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

I said main passing cog. He won't be Big Al in Boston or Jokic in Denver, the guy the offense initiates and flows through. But the offense will flow to Embiid and because of that, he will be an important cog in your offense.

Gotcha...understand it now thanks.

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2020, 08:40:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Want to take a minute to give my thoughts on a few of my favourite teams. In no particular order...

Boston: Despite stealing Marc Gasol from right under my nose, I love the makeup of this team. Durant is the most efficient high-level scorer (in terms of repeatedly putting up points) we've seen since Bird, and he's put alongside another 50/40/90 guy in Nash. Crazy stuff. Nash is also a top-3 passer available in the draft pool, so that could unlock some real fun.
The Gasol brothers are great too. Great passing, good scoring from all 3 levels, Pau is a good rebounder and Marc is an elite defender. And we know they have chemistry - they're brothers.
I'd like to see a defensive minded guard taken to be put alongside Nash, as I think he's rather weak defensively. Yet considering the offensive firepower, it doesn't need to be a guy who could score 20PPG too. A solid 3&D guy to basically stand in the corner and cut all over the place on offence would be awesome.

Milwaukee: The most physically imposing team of the group, which I think is extra impressive considering they don't have Shaq. This team wants to bury you inside and is not interested in making friends. A couple of great steals (Malone & Ginobili) who probably shouldn't have fallen as far as they did, and who probably weren't Roy's initial targets. However, I think they fit right in. Obviously there's a shooting concern, but there are a number of great shooters available to open up for that Hydra of inside forces.

Brooklyn: Another team that is heaps of fun. I loved prime T-Mac - thought he was going to compete with Kobe for the crown of best SG for years before he got hurt. Reuniting him with Yao and then adding in AD and Marion is great stuff. That is one hugely long team. Trying to score on this team is going to be an issue, especially at the rim. So much vertical spacing.

Utah: Shaq and Al up front is a real fire and ice duo, and I like it. Then you have one of the most underappreciated shooters ever on the wing, and a do it all dynamo point guard. Think you've constructed a roster to highlight Shaq's strengths and cover his weaknesses quite well, which is basically the key way to build around him. Everyone knows how much of a force he is.

Denver: I love the wildly different personalities on this team. I think the fire that GP and Draymond bring would really help Melo, but Timmy is always there whenever they need to be reigned in. Melo IMO shouldn't have really fallen this far, I rate him as highly as I rate Vince Carter, so he was a really strong pickup. Very interested to see where you go with the next two rounds.

Toronto: I love KG and The Admiral. Two amazing defensive bigs with different strengths on offence. Vince was a good pick, both in terms of fit and talent at the time available. Volume scorer who was efficient. I think there are better PG's available than Lowry, but conversely I think of the remaining All-Star level PG's he fits your team the best. Lowry and KG is tied for most annoying duo to face with Draymond and Payton.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2020, 08:43:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Now, if anyone would be so kind as to give a few thoughts on my Clippers:

PG: Steph Curry (2015-2016)
SG: Michael Redd (2005-2006)
SF: Grant Hill (1999-2000)
PF: Elton Brand (2005-2006)

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2020, 08:58:08 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Grant Hill is going to feast with the amount of deadly shooters you have around him. Of course Steph would get his too, and I assume Michael Redd will play the Klay Thompson role, so the fit is there.

I love that you have a post threat too, in case you need to slow the pace down.

Superbly built team. I'm assuming you're going for some sort of rebounding/rim protection next?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2020, 09:08:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Grant Hill is going to feast with the amount of deadly shooters you have around him. Of course Steph would get his too, and I assume Michael Redd will play the Klay Thompson role, so the fit is there.

Superbly built team. I'm assuming you're going for some sort of rebounding/rim protection next?
I am indeed. Hoping to surprise people with a left-field selection ;) Thanks for the kind words!

Btw, that guard who could really round out your team is still available!

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2020, 09:14:02 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I mean, in terms of team construction this is pretty much the blueprint, at least offensively.  Two excellent guards, a do everything SF, and a two-way big man who can play either front court position.

The fact that Hill’s season ended in catastrophic injury is a wild card.  In this alternative league, would he have had the same injury?  It’s a butterfly effect thing, so I’m willing to buy that he would have been healthy.

I’m curious to see what you do at center. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2020, 09:22:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I mean, in terms of team construction this is pretty much the blueprint, at least offensively.  Two excellent guards, a do everything SF, and a two-way big man who can play either front court position.

The fact that Hill’s season ended in catastrophic injury is a wild card.  In this alternative league, would he have had the same injury?  It’s a butterfly effect thing, so I’m willing to buy that he would have been healthy.

I’m curious to see what you do at center.
For the most part I’m giving guys the benefit of the doubt about injuries. Obviously, if a guy played 10 games and then got hurt I’m not going to somehow assume they’d be healthy, but with guys like Embiid and Roy I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt. Mainly just for fun.

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2020, 09:38:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I am indeed. Hoping to surprise people with a left-field selection ;) Thanks for the kind words!

Btw, that guard who could really round out your team is still available!

I know, but I might pick a left-field selection as well. We'll see. But I'm sort of leaning towards players I like than BPA.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2020, 09:50:16 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I love that you paired Steph with a splash brother.  Also, while you said this below earlier, I think you're wrong.  Steph is the most efficient high-level scorer we've seen since Bird.  You're in very good shape overall.

Durant is the most efficient high-level scorer (in terms of repeatedly putting up points) we've seen since Bird
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2020, 09:52:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I love that you paired Steph with a splash brother.  Also, while you said this below earlier, I think you're wrong.  Steph is the most efficient high-level scorer we've seen since Bird.  You're in very good shape overall.

Durant is the most efficient high-level scorer (in terms of repeatedly putting up points) we've seen since Bird
Ha, I’ll definitely take being wrong on that ;D I love the fit of Redd next to Curry. Awesome catch and shoot guy from deep