Poll

Will the Celtics make a mid season trade?

Yes, we have too many guards and KG needs help from an All Star inside to be legitimate contenders
20 (38.5%)
No, we are going for the small ball approach and working out which units work best
0 (0%)
Maybe, we are probably too deep at the shooting guard position which doesn't make sense
5 (9.6%)
There won't be a trade until next season to see how this team fares for a full year
2 (3.8%)
Danny will see how things are looking in 2 months time and will then start thinking about it
25 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: I believe we will make a mid season trade. What do you think?  (Read 11838 times)

Re: I believe we will make a mid season trade. What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
No one ever mentions Amir Johnson here.  Young athletic guy who can rebound, play inside, and run the floor with Rondo.

Would be much less costly too get than Josh Smith too.

We need an All Star. Amir is good, but so is Avery Bradley.
These guys don't take you to the promised land. (in my opinion).

Trade our mid level chips for one big swinger.
Has to be the plan with so many chips.

If we are really planning to swing for the fences, I am not convinced that Josh Smith (and I do really like his game) is that swing for the fences guy.

I see a lot of rumbling and grumbling among the faithful in the near future if Josh Smith is the basket that Danny puts all the eggs in. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 10:16:21 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!

he is playing great ball
most important he runs faster and more lift on his jumpshot
there is a springs in his step he didnt have last season

*keep him outta trade talks*

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 10:18:54 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
No one ever mentions Amir Johnson here.  Young athletic guy who can rebound, play inside, and run the floor with Rondo.

If we are really planning to swing for the fences, I am not convinced that Josh Smith (and I do really like his game) is that swing for the fences guy.

I see a lot of rumbling and grumbling among the faithful in the near future if Josh Smith is the basket that Danny puts all the eggs in.

That's why I don't think it takes all the eggs.

We don't give up the farm.  We aim for our desired final lineup and keep everything else on the table, yes, but we don't give away the farm unless it makes it our year or it comes with a likely extension that works.

Bass or Sully (likely Bass for salary, and they don't push too hard for Sully because they want Horford at PF and working inside.  Bass is a great backup.

We'll have to give up another midlevel contract, Lee or JET.  I say we push JET due to lack of D, quite frankly.  They take Melo the prospect and possibly Joseph for their rebuild roster.  That puts the money right I think, but would work with Lee or Bradley just as well, or 2 of the 3, or one plus Barbosa....

SO I'd say what we have to offer includes Bass, Melo and Joseph, and one guard from the stable.  That's not all the eggs because we'd still have Sully to step in to start next year and Green backing up both forward spots, a returning 3 guard rotation, and KG starting at the 5.

We could up it by adding a pick(s) and cash if he signs an extension. 

The upped offer amounts to a third of the roster, a future 1st rounder, and money.  Danny might be able to net an allstar PF (or C if KG moves back) with that package.

Who would he want besides Smith?  I can't think of a better fit any more after seeing what we've got already with Green, Bradley, and Sully. 

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 10:22:27 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

he is playing great ball

Amen the Captain should be off the table period
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 10:25:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
We could make a trade, but Im not sure about our 'chips'.

Rondo, Pierce, and KG are likely all off the table.

As are Jeff Green and possibly Avery Bradley, until either one starts to look special again.

After that..unproven young guns. Don't see how a 'homerun' trade would work.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460

As are Jeff Green and possibly Avery Bradley, until either one starts to look special again.

Why is Green off the table? If we could trade him (a borderline-starter) and some chips for a bona-fide all-star, why wouldn't we?

EDIT: Borderline starter, not all-star. Got my words mixed up.

But yes I agree Bradley should be off the table. Kid is special as long as he's the same after his return (knock on wood).
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 10:39:12 PM by AB_Celtic »

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 10:40:05 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

he is playing great ball

Amen the Captain should be off the table period
Pierce starts every non-lockout season looking renewed and full of energy. Then the end of the season comes and we forget how great he looked at the beginning as he drags his body around. Then the next pre-season comes and we marvel again at how good he looks.

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
next bad thing to losing KG , would be Pierce.  Might as well lock up the shop and go home.

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Why is Green off the table? If we could trade him (a borderline-starter) and some chips for a bona-fide all-star, why wouldn't we?

EDIT: Borderline starter, not all-star. Got my words mixed up.

But yes I agree Bradley should be off the table. Kid is special as long as he's the same after his return (knock on wood).

I meant Green and Bradley because right now their prices are at an all-time low. They need to build up value before they can be traded for real value coming back. Unless we get a dumb GM.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 10:45:24 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

We don't give up the farm.  We aim for our desired final lineup and keep everything else on the table, yes, but we don't give away the farm unless it makes it our year or it comes with a likely extension that works.

Bass or Sully (likely Bass for salary, and they don't push too hard for Sully because they want Horford at PF and working inside.  Bass is a great backup.

We'll have to give up another midlevel contract, Lee or JET.  I say we push JET due to lack of D, quite frankly.  They take Melo the prospect and possibly Joseph for their rebuild roster.  That puts the money right I think, but would work with Lee or Bradley just as well, or 2 of the 3, or one plus Barbosa....

SO I'd say what we have to offer includes Bass, Melo and Joseph, and one guard from the stable.  That's not all the eggs because we'd still have Sully to step in to start next year and Green backing up both forward spots, a returning 3 guard rotation, and KG starting at the 5.

The upped offer amounts to a third of the roster, a future 1st rounder, and money.  Danny might be able to net an allstar PF (or C if KG moves back) with that package.

Who would he want besides Smith?  I can't think of a better fit any more after seeing what we've got already with Green, Bradley, and Sully.

The eggs I was referring to wasn't so much who we would be giving up to get him, but what we would have to pay him to keep him. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 10:54:30 PM »

Offline Big Rondo

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 37
Rondo / Terry / Pierce / Smith / KG is a championship caliber team.

Barbosa / Lee / Joseph / Wilcox / Darko is more than enough help off the bench.

Danny, get it done.
Offense sells tickets, Defense wins games, Rebounds win championships.

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

The eggs I was referring to wasn't so much who we would be giving up to get him, but what we would have to pay him to keep him.

I'd say that the question is the same:  Is one Smith worth a JET, a Bass, Melo, Joseph, and another rookie 1st?  They're about even cash too, I think.

But then the roster shakes out with Rondo and Smith being max or near-max guys, followed by what looks like Green and Bradley as eventual complementary starters in the $5-9M range, plus KG for now, and an MLE C in the future.

If you like that lineup in the future, it's good, right?

Rondo/Bradley/Green/Smith/MLE Center

Right now, it works with Pierce and KG starting and Green as a 6th man.  In the future, it has to work with Smith, Green, Rondo, Bradley (or Lee, I guess), and and MLE Center, which is pretty much the only way we'll get one once the contracts are all signed.

I think if Green can shoot from 3 and can find some type of go-to move in the half-court, it works because the defense will be dominant and Rondo can penetrate quite well.  I think Smith, Green, and Rondo could total 60 ppg on average, and would combine for 20 boards, too.

As long as we keep enough pieces to contend this year, I think Danny tries to make a big move at the deadline.

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2012, 11:04:29 PM »

Offline biggbird

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Agreed with those suggesting that we try to trade for Horford if anyone from the Hawks' roster. Seems a whole lot less likely than Smith, given his history of trade rumours/demands etc, and also the fact that he's a better player... But he would be nice to have here.

Good on the low block, has a nice midrange game, great on the boards, reasonable defender. Would slot in very nicely next to KG. However I thought he was making more than Smith... Will have to go and check the salaries. Though with Smith's trade kicker, may not be as big a gap.

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2012, 11:22:18 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Rondo / Terry / Pierce / Smith / KG is a championship caliber team.

Barbosa / Lee / Joseph / Wilcox / Darko is more than enough help off the bench.

Danny, get it done.

I like Rondo / Terry / Pierce / KG / Horford better

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2012, 11:25:47 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley

I'd say that the question is the same:  Is one Smith worth a JET, a Bass, Melo, Joseph, and another rookie 1st?  They're about even cash too, I think.

But then the roster shakes out with Rondo and Smith being max or near-max guys, followed by what looks like Green and Bradley as eventual complementary starters in the $5-9M range, plus KG for now, and an MLE C in the future.

If you like that lineup in the future, it's good, right?

Rondo/Bradley/Green/Smith/MLE Center

Right now, it works with Pierce and KG starting and Green as a 6th man.  In the future, it has to work with Smith, Green, Rondo, Bradley (or Lee, I guess), and and MLE Center, which is pretty much the only way we'll get one once the contracts are all signed.

I think if Green can shoot from 3 and can find some type of go-to move in the half-court, it works because the defense will be dominant and Rondo can penetrate quite well.  I think Smith, Green, and Rondo could total 60 ppg on average, and would combine for 20 boards, too.

As long as we keep enough pieces to contend this year, I think Danny tries to make a big move at the deadline.

To your first part, I don't think necessarily think one Smoove is worth a JET, a Bass, a Melo, a Joseph, and a draft pick.  Sure, they are probably roughly equal in an on-the-court sense, but they are not in a flexibility sense.  I feel that one of the things this roster has going for it is it's flexibility for the future.  I guess this means that at some point a relatively big move is going to need to be made.  I'm just not sold on swinging at the first pitch.

I don't hate that lineup that you've proposed for the future, but I'm not sure I'm entirely in love with it, either. 

"Stuck with Josh Smith" is a refrain that keeps running through my mind as a potential downside to this whole thing. 

Sometimes you got to take risks, though.  We'll see what happens.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers: