Author Topic: Ohio State finally shows up  (Read 5634 times)

Ohio State finally shows up
« on: November 24, 2018, 03:08:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Ohio State is absolutely throttling Michigan.  They even basically gave UM a TD (muffing a kick off) and The Game isn't close at all.  The real question is, will it be enough to get them up to #4 in the playoff rankings ahead of OU and Georgia.  And what the heck is the committee going to do if Bama, Clemson, ND, OSU and OU all win out (or what if Georgia beats Bama, the chaos would be epic).  Which team is left on the outside looking in?  Is ND penalized for not playing in conference despite being unbeaten?  Would it leave out the Big Ten Champion in favor of the Big 12 Champion or vice versa?  And then you still have the UCF being unbeaten argument (though until they actually man up and play a legit non-con schedule, I don't put much stock in their claims).  Could be a crazy close to the season if the favorites all take care of business.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Ohio State finally shows up
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 04:19:00 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
It's a mess.  I'm hopeful this game helps UGA, but with Bama next week it probably won't matter.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 04:30:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Still much to happen with the conference championship games. If Alabama loses to Georgia does the committee still try to keep Alabama in the playoffs? OSU and Clemson should be heavily favored but they are still facing tough Northwestern and Pittsburgh clubs, respectively. Oklahoma has already lost to Texas, can Texas beat them again?

Pretty much Notre Dame is in, IMHO.

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 05:55:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
OSU lost and almost lost to unranked teams, they will be lucky to get in the playoffs yet alone win it.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 06:42:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
OSU lost and almost lost to unranked teams, they will be lucky to get in the playoffs yet alone win it.
Sure but if it is between OSU or OU there isn't much difference.  I mean OU has beaten exactly 2 currently ranked teams, 13th ranked WVU and 25th ranked ISU and lost to 14th ranked UT (who as a reminder lost to Maryland).  OSU lost to unranked Purdue, but has victories over currently ranked 4th ranked UM and 12th ranked PSU.  OU will play Texas again and OSU plays 19th ranked Northwestern.  And frankly I have no idea why Iowa State is even ranked.  They are 6-4 and lost to Iowa who also only has 4 losses (and had the extra win entering last week).  Just seems like a strange team to have ranked at all.  So if OU beats Texas it will probably drop to around 20 which is probably where WVU will end up.  I think ISU will drop out, giving OU 2 victories of teams in the back half of the top 25, one of which it lost to.  UM and PSU will both probably end up in the 8-12 range, and Northwestern probably drops to the end of the rankings (if not out).  So does the committee want the team with the better victories that has an equal offense and a slightly better defense that played in the more difficult conference or does it favor the team that has the much better loss.  You can't really look to the past for the consistency either because sometimes they seem to favor the better wins and sometimes they seem to favor the better losses.  OSU at least scheduled 2 power 5 non-con opponents in TCU and Oregon State even if they were both subpar.  OU only scheduled 1 in UCLA who was also subpar.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 07:35:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Barring more upsets we are probably look at Oklahoma, Alabama, Notre Dame and Clemson

Edit: I do think it matters that Ohio state got blown out by Purdue, absolutely squeaked by Maryland and Got outplayed by penn state the majority of the game. Great win by them today, but doesn't really make up for an inconsistent season on the whole. All the other teams have been rolling for a while

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Disclaimer:  Daughter goes to Clemson so I am pulling for Clemson

I think Notre Dame is overrated.

Alabama, Is heads and shoulders the best Team ....and is not close.

...and lastly, i think the only team with enough offense to make it interesting against Alabama is Georgia.  Too bad only one can go to playoffs.

As for Clemson;  the ACC has been bad; and so it’s is hard to tell just how good Clemson really is.
I am shocked they are ranked so high.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I actually think Ohio State has a better chance to get in than it may look, BUT I don't think it ultimately happens.

Ohio State got blown out by Purdue and had two very close wins against Nebraska and Maryland. I think Notre Dame is a lock so long as they take care of business vs. USC tonight. Clemson is very likely to get in unless Pittsburgh beats them, but I doubt that.

The main problem I see is that, even if Alabama loses to Georgia, there's a chance they still keep Alabama in the playoffs as a 4 seed possibly, and so both OU and OSU get screwed in that case. If Alabama wins, then it's one spot left likely between OU and OSU, and I think they give it to OU especially if they beat Texas next weekend.

Basically, Ohio State has to take care of business next week against Northwestern, and then hope Alabama wins AND one of Clemson/Oklahoma lose in their conference title games next week (or USC upsets Notre Dame tonight).

And btw, I think Notre Dame is overrated and Clemson, while proven in the past, have had some really close games against currently ranked teams that could have gone either way (Syracuse and Texas A&M, both ranked 20 and 22 respectively, and Clemson won both games by less than 5 points). They did have an impressive win against #17 ranked BC a few weeks ago, but BC is now 7-5... so BC may have been overrated anyways.

Oklahoma's offense is electric/dominant but their defense is pure garbage. But you can't count them out IMO either.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 08:22:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Are we holding close wins against teams now, because OU beat Army by 7, Texas Tech by 5, Okie St. by 1, and of course got thoroughly outplayed by WVU before pulling it out by 3 based off of some very questionable penalties against WVU.  And again Maryland actually beat Texas.  And if not for some late scores, that Texas score would look a lot different as that game was 45-24 heading to the 4th quarter when Texas decided to just try and kill the clock and run the ball virtually every play.  Then when they actually needed to score, drove down the field at will again. 

I actually expect Texas to win the Big 12 Title making this a moot point, but if not I really don't get the love affair of Oklahoma.  They have an awful defense and while their offense is great, OSU's is actually on par (they are 1 and 2 in the country) and the Big 12 isn't exactly known as a defensive mecca unlike the Big Ten.

Now obviously I'm an Ohio State fan so that is my rooting interest, but I do think the team that has the best wins, that plays in the better conference, etc. should be the team that makes the playoffs.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 08:28:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Are we holding close wins against teams now, because OU beat Army by 7, Texas Tech by 5, Okie St. by 1, and of course got thoroughly outplayed by WVU before pulling it out by 3 based off of some very questionable penalties against WVU.  And again Maryland actually beat Texas.  And if not for some late scores, that Texas score would look a lot different as that game was 45-24 heading to the 4th quarter when Texas decided to just try and kill the clock and run the ball virtually every play.  Then when they actually needed to score, drove down the field at will again. 

I actually expect Texas to win the Big 12 Title making this a moot point, but if not I really don't get the love affair of Oklahoma.  They have an awful defense and while their offense is great, OSU's is actually on par (they are 1 and 2 in the country) and the Big 12 isn't exactly known as a defensive mecca unlike the Big Ten.

Now obviously I'm an Ohio State fan so that is my rooting interest, but I do think the team that has the best wins, that plays in the better conference, etc. should be the team that makes the playoffs.

I just think if Oklahoma beats Texas this time around (ranked 14th and the only team that beat them this season), it gives them an edge over Ohio State based on where they are currently ranked and because Texas is a tougher opponent right now than Northwestern if we're being honest.

Ohio State can definitely get in, and frankly I'd take them over OU. I just don't think the committee puts OSU in unless things unfold in the way I said in the bold on the post above^

Obviously if TEX beats OU then Ohio State is in for sure. OSU had a great win over #4 Michigan earlier today, but OU also had a great road win over #13 WVU recently.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 08:57:57 PM by Phantom255x »

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
I mean, who knows, Ohio State might get their ticket punched tonight.

USC up 10-0 on Notre Dame and driving again right now.

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 08:02:49 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Ohio state moved up to #6, Georgia up to #4.  :)    Michigan fell to 7.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 04:43:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Georgia strikes first.  7-0 with 3' left in first.  Let's goooo

Edit: Georgia's best defender went down, so nevermind.   >:(
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 04:49:42 PM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 04:48:02 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Thanks Oklahoma for knocking the overrated Ohio State Yuckeyes out of the playoffs!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 04:56:36 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
Thanks Oklahoma for knocking the overrated Ohio State Yuckeyes out of the playoffs!!

Good win for OK.  This is still going to be messy.  Bama will probably win this game but I cant see punishing Georgia for being in the SEC... they look like the 2nd best team again.