Author Topic: Pick a Player Over/Under Points Game  (Read 4575807 times)

Re: Pick a Player Over/Under Points Game
« Reply #5550 on: March 09, 2010, 09:04:14 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
MARCH 9, 2010:

MattG12 - Andray Blatche, Wizards: 11.5
Edgar - Kobe Bryant, Fakers: 27.7
Bahku - Sonny Weems, Raptors: 6.2
Gainesville Celtic - Kevin Martin, Rockets: 20.8
MGent - Ray Allen, Celtics: 16.4
ACF - Jrue Holiday, Sixers: 6.5
GreenFaith1819 - Brad Miller, Chicago Bulls: 8.1
Kwhit10 - Javale McGee, Wiz: 4.5
Greenbean - Rajon Rondoooooooo, Celtics: 14.1

Hey thanks everyone for the congrats!

This is alot of fun!

Anyone else think Rondo will absolutely destroy the Rookie tonight?

He'd better, Greenbean..whatever Rondo does tonight, whether it's offensively or defensively needs to keep Jennings off key. He's been quiet lately and I'd like to keep him that way.

« Reply #5551 on: March 09, 2010, 09:18:12 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
MARCH 9, 2010:

MattG12 - Andray Blatche, Washington Wizards: 11.5
Edgar-kobe/lakers..naughty feeling...81?: 27.7
Bahku - Sonny Weems, Toronto Raptors: 6.2

Just adding Kobe's average for the sake of whoever does the final, (me or Matt?). ;)

I doubt it will be me tonight. As soon as I get out of class at 3:30, I'm heading to Best Buy to get Precious, Up In The Air, and The Boondock Saints: All Saints Day. I intend on watching all 3 of them tonight. I'll make time to pick my player right at 12, but that's likely all I'll have time for.  :-\

« Reply #5552 on: March 09, 2010, 09:47:03 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Edgar-Andray Blatcje

lol i saw u beat me by a second i only want to say it..lol

I've been thinking about this for a while.  I have no problem with anyone making picks for guys with a clear advantage at the stroke of midnight - those are the rules.  I hate having a ton of rules for this thing, but I think this is a definite flaw in the system.  There simply are going to guys at different times of the year who are inherently "better" picks - and i'm not talking about guys who require a ton of scouting to figure out they're going to have a big night. 

The simplest solution is to not allow the same player to be picked by the same participant more than once a week, or ten-days, or whatever time period.  Policing this is a bit tough (I can barely remember who I picked yesterday), but maybe others pay more attention to it than I do.

Just looking for thoughts.  Are the Channing Frye/Andre Blatche type races a big deal?

Interesting point Redz... I probably haven't been playing long enough (only about a month) to really see the difference but just looking at the YTD post, 2 weeks ago Blatche won all 4 games of the games he played, then came in somewhere else in the pack later in the month. So it does seems to support the point that some guys are "better picks" at diff. times.

there has seemed to be  a handful (3-4) best bets since I started playing. I don't know if that's just a function of this time of year where guys are injured, traded, etc. and guys with lower averages get boatloads more playing time.

I think you're right too --- i sometimes forget who i pick THAT NIGHT so remembering all week might be tough. More than once I've picked a guy, then changed my mind as I was posting, but thought I'd posted Player A...doh!

I suppose another way to do it --- just thinking aloud here --- would be to build in some sort of minor penalty (say 2-3 points?) if you pick first. So if you pick Blatche first and he gets 26 points over a 12 point avg. you'd score based on 24 points not 26....

would that be enough of a disincentive for folks to look elsewhere if they pick first and allow others to get in on a "hot" player?

TP either way for a great, simple game!

BTW GC I wasn't editing your post, just saw that I'd typed the stroke of "minute" instead of "midnight" in the quoted section, so I fixed it up.  - Redz
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:52:43 AM by Redz »
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #5553 on: March 09, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
MARCH 9, 2010:

eja117 - Q Richardson, Heat, 8.6

« Reply #5554 on: March 09, 2010, 10:25:31 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis

MARCH 9, 2010:

truck lewis - john salmons, bucks: 13.8
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #5555 on: March 09, 2010, 10:29:11 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

MARCH 9, 2010:

NEEDS ONE MORE TO CASH DOUBLE!!!!!!

Come on rojos? IP?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #5556 on: March 09, 2010, 10:31:51 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup

MARCH 9, 2010:

NEEDS ONE MORE TO CASH DOUBLE!!!!!!

Come on rojos? IP?

hmmm, I grabbed Thad Young earlier.  Must have been lost in a copy and paste somewhere.

MARCH 9, 2010:

Redz - Thad Young, Sixer: 14
Yup

« Reply #5557 on: March 09, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Edgar-Andray Blatcje

I've been thinking about this for a while.  I have no problem with anyone making picks for guys with a clear advantage at the stroke of midnight - those are the rules.  I hate having a ton of rules for this thing, but I think this is a definite flaw in the system.  There simply are going to guys at different times of the year who are inherently "better" picks - and i'm not talking about guys who require a ton of scouting to figure out they're going to have a big night. 

The simplest solution is to not allow the same player to be picked by the same participant more than once a week, or ten-days, or whatever time period.  Policing this is a bit tough (I can barely remember who I picked yesterday), but maybe others pay more attention to it than I do.

Just looking for thoughts.  Are the Channing Frye/Andre Blatche type races a big deal?

Interesting point Redz... I probably haven't been playing long enough (only about a month) to really see the difference but just looking at the YTD post, 2 weeks ago Blatche won all 4 games of the games he played, then came in somewhere else in the pack later in the month. So it does seems to support the point that some guys are "better picks" at diff. times.

there has seemed to be  a handful (3-4) best bets since I started playing. I don't know if that's just a function of this time of year where guys are injured, traded, etc. and guys with lower averages get boatloads more playing time.

I think you're right too --- i sometimes forget who i pick THAT NIGHT so remembering all week might be tough. More than once I've picked a guy, then changed my mind as I was posting, but thought I'd posted Player A...doh!

I suppose another way to do it --- just thinking aloud here --- would be to build in some sort of minor penalty (say 2-3 points?) if you pick first. So if you pick Blatche first and he gets 26 points over a 12 point avg. you'd score based on 24 points not 26....

would that be enough of a disincentive for folks to look elsewhere if they pick first and allow others to get in on a "hot" player?

BTW GC I wasn't editing your post, just saw that I'd typed the stroke of "minute" instead of "midnight" in the quoted section, so I fixed it up.  - Redz

I'm definitely not for changing the rules of the game mid-season. Sometimes, you're able to stay up and pick right at 12 on the clock. Sometimes, you're not able to. I don't like the idea of punishing people for picking first. Somebody has to do it. Excessive rules make the game harder to play, we already have too few players every day. I think making rules that punish people for picking first, or making rules that cause you to remember every player you've picked in a week will make the game less fun and decrease our already small amount of players. Just my opinion.

If something must be done at the end of the season for next season and we all agree on it, then I would be all for a change. Definitely not in the middle of the season though.

« Reply #5558 on: March 09, 2010, 10:47:52 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
There is definitely an advantage to people who stay up later to pick first at the stroke of midnight.  Being as I rarely stay up past 10:30EST during the week, I rarely get the benefit of picking first. 

However, it has now become a race to see who can pick certain players that play for the Wizards/Hornets/Warriors trio.

I don't know how it would be easily policed though.

« Reply #5559 on: March 09, 2010, 10:52:54 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Edgar-Andray Blatcje

I'm definitely not for changing the rules of the game mid-season. Sometimes, you're able to stay up and pick right at 12 on the clock. Sometimes, you're not able to. I don't like the idea of punishing people for picking first. Somebody has to do it. Excessive rules make the game harder to play, we already have too few players every day. I think making rules that punish people for picking first, or making rules that cause you to remember every player you've picked in a week will make the game less fun and decrease our already small amount of players. Just my opinion.

If something must be done at the end of the season for next season and we all agree on it, then I would be all for a change. Definitely not in the middle of the season though.

I guess it's not so much a problem with having people pick first, as much as getting the same guys over and over (which is largely a product of picking first, but that's his/her prerogative).

And I agree about not switching the rules on the fly, just looking for ideas.  The beginning of the season showed much the same issue.

I do want to keep this simple, I don't want it to become hyper-competitive - it's a fun little thing to do.  Just looking to see if there were some easy fixes on this.
Yup

« Reply #5560 on: March 09, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Edgar-Andray Blatcje

I guess it's not so much a problem with having people pick first, as much as getting the same guys over and over (which is largely a product of picking first, but that's his/her prerogative).

And I agree about not switching the rules on the fly, just looking for ideas.  The beginning of the season showed much the same issue.

I do want to keep this simple, I don't want it to become hyper-competitive - it's a fun little thing to do.  Just looking to see if there were some easy fixes on this.

Like i said i was trying to think aloud/out-of-the-box.

i assumed any change would be next season... but it does seem that the first pick always gets the "hot pick" adding a slight disincentive might be a way to balance it out --- 1st pick guy/gal might take Blatche on a favorable matchup, leave him for someone else to go first with a less favorable one..

the real question would be does picking first have any *real* correlation to winning...i only looked at 5-7 days of games.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #5561 on: March 09, 2010, 04:21:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Edgar-Andray Blatcje

Like i said i was trying to think aloud/out-of-the-box.

i assumed any change would be next season... but it does seem that the first pick always gets the "hot pick" adding a slight disincentive might be a way to balance it out --- 1st pick guy/gal might take Blatche on a favorable matchup, leave him for someone else to go first with a less favorable one..

the real question would be does picking first have any *real* correlation to winning...i only looked at 5-7 days of games.

Where's Bill James when we need him?

MoneyBall PAPOUG  :D
Yup

« Reply #5562 on: March 09, 2010, 04:28:29 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
There is definitely an advantage to people who stay up later to pick first at the stroke of midnight.  Being as I rarely stay up past 10:30EST during the week, I rarely get the benefit of picking first. 

However, it has now become a race to see who can pick certain players that play for the Wizards/Hornets/Warriors trio.

during the baseball PAPTBG we police ourselves by only using a player once a week...

of course people may lose track and forget, but it would prevent a player from using the same hot pick over and over again
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #5563 on: March 09, 2010, 04:38:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

during the baseball PAPTBG we police ourselves by only using a player once a week...

of course people may lose track and forget, but it would prevent a player from using the same hot pick over and over again

I think it's even more necessary for the baseball one, because guys play 6 or 7 days a week, and we have fewer participants.  But yeh, same idea.  I guess it's more a case of the picker trying to be aware of not picking the same guy every night than any real hard law.  I know I'd sometimes go well over a week because I wasn't sure if it had been a week, and i was too lazy to check.

Then again there are a ton more choice in the MLB, and we weren't working against an average.
Yup

« Reply #5564 on: March 09, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
MARCH 9, 2010: