Author Topic: Kings Trade Idea For Wallace  (Read 5211 times)

Kings Trade Idea For Wallace
« on: November 11, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Over at Sactown royalty, a board member proposed this:

Thornton, Thompson, John Salmons

for

Humphries, Wallace

Do you make that trade ?

I don't, just based on the value of the contracts the Celtics are taking on.  Humphries contract is worth far more than that as well.  That expiring contract could loom large with a far better trade.

I feel Ainge is prepared to play out Wallace's contract and likes what he brings to the 2nd unit.

If something like this was proposed, I'd jump all over it.

Salmons, Fredette

for

Gerald Wallace, 2nd round pick

Re: Kings Trade Idea For Wallace
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'm sure Sacto fans want to get Thornton (malcontent) out of town, and shed Thompson's lengthy contract off the books.

Thompson's contract has a 5% trade kicker, but the last year on the deal is only guaranteed for around $2.6 million. He's overpaid, but I think he still can bring something to the table as a borderline starter/bench player.

Thornton is also overpaid. His contract has one more year after this one, so he's not going to be impossible to flip.

I think you're right: Humphries expiring should garner better offers. If the Kings were to add in a prospect or pick of some value, maybe that would move the needle for me.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yeah, if we were receiving the King's first rounder, I'd probably be all right with the trade.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
It's going to be real interesting to see what Ainge exactly does with the Humphries contract.  For me, that's a valuable chip and getting players from the Kings doesn't do it for me.  Unless it involves Cousins, and that isn't happening.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Does that above offer still work if instead of Humphries, Ainge subs in Bogans, Crawford, and Brooks?

Or does Boston take too much salary back, and cross that luxury tax line?

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:40:33 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
wouldn't do this deal.

i think the closest i would get would be:

SAC gets: Humphries, Wallace, Lee
BOS gets: Salmons, Hayes, Thornton, Thompson

my motivation is basically all about greater flexibility for the summer of 2015 (the Cs cut a large chuck of guaranteed salary). and i'd rather pay Thompson $6mil than Wallace $10.

meanwhile, Salmons and Bogans make up plenty of expiring money should the right deal come along. personally i don't see the Cs using them (combined) or Humphries, either way. they wanna take money off the books.

as far as team culture, the bum factor is kinda high on Thornton, and Thompson is a bit of a wallflower, but Hayes is a good locker room guy who should be movable to a contender before his deal is done.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Over at Sactown royalty, a board member proposed this:

Thornton, Thompson, John Salmons

for

Humphries, Wallace

Do you make that trade ?
Trades like this one do nothing for us. Not only do we get worse players on worse contracts, but we also add to the positional logjam at SG and PF.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
To answer my own question, the trade would work per the CBA, but it would also result in a net payroll increase that would set Boston over that tax line. So, no dice.

Perhaps there's something there. I'm certainly fine with swapping the contracts of Wallace and Thompson, because it'd be much easier to then turn around and deal JT at some point. I would definitely want to find a taker for Thornton ASAP, though.

Question is how many other chips would need to be used to strike such a deal.

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 01:03:21 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I don't see sac being interested. Wallace carries negative value and therefore Boston would need to add at least one draft pick I believe.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 01:27:14 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
Does that above offer still work if instead of Humphries, Ainge subs in Bogans, Crawford, and Brooks?

Or does Boston take too much salary back, and cross that luxury tax line?

Yeah, you answered your own question but I see where you were going with it.  Way too much money tied up in the 3 Kings.

They do need a 3 man, and a 3 man who can play D for Coach Malone.  Wallace fits that bill, so who knows what can be done.  I still think Ainge is prepared to go the distance with Wallace, despite many of the fans wanting him gone.

It's the Humphries contract that has me curious on what Ainge can do with that asset.

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 01:55:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd accept the trade provided they gave us the right to swap picks with them this year, and to swap one of the Nets picks with one of their picks in the future.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 08:15:49 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

CLE and SAC have been working the phones and exploring possible trades, per source. Both teams are open to making a move after slow start.

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/400855082071523328

I think SAC is an interesting trade partner. They want to improve their culture and become relevant again, and we have some solid citizens at positions where they suck -- SG, PF and SF.

I can see a deal of Wallace, Bass and Lee for Thornton, Salmons and Mbah a Moute. They get better players, we get cap space and glue all these guys to the bench (except the Fresh Prince who we flip to a contender at the deadline for cap space and / or a pick).

Can't you just see Ainge selling them on what Wallace will do for Cousins once he takes Boogie under his wing?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Too much money to pay three mediocre guys that dont really push us forward at all. Save Humps contract for a bigger fish or let it roll off the books for the cap space.

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 09:01:10 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
Too much money to pay three mediocre guys that dont really push us forward at all. Save Humps contract for a bigger fish or let it roll off the books for the cap space.

I assume you're commenting on the initial proposal, not my follow up suggestion this morning (which is a salary dump).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 09:19:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1552
Big trade

Rondo, Wallace, Lee, Bass

for

McLemore, Fredette, Thomas, Thompson, Salmons, Thornton, 2014 1st (top 5 protected), 2014 2nd, right to swap 1sts in 2015 & 2016

I think Sacto would want to see Rondo playing and healthy before making it, but I think it is a trade that would seemingly make sense for both teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip