Author Topic: If you was David Griffin 🤔  (Read 3546 times)

If you was David Griffin 🤔
« on: May 15, 2019, 10:51:14 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

I know we are die hard Celtics fans but let’s play a game and imagine you are the Pels GM what do you do? Are you trading AD or keeping him? Are you keeping Jrue or trading for assets? If you’re getting assets for Jrue or Davis what assets are you getting? Show me your roster and let me know your thought process for building your team the way you did. What teams would you avoid and why?

Re: If you was David Griffin 🤔
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:57:28 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I know we are die hard Celtics fans but let’s play a game and imagine you are the Pels GM what do you do? Are you trading AD or keeping him? Are you keeping Jrue or trading for assets? If you’re getting assets for Jrue or Davis what assets are you getting? Show me your roster and let me know your thought process for building your team the way you did. What teams would you avoid and why?

First thing is I start buying lotto tickets all the time.

Second thing is I trade AD and go full youth. Being gifted the number 1 pick will make people completely forget abouot Davis now.

third thing I do is call my old buddy about one of my favorite young players in the league about said deal

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I'm thinking long-term and trading AD and every veteran player I don't think is a good mentor/locker room guy. For AD, I only want unprotected picks and players in return that have 1-2 years of NBA experience.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 11:06:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I would trade Davis and I'd try to attach Moore and Hill to him.  I'd be open to trade Holiday but would be fine if I kept him around for mentorship.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:12:53 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I would trade Davis and I'd try to attach Moore and Hill to him.  I'd be open to trade Holiday but would be fine if I kept him around for mentorship.

Question. If we decide to make a trade for AD AND Moore, then what do we have to send out in salary?

I know for just AD it's 21.6M (or 24M if he doesn't waive trade kicker). What about AD + Moore?

(Anyone can answer this if they believe they know)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 11:15:46 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Draft Zion

Do everything in my power to try to pry away Brown and Tatum for AD

Trade Jrue Holiday for a package around Gilgeous-Alexander

Gilgeous-Alexander
Brown
Tatum
Zion
Randle.

Probably a good enough young core to put you in to contention in 3-5 years.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If I'm Griffin then I'm watching New York really closely. If they get Durant and Irving in free agency I presume they go all in for a big 3 and offer Knox, Smith Jr and the #3 pick.

Only question is whether the numbers work out, i haven't gone through that yet.

Knox, Smith Jr, #3 pick and then say Ntilikina or Lance Thomas (once guaranteed) as salary ballast, would that leave them enough cap space to have signed Kyrie and Durant?

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 11:24:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If I'm Griffin then I'm watching New York really closely. If they get Durant and Irving in free agency I presume they go all in for a big 3 and offer Knox, Smith Jr and the #3 pick.

Only question is whether the numbers work out, i haven't gone through that yet.

Knox, Smith Jr, #3 pick and then say Ntilikina or Lance Thomas (once guaranteed) as salary ballast, would that leave them enough cap space to have signed Kyrie and Durant?

Reports I read said they can't trade for Davis and have room to sign both Durant and Irving as free agents.

Re: If you was David Griffin
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Draft Zion

Gilgeous-Alexander
Brown
Tatum
Zion
Randle.

You read my mind exactly.  Yes, absolutely I hold out and try to pair Tatum and Brown + Sacto + LAC picks with Zion, so I've got my generational big man and two big time wing prospects in a wing's league.  And they're all 19-22 years old & locked up for 5-8 years guaranteed if I'm willing to pay them.

I would not risk having my 2 best players both be big men, let alone losing one of them for nothing when I could potentially end up with Tatum and Brown instead. 

And I personally really like SGA so if the Clips get Kawhi and/or Durant and would take Jrue for SGA, I do that in a heartbeat.  Then use Sacto pick on a big or BPA.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 11:40:20 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I would hold onto AD this summer unless some other team absolutely blows me away.

I'd want to at least leave open the possibility that Zion is a truly transcendent talent and that AD decides to stick around for at least a little while to see if they can contend with that group.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I would hold onto AD this summer unless some other team absolutely blows me away.

I'd want to at least leave open the possibility that Zion is a truly transcendent talent and that AD decides to stick around for at least a little while to see if they can contend with that group.

Why would you that when you only have a Yr left of AD.. The longer you wait, the lesser the value because the season is progressing.. What kind of contention is that when your next best player is a rookie.. It does not make sense to hold on to AD when you can trade him for Tatum/ Brown or to any other team whom you can get a very young all star potential player which will likely be in line with Zion's age.

Trading AD is still the best way for the Pelicans.. The price even got better actually.

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 12:01:12 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I would embrace the idea of being a Milker and get ready to fleece the team that gives into the insanity of what he will ask for Davis. Milk, Milk, Milk.....

The other idea is to convince Davis somehow that he and Zion can form a deadly duo with a championship coming soon after.

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 03:57:07 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Draft Zion

Gilgeous-Alexander
Brown
Tatum
Zion
Randle.

\

That team could run, but is awful small.  We'd run AH AD at them and they are too small to guard either of them let alone both.  JB, JT, ZW is not a good paring IMHO.  If I'm NO, I go youth, and focus on picks and expirings, even over players.  I'd want MS JB and maybe 4 picks, and trade holiday, moore, and the kitchen sink for a couple of young bigs and picks.  MS is your vet and PG.  ZW is your SF.  JB at the 2. 

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 04:23:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Why would you that when you only have a Yr left of AD.. The longer you wait, the lesser the value because the season is progressing.. What kind of contention is that when your next best player is a rookie.. It does not make sense to hold on to AD when you can trade him for Tatum/ Brown or to any other team whom you can get a very young all star potential player which will likely be in line with Zion's age.

Trading AD is still the best way for the Pelicans.. The price even got better actually.

New Orleans is one of the weakest markets in the league.

You already have a franchise superstar, albeit only under contract for one year.

You've got a supporting All-Star caliber guard under contract.

Now you just won the lottery and will have the ability to draft a guy that many regard as one of the best draft prospects of the last 10-15 years.

Wouldn't you want to at least try to see how those guys could look together?

What we need to remember is that the Pelicans are going to want to remain as relevant and competitive as possible.  They don't want to sell off all their veterans and go super young just because they're gonna have Zion.  I am sure they're hoping that Zion can be the rare rookie who comes in and immediately makes a positive impact on winning.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 04:26:05 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

New Orleans is one of the weakest markets in the league.

You already have a franchise superstar, albeit only under contract for one year.

You've got a supporting All-Star caliber guard under contract.

Now you just won the lottery and will have the ability to draft a guy that many regard as one of the best draft prospects of the last 10-15 years.

Wouldn't you want to at least try to see how those guys could look together?

What we need to remember is that the Pelicans are going to want to remain as relevant and competitive as possible.  They don't want to sell off all their veterans and go super young just because they're gonna have Zion.  I am sure they're hoping that Zion can be the rare rookie who comes in and immediately makes a positive impact on winning.

What if Davis got hurt?