Author Topic: Pick 2: Draft Order (order for Coaches round posted on pg 204)  (Read 494753 times)

Re: Pick 2: Draft Order for teams and picks
« Reply #2925 on: February 22, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
TP to Yoki for the fierce defense of Monta - he's a flawed player, at times deeply flawed, but it sometimes feels like owners here would call him a detriment to any team in any context.  I'm not a fan but he's really not that bad.

I'm not saying that he's one of the best. He's just not as bad. And he's flaws are being covered by the teammates that surrounds him.

Chicago is still a contender, don't mind if everyone else hates the PG.

Yea don't really get all the hate for Monta. He's played on a ton of bad teams, the guys talent is unquestionable

1) Shoots under 40% from the field

2) Is a poor facilitator as a starting PG

3) Extremely poor shot selection

4) Unwilling to change playing style for benefit of the team

5) (personal speculation) Selfish player who puts himself above team's needs

Those are my issues with Monta Ellis. If he's scoring 25 points per game for you, he's taking 25 shots, which is a net negative. He's second from last among qualified point guards in PPS, and his only saving grace is (Name Redacted) being the player we all thought he was.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2926 on: February 22, 2013, 11:55:49 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Chicago is a great defensive team(if not the best) but i think they can make the case for worst FG% shooting team

Monta Ellis .399
Andre Iguodala .441
Loul Deng .424
Glen Davis .448
Joakim Noah .458
You still need a four. I like my team defensively better but second place isn't bad.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2927 on: February 22, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
TP to Yoki for the fierce defense of Monta - he's a flawed player, at times deeply flawed, but it sometimes feels like owners here would call him a detriment to any team in any context.  I'm not a fan but he's really not that bad.

I'm not saying that he's one of the best. He's just not as bad. And he's flaws are being covered by the teammates that surrounds him.

Yea don't really get all the hate for Monta. He's played on a ton of bad teams, the guys talent is unquestionable
This is probably the best team he has played for and he is having an awful season. That being said he doesn't have the type of players around him that maximize his talents (in Milwaukee)

Yea Jennings is a horrible fit for him. He really needs a pass first PG and a real post presence
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #2928 on: February 22, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Trade Confirmed   

Washington sends:  Monta Ellis
Chicago sends:  Joe Johnson

I still think Chicago should have traded Deng instead. I like that Bulls team with Monta alongside JJ and Iggy on the wings. Less so with Deng there and no JJ.

I think Chicago would have been better off dumping Glen Davis and keeping their JJ, Iggy and Deng trio than making this move.

Very good upgrade for Washington. JJ is a really good player and he should fit in reasonably well alongside Tony Parker and Pau Gasol.

Reason as to why Chicago agreed to take cursed Monta is because of Deng and Iggy. They can cover up whatever defensive flaw Ellis has.

JJ and Monta would be like Jennings and Monta, fighting over shots and not having good defense to give back. With Deng and Iggy, Monta can chuck shots, drop 30, and get covered defensively because both are stellar wing defenders.

I think having that (1) extra ball-handler and passer in JJ as well as having (2) a true 2nd shot-creator and (3) quality strong long distance jump-shooter alongside Monta ... was very important to your offense working.

There isn't enough spacing now and there is no plan B when Monta isn't able to generate a quality shot for himself. Teams can back off Deng and Iggy and clog the driving lanes when Monta is on the ball. They can back off of Monta too and dare him into long jumpers. And when that happens neither Deng or Iggy (or Brand or Noah) are strong enough shot-creators to give you a quality second option offensively. The offense will still be one of the weaker ones in the league.

The perimeter defense with Monta, Iggy and Deng is spectacular but Chicago still would have had one of the best perimeter defenses in the league with Monta, JJ and Iggy.

I think you've lost more offensively than you have gained defensively by choosing Deng over JJ.

I disagree.

While they are not shooting well from behind the arc, it's not a good idea to leave Deng and Iggy alone there. Besides, Deng always parks himself in the three point area, so he stretches the defense already, lay back on him and MOnta will find him 1-3 times, and he can hit that shot.

Big Baby has a perimeter game, he can run pick and pops with Monta, opening the floor for him once more to use that Mississippi Bullet speed of his and his ability to finish.

There is enough ability for this team to create floor spacing for Monta. Again, they may not be shooting at an efficient rate, but I dare anyone to leave Iggy and Deng wide open behind the arc. I dare anyone to leave Big Baby wide open 10-17 feet in the perimeter, because they can hit those shots and Monta can find them open.

And with the defense, Deng is way better than JJ.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #2929 on: February 22, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

This is probably the best team he has played for and he is having an awful season. That being said he doesn't have the type of players around him that maximize his talents (in Milwaukee)

Yea Jennings is a horrible fit for him. He really needs a pass first PG and a real post presence

In defense of Yoki's team (and the teams Ellis has been on), what I think Ellis really needs are floor-spacing bigs, and versatile, elite-passing wings.

He's managed to assemble that, at least with Glen Davis's jumper.

Still, I don't think any team that needs Ellis to be its leading scorer can be a contender.

« Reply #2930 on: February 22, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Those are my issues with Monta Ellis. If he's scoring 25 points per game for you, he's taking 25 shots, which is a net negative. He's second from last among qualified point guards in PPS, and his only saving grace is (Name Redacted) being the player we all thought he was.

For starters I personally don't view him as a PG at all. He's an undersized two. Also, playing on bad teams he's forced to put up a lot of shots, I mean who else is going to score in Miluakee? He has his flaws but I have yet to see him in a situation in real life where I think he fits.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #2931 on: February 22, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513
Chicago is a great defensive team(if not the best) but i think they can make the case for worst FG% shooting team

Monta Ellis .399
Andre Iguodala .441
Loul Deng .424
Glen Davis .448
Joakim Noah .458

When you add all these numbers and divide by 5 you get .434
but with
Monta 17 shots
Iggy 11 shots
Loul Deng 15 shots
Glen Davis 14 shots
Joakim Noah 10 shots

You can argue thats its a .432 team

Also Big Baby is out for like 3 months i think

« Reply #2932 on: February 22, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

1. That is true, but as long as he drops 25, Chicago doesnt mind.

2. As poor as he is, he averages 5 assists per game. He can find open team mates. Also, Iggy CAN set him up for easier shots.

3. He doesnt have to change playing style with this team.

4. He's over the mo-ped thing.

He's not the perfect player. He's not better than JJ, I get that. But he would not have a problem playing with this team.

« Reply #2933 on: February 22, 2013, 12:04:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

For starters I personally don't view him as a PG at all. He's an undersized two. Also, playing on bad teams he's forced to put up a lot of shots, I mean who else is going to score in Miluakee? He has his flaws but I have yet to see him in a situation in real life where I think he fits.

That might be because the only place Monta really 'fits' is in 2008 highlight reels with people rocking 'We Believe' t-shirts.**

**Sorry, I don't actually believe that, Monta's not that bad of a player, just the zing was too good. I had to give it life.

« Reply #2934 on: February 22, 2013, 12:06:41 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Monta Ellis .399
Andre Iguodala .441
Loul Deng .424
Glen Davis .448
Joakim Noah .458

but with
Monta 17 shots
Iggy 11 shots
Loul Deng 15 shots
Glen Davis 14 shots
Joakim Noah 10 shots

43% is fine by us. We can improve that. But lets not forget, shut down wings, very good defensive anchor, a big who can take charges, rebounding like crazy? We can be a 43% shooting team, but we'll hold opponents to 40%

Also, Rondo, Varejao, Lou Williams are out for the year. Love and Pau are out for weeks as well, I don't see the argument here?

BTW, I once created a buzz in this draft because of a trade I made. My mission is complete.

« Reply #2935 on: February 22, 2013, 12:14:53 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I like the trade for both teams.

Yoki did well to preserve the defensive backbone of his team, got younger and cleared cap space, gets a better fit for his roster.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2936 on: February 22, 2013, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline ronaldo943

• NFT
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 513

Monta Ellis .399
Andre Iguodala .441
Loul Deng .424
Glen Davis .448
Joakim Noah .458

but with
Monta 17 shots
Iggy 11 shots
Loul Deng 15 shots
Glen Davis 14 shots
Joakim Noah 10 shots

43% is fine by us. We can improve that. But lets not forget, shut down wings, very good defensive anchor, a big who can take charges, rebounding like crazy? We can be a 43% shooting team, but we'll hold opponents to 40%

Also, Rondo, Varejao, Lou Williams are out for the year. Love and Pau are out for weeks as well, I don't see the argument here?

BTW, I once created a buzz in this draft because of a trade I made. My mission is complete.

I hope 40%(i'd say probably also around 43%) is an exaggeration, it is a great team though but no floor spacing

Monta Ellis .227 3P% Worse for PG
Iggy .310 3P% Second worse for SG
Loul Deng .312 3P% 5th worse for SF

If you can bring in high efficient shooters your team will be even better but for now you hold the worse FG% and 3P% but in my opinion one of the best defenses and i'd guess you are still a contender

Edit: It is a lot like the real Chicago team

« Reply #2937 on: February 22, 2013, 12:23:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
While we're waiting for KGsKnee to break my heart or not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-InMEVCcAV8

You're welcome.

« Reply #2938 on: February 22, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Monta Ellis .399
Andre Iguodala .441
Loul Deng .424
Glen Davis .448
Joakim Noah .458

but with
Monta 17 shots
Iggy 11 shots
Loul Deng 15 shots
Glen Davis 14 shots
Joakim Noah 10 shots

I hope 40% is an exaggeration, it is a great team though but no floor spacing

Monta Ellis .227 3P% Worse for PG
Iggy .310 3P% Second worse for SG
Loul Deng .312 3P% 5th worse for SF

If you can bring in high efficient shooters your team will be even better but for now you hold the worse FG% and 3P% but in my opinion one of the best defenses and i'd guess you are still a contender

Again, I dare any team to leave Deng, Iggy and Baby wide open on three point landia and perimeter. They are shooting ineffectively this season, but their game is perimeter shots. They will hit those shots.

Teams want to clog the lanes, dare us to be beat by Deng and Iggy shooting threes? Fine by us, because they will hit those.

« Reply #2939 on: February 22, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Trade breezes blow gently falling raindrops in Portland.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague