Poll

Do you think Kahwi Leonard comes to Boston?

Yes
14 (15.9%)
No
74 (84.1%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Voting closed: June 29, 2018, 11:30:27 PM

Author Topic: Kawhi Leonard (Merged Threads)  (Read 119338 times)

Re: Here we go..Leonard wants out of SA...
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
The whole saga is a reminder of why I, an NBA fan since the mid-80s, find this league hard to enjoy these days.

You can do everything right as a franchise and still come up short. The Lakers have been one of the worst-run teams in the league for years, they've been awful at managing the cap, have a huge amount of dead money on their cap. So what? Three of the right guys decide they like the idea of living in Southern California, and voila! All that is forgotten. Doesn't matter.

I thought the league was kind of moving past this, but I guess not. Remember when Lamarcus Aldridge had a free agent meeting with the Lakers and they pitched him on marketing and endorsements and stuff, and hardly anything about basketball? He chose the Spurs instead, the best-run organization in the NBA. Basically the most glamorous places -- LA and NY -- have struck out in free agency in recent years, and most people interpreted it as "guys are prioritizing winning and well-run franchises". Well, maybe we got ahead of ourselves.

What we've got here is a cycle where the teams show no loyalty to the players, and the players show no loyalty to the teams. If you were Kyrie Irving and you'd just seen Isaiah Thomas summarily dumped by the team he carried to the ECF on the weight of a bum hip, wouldn't you be a little cautious?

The way out of this mess is to shift your priorities to draft picks and guys on rookie deals. The only way you can guarantee that an elite player will stay with your club in the long-run is to sign him as a rookie and max him out when he becomes a restricted free agency 5 years later. Something to think about before we trade away Jaylen or, God forbid, Tatum.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
The most logical thing I can come up with is, is the house cleaning deal:

Brown       $5,169,960
Morris       $5,375,000
Yabusele   $2,667,600
Nader       $1,378,242
Ojeyele     $1,378,242
#27 pick   $1,186,300 x 120% =
SAC/19
--
x 125% + 100k
= $21,840,755

Kawhi       $20,099,188
#18 pick   $1,469,800
--
= $21,568,988

So then we roll with the "Big 5" of Irving, Hayward, Tatum, Kawhi and Horford.

The future salary cap if we max out both Kawhi and Irving would be crazy, but it's possible that Horford would opt-out and do something somewhat team friendly over 3-4 years and get us to something like this is 2019-2020

Hayward, Irving, Kawhi: $100M
Horford, Tatum: $30M
luxury tax line: ~$130M

So basically we'd be paying our Big 5 alone the luxury tax line for a couple of years, then we'd have to think about letting Hayward walk to sign Tatum. Something like that.

« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2018, 04:10:36 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
If Danny gives up anything significant for him, he has to be ultra confident in resigning him. You can't give up Jaylen Brown for a one year rental of anyone. Risk seems too great, IMO.

Anything that shows up about the Celtics in the rumor mill is either false, or is there because Danny wants it to be there. Even if DA doesn't want Leonard (or, more likely, doesn't want that kind of risk), his being in the mix drives up the price for somebody else.

Mike

« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If Danny gives up anything significant for him, he has to be ultra confident in resigning him. You can't give up Jaylen Brown for a one year rental of anyone. Risk seems too great, IMO.

Don't think you can give up Brown, picks unless you know for sure Leonard resigns in Boston...too much risk

This is basically how I feel.  If he won't commit to resigning with Boston, then walk away.  We have no idea how good Jaylen will become, but we know he is already really good.  Why trade away a great young player on a rookie deal when there are some issues with that guys health/ attitude / or whatever.

I mean, how did he get to the point where he hates the Spurs so much he wants go get traded?  That organization is one of the best run in sports.  It makes me really question going after him.

« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think many people have independently looked at the Sixers roster and came up with the same no-brainer trade:   Covington + Fultz + #10 for Kawhi.   Gonna be tough to beat that.

Jaylen Brown and a Chipotle coupon would be a far better deal for Spurs.
OOo... do you think we could get Fultz for Jaylen?  That's intriguing.

Kyrie for Kawhi.  Brown for Fultz.  Send it in.

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think many people have independently looked at the Sixers roster and came up with the same no-brainer trade:   Covington + Fultz + #10 for Kawhi.   Gonna be tough to beat that.

Dude, I mean come on... I like Fultz, but you're really pushing the, "I'm a 76ers fanboy," narrative all around again lol.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2018, 04:14:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Brown       $5,169,960
Morris       $5,375,000
Yabusele   $2,667,600
Nader       $1,378,242
Ojeyele     $1,378,242
SAC/19
--
x 125% + 100k
= $21,840,755

Kawhi       $20,099,188
#18 pick   $1,469,800
--
= $21,568,988

Flushing out a lot of the roster clutter (Yabusele, Nader, Semi) and I immediately think of how we upgrade by replacing them veteran guys looking to win a title (like the summer of 2007).

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2018, 04:16:50 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

How many minutes did "elite prospect" Futz play in the 1st round? How about against us?

It's hard to get a real rise out of Celtics fans when you don't have much substance.

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2018, 04:18:40 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC

How many minutes did "elite prospect" Futz play in the 1st round? How about against us?

It's hard to get a real rise out of Celtics fans when you don't have much substance.

He has over 20,000 posts and probably 10 of them are worth a crap. He is a resident troll.

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2018, 04:22:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Brown       $5,169,960
Morris       $5,375,000
Yabusele   $2,667,600
Nader       $1,378,242
Ojeyele     $1,378,242
SAC/19
--
x 125% + 100k
= $21,840,755

Kawhi       $20,099,188
#18 pick   $1,469,800
--
= $21,568,988

The future salary cap if we max out both Kawhi and Irving would be crazy, but it's possible that Horford would opt-out and do something somewhat team friendly over 3-4 years and get us to something like this is 2019-2020

Hayward, Irving, Kawhi: $100M
Horford, Tatum: $30M
luxury tax line: ~$130M

So basically we'd be paying our Big 5 alone the luxury tax line for a couple of years, then we'd have to think about letting Hayward walk to sign Tatum. Something like that.

We can do the trade today for Brown, Morris, Rozier, and Yabusele.  Salaries match, no need to get weird with waiting until August to trade a draft pick so that his salary matches.  You can sub out Rozier for both Semi and Nader if it pleases you.  In the first situation, I would not add any picks.  The players should be sufficient enough and allow San Antonio to be a top 4 team in the West next year.

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2018, 04:23:38 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Dude, I mean come on... I like Fultz, but you're really pushing the, "I'm a 76ers fanboy," narrative all around again lol.

I think he is being sarcastic, or I'm missing something.
#JKJB

« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2018, 04:23:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

19 year old Fult per-36:  14.2 points, 7.5 assists, 6.1 rebounds, 1.7 steals
19 year old Brown per-36:  0 points, 0 assists, 0 rebounds, 0 steals

Brown didn't enter the league until he was 20 and put up averages of 6.6 points, 2.8 rebounds, 0.8 assists, 0.4 steals... and he averaged 12 minutes in the playoffs with multiple DNPs.

How confident are you that Fultz next year (when he's the same age as Brown's rookie season) will be just as forgettable? 

How about in two seasons when Fultz is the same age as Brown this year... in which Brown put up numbers nearly identical to 2nd year Michael Beasley and just a hair below 2nd year Jeff Green?

I'm a fan of Brown.  Most likely he peaks out as a fringe star.  Fultz had a very bizarre rookie season, but it's too early to give up on him. 

Neither team would trade Fultz for Brown so it's a moot point.   Boston might move Brown in a package for Kawhi, but it would be expensive and it's not really possible currently given our salaries.  If Fultz + Convington + #10 is on the table this week, it's gonna be tough to beat it.

« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2018, 04:26:29 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Brown is a thousand times more valuable then current edition of Fultz plus 10th pick and Covington-

Fultz might have had one of the statistically worst first year, first round draft choices since that Cavs  fellow and that tall injury machine from 2007.  Is he top 10 worst  of all time for first year, first round picks? He is a prospect now and nothing to warrant that as elite right now. I just dont see how it is even close to compare Brown trade with one headed up by the blind shooter.

I want to keep Brown and Tatum together anyway——I also want to keep Fultz in Philly and Lebron on West Coast. with Leonard.

« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2018, 04:27:57 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Brown is a thousand times more valuable then current edition of Fultz plus 10th pick and Covington-

Fultz might have had one of the statistically worst first year, first round draft choices since that Cavs  fellow and that tall injury machine from 2007.  Is he top 10 worst  of all time for first year, first round picks? He is a prospect now and nothing to warrant that as elite right now. I just dont see how it is even close to compare Brown trade with one headed up by the blind shooter.

I want to keep Brown and Tatum together anyway——I also want to keep Fultz in Philly and Lebron on West Coast. with Leonard.

Bingo

« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2018, 04:28:05 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

19 year old Fult per-36:  14.2 points, 7.5 assists, 6.1 rebounds, 1.7 steals
19 year old Brown per-36:  0 points, 0 assists, 0 rebounds, 0 steals

Brown didn't enter the league until he was 20 and put up averages of 6.6 points, 2.8 rebounds, 0.8 assists, 0.4 steals... and he averaged 12 minutes in the playoffs with multiple DNPs.

How confident are you that Fultz next year (when he's the same age as Brown's rookie season) will be just as forgettable? 

How about in two seasons when Fultz is the same age as Brown this year... in which Brown put up numbers nearly identical to 2nd year Michael Beasley and just a hair below 2nd year Jeff Green?

I'm a fan of Brown.  Most likely he peaks out as a fringe star.  Fultz had a very bizarre rookie season, but it's too early to give up on him. 

Neither team would trade Fultz for Brown so it's a moot point.   Boston might move Brown in a package for Kawhi, but it would be expensive and it's not really possible currently given our salaries.  If Fultz + Convington + #10 is on the table this week, it's gonna be tough to beat it.

Thanks for the laugh LaBrd33. I missed your intuitive posts and excellent writing, but your 76ers fanboyism? Absolutely not.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different