Poll

Who would you rather have back, Powe or Pruitt?

Powe
56 (88.9%)
Pruitt
2 (3.2%)
Neither
5 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Poll: Who would you rather have back, Powe or Pruitt?  (Read 14617 times)

Poll: Who would you rather have back, Powe or Pruitt?
« on: May 18, 2009, 07:07:06 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Right now, the Celtics have two projects on the roster with guaranteed contracts, Bill Walker and J.R. Giddens.  I'm assuming that the front office learned a lesson, and wants to minimize the number of players who won't be contributing to the roster next season.

Assuming that the team only wishes to carry one additional project next season, would you rather have third-year player Gabe Pruitt, or the injured Leon Powe, expected to be back around February?

I say Powe.  Prior to his injury, Powe exemplified everything that it means to be a Celtic:  tough, hard-working, team-oriented, etc.  He's proven before that he'll do everything in his power to recover from injury, and let's not forget that a possible cause of his current injury was the fact that he came back early from an earlier injury to help lead this team into the playoffs.  When healthy, Powe brings a rebounding and post game that nobody else on the bench possesses.

As for Gabe...  he hasn't earned any minutes in two seasons -- despite the Celtics being desperate for a point guard -- and the only headlines he's made have been for an ill-advised DUI.  He'll get a chance to show what he can do at summer league, but thus far, his contributions have been few and far between.

For me, this is an easy one.  Keep Powe, and let Pruitt walk.  While some are going to say that we should replace both, I see no reason why we can't keep Powe on a 15 man roster when only 12 players are allowed to be active.  The key to this off-season is replacing Mikki's and Pruitt's slots with actual contributors, rather than cutting ties with Powe.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Poll: Who would you rather have back, Powe or Pruitt?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Speaking strictly in terms of demonstrated skill sets, I think we need Powe's rebounding more than Pruitt's . . . whatever.

Celtics hold a team option on Pruitt, correct? If so, I believe he could be traded on draft night to a team looking to cut a little payroll.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 07:14:38 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Poor Mr. Powe's going to available on the cheap.  Assuming the knee is fixed, I'd rather have him than Pru.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Speaking strictly in terms of demonstrated skill sets, I think we need Powe's rebounding more than Pruitt's . . . whatever.

Celtics hold a team option on Pruitt, correct? If so, I believe he could be traded on draft night to a team looking to cut a little payroll.

If this is possible, I like the idea. Trade Pruitt for a more useful player and the team that gets pruitt can turn down the team option. Celtics get a better player and the other team sheds salary. Granted I use the term "better" loosely. You won't get anyone very good, but maybe a prospect with more upside. Pruitt doesn't seem like an NBA player.

Now Powe is a no brainer. He's going to be the PJ Brown addition of 2010. The guy who joins us in the early spring and adds to our team for the playoff run. He'll be a much better spring addition than Mikki.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:22:47 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If it can only be one of them, then definitely Powe.

I do think Pruitt is fine third string point guard though. I'm comfortable with him returning to fill that role. It's not an either/or decision for me.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:22:55 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Having a poll asking who would you prefer between Powe and Pruitt is sort of like asking what would you prefer to get tomorrow, a thousand dollars or swine flu?  :P

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 07:26:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I do think Pruitt is fine third string point guard though. I'm comfortable with him returning to fill that role. It's not an either/or decision for me.

How many non-contributors do we keep on the roster, though?  Walker, Giddens, and yes, Pruitt, have shown little so far, to the point where we can't expect much out of them next season.  Tony Allen adds almost nothing.  Powe is out until February.

After this season, I just can't see Danny going into next season with five unproven and/or injured players.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 07:31:07 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If i have to pick right now, Powe.

Depending on what happens in the off season, I could see Powe walking and Pruitt staying. We may need every dollar to go after a quality 4/5.

If we satisfy our bigs need, and Marbury walks, then I'd like to keep Pruitt and roll with him and House as the backup 1/2 's.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:31:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

How many non-contributors do we keep on the roster, though?  Walker, Giddens, and yes, Pruitt, have shown little so far, to the point where we can't expect much out of them next season.  Tony Allen adds almost nothing.  Powe is out until February.

After this season, I just can't see Danny going into next season with five unproven and/or injured players.
I'm not convinced Pruitt is part of the non-contributors list. He's not, and shouldn't be, in the regular rotation but I think he's a solid third string point guard. I'm quite happy having him in that role.

If the team were to cut Pruitt, it would just be to sign another third string point guard, who also will not play.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 07:32:24 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'd rather keep Powe.

It's true, we lacked PG depth, but with a healthy KG, we kinda only need Rondo and or shooters from the PG spot like a Sam Cassell, Eddie House or Stephon Marbury.

A backup PG is not necessary for our team. Pierce, KG, and Ray all can make plays.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 07:38:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

If this is possible, I like the idea. Trade Pruitt for a more useful player and the team that gets pruitt can turn down the team option. Celtics get a better player and the other team sheds salary. Granted I use the term "better" loosely. You won't get anyone very good, but maybe a prospect with more upside. Pruitt doesn't seem like an NBA player.

I'm not sure that it's possible.  According to Larry Coon, the CBA prevents teams from trading players between the trade deadline and the draft if their  "contracts are ending or could end due to an option or ETO".

Under that language, it seems as though we can't trade Pruitt at the draft if we have an "option".  I'm not sure, though, if our trade rights would be restricted if Pruitt's deal is simply non-guaranteed.

(When the Pierce for CP3 + Nick Van Exel deal was proposed, NVE had a team option, which the Celtics would have immediately declined and made instant cap space.  However, I believe that deal was proposed under the former CBA.  It looks like the possibility of trades like that was closed, at least according to Larry Coon.)

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Third String Point Guards

Atlanta -- Acie Law + Speedy Claxton
Boston -- Gabe Pruitt
Charlotte -- Sean Singletary
Chicago -- Lindsey Hunter
Cleveland -- don't have or need one due to Delonte
Dallas -- don't have or need one due to Terry
Detroit -- don't have one
Denver -- Jason Hart
Golden State -- don't have one
Houston -- don't have one
Indiana -- Travis Diener
LA Clippers -- Alex Acker
LA Lakers -- Shannon Brown
Memphis -- Mike Wilks
Miami -- Luther Head
Minnesota -- Salim Stoudamire and Damon Jones
Milwaukee -- Bobby Brown or Kevin Ollie
New Jersey -- don't truly have one (CDR forced there, did well enough)
New Orleans -- Sort of, Devin Brown
New York -- don't have one, used Roberson there until traded.
Orlando -- Ty Lue
Oklahoma City -- Shaun Livingston and Chucky Atkins.
Philadelphia -- Royal Ivey
Phoenix Suns -- don't have one.
Portland -- Jerryd Bayless
Sacramento -- Nobody at the end of the season. Waived Will Solomon. Used to have Bobby Brown in the role.
San Antonio -- Jacque Vaughn
Toronto -- Marcus Banks
Utah -- Ronnie Price
Washington -- Mike James and Juan Dixon

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 07:42:28 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I'm not convinced Pruitt is part of the non-contributors list. He's not, and shouldn't be, in the regular rotation but I think he's a solid third string point guard. I'm quite happy having him in that role.

If the team were to cut Pruitt, it would just be to sign another third string point guard, who also will not play.

Maybe.  I don't think Pruitt has proven anything.  He shot 30.7% in 47 games, and only averaged 3.8 assists per 36 minutes.  I think the Celts can do better.

I'd prefer that the Celtics sign a real backup point guard, and continue to use Eddie as a combo guard, who in turn will be the de facto third string PG.  We don't need Pruitt; all he's doing is wasting a roster spot (and bringing the team negative publicity.)

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 07:42:47 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I have no interest whatsoever in retaining Pruitt. He's mediocre at best, and as Roy points out, this bench must be built with contributors - not the phalanx of non-contributors we have right now.

Let him walk or throw him into a deal.

And I vote neither. We need roster spots for people who can help the ballclub next year.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Third String Point Guards

Atlanta -- Acie Law + Speedy Claxton
Boston -- Gabe Pruitt
Charlotte -- Sean Singletary
Chicago -- Lindsey Hunter
Cleveland -- don't have or need one due to Delonte
Dallas -- don't have or need one due to Terry
Detroit -- don't have one
Denver -- Jason Hart
Golden State -- don't have one
Houston -- don't have one
Indiana -- Travis Diener
LA Clippers -- Alex Acker
LA Lakers -- Shannon Brown
Memphis -- Mike Wilks
Miami -- Luther Head
Minnesota -- Salim Stoudamire and Damon Jones
Milwaukee -- Bobby Brown or Kevin Ollie
New Jersey -- don't truly have one (CDR forced there, did well enough)
New Orleans -- Sort of, Devin Brown
New York -- don't have one, used Roberson there until traded.
Orlando -- Ty Lue
Oklahoma City -- Shaun Livingston and Chucky Atkins.
Philadelphia -- Royal Ivey
Phoenix Suns -- don't have one.
Portland -- Jerryd Bayless
Sacramento -- Nobody at the end of the season. Waived Will Solomon. Used to have Bobby Brown in the role.
San Antonio -- Jacque Vaughn
Toronto -- Marcus Banks
Utah -- Ronnie Price
Washington -- Mike James and Juan Dixon
Just let me spit out that list first -- how many point guards on that list are large improvements over Gabe Pruitt?

I only rate a handful as being better than Pruitt, and two of those don't belong as third stringers (Bayless + Price).

I'm happy with Gabe Pruitt in this role. I do not think he's a liability as a third string point guard. He's solid -- he plays very good defense and he can shoot the ball.