Author Topic: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look: Conference Finals winners announced!!  (Read 89649 times)

Re: 2020 Historic Draft: How’s My Team Look
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2020, 04:24:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Los Angeles Lakers

C: Nikola Jokic
F: Chris Webber
F:
G: Kobe Bryant
G: Damian Lillard

I love my team’s offense. Everyone can pass the ball and space the floor. Can run some high low action with Jokic and C-Webb. Jokic has the size to defend some of the bigger centers, and can pull them out of the paint with his floor spacing ability and open up driving lanes for Kobe. Also C-Webb is incredibly strong and while not a traditional rim protector, was a very underrated defender. Our pick and roll/pop with the combination of any of these 4 guys intrigues me too. Some might question the Jokic selection instead of picking a true rim protector at center- but the idea of having an open floor for Kobe and Dame was too intriguing. Not to mention Jokic is one of the best passing bigs of all time, and Webber is pretty elite in that category too. I’m not too worried about our defense, though obviously it’s not our strongest attribute. I think this team will dominate offensively and hold their own on D. A couple good 3 and D guys and I think we’re pretty dangerous.

Thoughts?

Love the offense from this team, especially up front.

I think Jokic - while better defensively than is believed - will struggle at times but he uses his size and footwork WELL....

He impressed me this season against BOS - where he had Kemba in front of him and Kemba tried to take it to the basket and Jokic deflected it.

I watched him during his play, and what impressed me the most was his footwork.

My other concern is whether Chris and Jokic will be ok with Dame and Kobe running the show....I'm guessing most of your points will come through those two which isn't bad at all...

Jokic will shine in this regard - unsure of how he'd feel with his scoring reduced but he is CERTAINLY capable of making that team shine offensively while scoring less himself.

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2020, 04:29:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Now for my team: Denver Nuggets:
PG: Gary Payton
SG: ??
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Draymond Green
C: Tim Duncan

If anyone has any suggestions/critiques, please let me know! If you feel like giving specific suggestions, you can pm me. I'd definitely appreciate it!

I was surprised by the Melo pickup. Not in a bad way. Just surprised. He is quite different to the other players on your team. Defense first guys with well rounded games. Team first all the way. Melo more focused on himself. That can be a good thing. Have a bit of selfishness in the group (Durant gives me some of that if my other guys are over-passing).

I am less clear on your team after Melo joining. I had a picture of how Timmy, Payton and Draymond would play together. Melo plays differently to the picture in my head. He doesn't share the ball as much as the others. He is more direct in his attacks. Like I said - not necessarily a bad thing, just different.

I am looking forward to seeing how you round your starting lineup. I don't know what is needed to round out the group (besides outside shooting). I can't picture it yet.
Yeah, Melo is definitely different from the other guys on my team. However, I think that's why he's gonna fit well. He doesn't have other similar player stepping on his toes. He has room to be the clear first option from the perimeter. In the NBA, Melo worked best with defense-first, unselfish guys like Kidd and Billups. Plus, he was easily the best scorer left on the board, I felt value and fits aligned quite well.
Oh, and world's better than the other guy you were thinking of, who I hope you stay away from.

Thing about Melo is in the other places he played(NCAA and Olympics), he was a champion and showed leadership and an ability to meld his talents to what was needed. His shooting efficiency is average but versatile and when he heats up....wow, he can't be stopped.

Given a lack of anyone on Denver to create their own offense when the offensive system breaks down, adding someone as good and successful at it as Melo in the 4th round is pretty great, in my book.

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2020, 04:53:32 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
How's my team look?

SG: '01-'02 Paul Pierce
SF: '18-'19 Paul George
PF: '15-'16 LaMarcus Aldridge
C : '03-'04 Ben Wallace

Years are still preliminary, but that's where I want to go for now.

I don’t have an issue with the fit of the players. They work together well.  I’d probably use Paul at SF and George at SG, but that’s a quibble.

But, we’ve all heard this one before:  championship teams need an MVP-level talent with few exceptions.  Your team has perhaps three guys who were top-10 in their eras, but not the super-duper star.  Does that critique stand up?

Yes it does. I don't know if the "Paul George ranked 3rd in MVP voting" argument will hold water, but that's as far as I can go with MVP level talent.

I guess I'll have to make sure I get more talented players in the remaining rounds to get at least some help.

You really should consider going with '07-08 Pierce (he did actually win a Finals MVP afterall).  That version of Pierce was able to go head to head with both LeBron and Kobe and come out on top, and probably could have done so against any version of either (doesn't mean he would but it does mean he could).  That wasn't his physical peak, and wasn't his best raw statistical year, but it was the most complete version of Pierce while he was still in his prime.

IDK what year of Paul George fits best with that version of Pierce, but that year for Pierce is your best bet to get an actual MVP-level performance from your current roster (IMO).

I can't remember who it was who said it a couple of days ago (sorry), but it's pretty much the same thing. I guess I really should really pick the 07-08 Paul Pierce. He is more well rounded that year too, and is already a leader. I just worry about the lack of athleticism at that point of The Captain's career (not that he's a great athlete to begin with, but he's significantly grounded at this point), which is why for now, I picked the 01-02 version. Much more younger, more fresh and a bit more mobile.

I think the 18-19 Paul George will fit just about anyone. He can play off ball. He's not necessarily a terrific playmaker but at 4 assists per game that year, he does find his teammates in an okay rate. If we are talking about peak years, this is by far his best, so it's hard to not choose this version.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2020, 04:55:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Boston Celtics

C: Marc Gasol
F: Pau Gasol
F: Kevin Durant
G:
G: Steve Nash

So my plan for this team solidified itself in the 4th round with the selection of Marc Gasol. I was going back and forth between building a team in this style (a big lineup) or whether to go with Pau at center alongside a quicker PF to play uptempo.

My team plan is similar to the Spanish National team - both because I admire their team makeup and because I got both of their starting bigs who formed the foundation of that team.

Twin towers alongside 3 outside shooters to space the floor for them. Basic enough. My twin towers are both highly gifted passers and with Nash at PG, this team should share the ball well. Unselfish guys who will look for the best shot for the team rather than just themselves.

The two Gasols should have fun playing together. The size they bring is going to be hard to beat. Their skill level will be hard to guard.

Having Steve Nash and Kevin Durant on the same team would wreck offensively. Both are quite unstoppable in their peaks, and both are posterchilds of efficiency. It'll be hard to stop this team from scoring.

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2020, 05:07:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Boston Celtics

C: Marc Gasol
F: Pau Gasol
F: Kevin Durant
G:
G: Steve Nash

So my plan for this team solidified itself in the 4th round with the selection of Marc Gasol. I was going back and forth between building a team in this style (a big lineup) or whether to go with Pau at center alongside a quicker PF to play uptempo.

My team plan is similar to the Spanish National team - both because I admire their team makeup and because I got both of their starting bigs who formed the foundation of that team.

Twin towers alongside 3 outside shooters to space the floor for them. Basic enough. My twin towers are both highly gifted passers and with Nash at PG, this team should share the ball well. Unselfish guys who will look for the best shot for the team rather than just themselves.

The two Gasols should have fun playing together. The size they bring is going to be hard to beat. Their skill level will be hard to guard.

Having Steve Nash and Kevin Durant on the same team would wreck offensively. Both are quite unstoppable in their peaks, and both are posterchilds of efficiency. It'll be hard to stop this team from scoring.
Agree. The offense, when properly filled out should be off the charts. They won't have to be a great defensive team. Just a team good enough at defense to win.

Durant and the Gasols go from above average to elite defensively and should be enough at the rim and coming from the weak side to properly hide Nash's poor defense. An excellent defender who can score or spread the floor at an elite level would be great to fill out the starting five. And there are tons of guys that can do that left in this draft.

Having an elite backcourt mate for Nash could go farther in hiding Nash defensively. And again, this team won't have to be great defensively to rack up wins because their offense is so good and ridiculously efficient. Being okay to good on defense should be enough to make a run for the conference finals.

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2020, 05:38:49 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m pretty psyched with my team, but I’ll open it up to analysis.

Alonzo Mourning
Karl Malone
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Manu Ginobili

That’s two MVPs, a DPOY and a four-time champion.  We’ll add shooting and somebody who can run the pick-and-roll at the PG position, I imagine.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2020, 05:52:19 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

2 Finals MVPs, numerous Championship between Parker and Dirk, solid offense from Dirk-Embiid-GH and defensive anchor in Embiid.

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

2 Finals MVPs, numerous Championship between Parker and Dirk, solid offense from Dirk-Embiid-GH and defensive anchor in Embiid.

I think the pieces work well.  I can see Parker / Dirk / Gordon playing roles similar to Parker / Duncan / Manu.  Where does Embiid fit in offensively?  What are you asking him to do for you?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2020, 06:37:44 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

I thought about it for a while last night (well, it was night time in the PH), and I still can't figure out how I'm going to contain a Tony Parker - Dirk Nowizki pick and roll. That is going to be an absolute problem in this league.

I'm curious about which Joel Embiid year you're using, as, of course, we all know his biggest concern are injuries.

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2020, 06:40:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
How's my team look?

SG: '01-'02 Paul Pierce
SF: '18-'19 Paul George
PF: '15-'16 LaMarcus Aldridge
C : '03-'04 Ben Wallace

Years are still preliminary, but that's where I want to go for now.

I don’t have an issue with the fit of the players. They work together well.  I’d probably use Paul at SF and George at SG, but that’s a quibble.

But, we’ve all heard this one before:  championship teams need an MVP-level talent with few exceptions.  Your team has perhaps three guys who were top-10 in their eras, but not the super-duper star.  Does that critique stand up?

Yes it does. I don't know if the "Paul George ranked 3rd in MVP voting" argument will hold water, but that's as far as I can go with MVP level talent.

I guess I'll have to make sure I get more talented players in the remaining rounds to get at least some help.

You really should consider going with '07-08 Pierce (he did actually win a Finals MVP afterall).  That version of Pierce was able to go head to head with both LeBron and Kobe and come out on top, and probably could have done so against any version of either (doesn't mean he would but it does mean he could).  That wasn't his physical peak, and wasn't his best raw statistical year, but it was the most complete version of Pierce while he was still in his prime.

IDK what year of Paul George fits best with that version of Pierce, but that year for Pierce is your best bet to get an actual MVP-level performance from your current roster (IMO).

I can't remember who it was who said it a couple of days ago (sorry), but it's pretty much the same thing. I guess I really should really pick the 07-08 Paul Pierce. He is more well rounded that year too, and is already a leader. I just worry about the lack of athleticism at that point of The Captain's career (not that he's a great athlete to begin with, but he's significantly grounded at this point), which is why for now, I picked the 01-02 version. Much more younger, more fresh and a bit more mobile.

I think the 18-19 Paul George will fit just about anyone. He can play off ball. He's not necessarily a terrific playmaker but at 4 assists per game that year, he does find his teammates in an okay rate. If we are talking about peak years, this is by far his best, so it's hard to not choose this version.
Pierce was a better player in 02.  I'd take that version, especially given your team makeup i.e. you need the athletic guy that can really play SG.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2020, 06:42:21 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I’m pretty psyched with my team, but I’ll open it up to analysis.

Alonzo Mourning
Karl Malone
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Manu Ginobili

That’s two MVPs, a DPOY and a four-time champion.  We’ll add shooting and somebody who can run the pick-and-roll at the PG position, I imagine.

Love the physicality of this squad.   Lot of muscle.    You got someone who can drive to the basket.  Someone who can play with his back to the basket.  A shooter who can also create & a defensive anchor. 

Interested to see who you round out your starting five with. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2020, 06:54:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

Trying to visualize how Dirk & Embiid would work together.  Having a bit of a tough time there.

Great pick with Parker as the floor general.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2020, 07:02:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

I thought about it for a while last night (well, it was night time in the PH), and I still can't figure out how I'm going to contain a Tony Parker - Dirk Nowizki pick and roll. That is going to be an absolute problem in this league.

I'm curious about which Joel Embiid year you're using, as, of course, we all know his biggest concern are injuries.
Why would he use anything other than 18-19 for Embiid?  27/13/3 has only been done 25 times.  The Toronto series showed Embiid can still dominate even when he's not particularly healthy and not efficient offensively. 

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

Why would he use anything other than 18-19 for Embiid?  27/13/3 has only been done 25 times.  The Toronto series showed Embiid can still dominate even when he's not particularly healthy and not efficient offensively.

Yeah, you're right. For some reason I thought his current season is faring better than last year without looking at the numbers. It has to be 18-19.

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2020, 07:25:18 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Thoughts about my team?

C - Joel Embiid
PF - Dirk
SF - Hayward
G -
PG - Tony Parker

I think the pieces work well.  I can see Parker / Dirk / Gordon playing roles similar to Parker / Duncan / Manu.  Where does Embiid fit in offensively?  What are you asking him to do for you?

I can see Embiid filling a very similar role as Tim Duncan offensively - good low post offense but nearly as physically dominant as say Shaq or Alonzo Mourning or Dwight.

Great footwork with him as well.

Embiid can also make enough 3s to keep a defense honest. Foul him and he makes a good % of FTs.

Embiid - when compared to the Bigs of this draft - has an AST% of 18.4, with Dirk's being 14.2.

Tim Duncan's AST%, in comparison, was 19.5. Shaq's was 19.3. Both of these players had better teammates than Embiid does in PHI atm.

Embiid - when he may be incapable of scoring due to doubles or triples or great one on one defense, should be able to get the ball to an open teammate enough to punish defenses.