Poll

Would it be an Epic Failure

Yes.
11 (19.3%)
No. Still think he can get it done.
46 (80.7%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Poll: If DA can't Land AD, Epic Failure  (Read 11085 times)

Re: Poll: If DA can't Land AD, Epic Failure
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 10:07:50 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
the poll question might be better stated as epic disappointment, and not epic failure.

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 10:10:16 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
the poll question might be better stated as epic disappointment, and not epic failure.
Yeah, it can only really be an epic failure in hindsight right?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 10:43:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The AD/Kyrie scenario has me terrified as a fan. If everything works, it is our best chance a a championship. It is also the most likely reason why the whole rebuild could fall apart. I also have a hard time loving two joyless superstars.

Count me as someone who would prefer to see Kyrie and Rozier leave, and have the franchise roll with what we got. Ainge will have some work to do at guard, but he's pretty great at strategic value grabs, and we should be able to make something of our draft choices.

I'm pretty certain we will see considerably more from Tatum, Brown and Hayward next year. We can still get to the top within a couple of years. I'm fine with seeing how good Tatum and Brown can be.

We just need a couple of reasonable breaks. For example, if Robert Williams evolved into a quality starter, that would alone change the team's trajectory. Things are hardly bleak without AD.
I have little to no faith that Danny can turn the 3 1st round picks into useful players...this year. I think that talent is severely lacking in this draft and that there is a way more likely chance of picking 3 Yabuseles than there is netting even one Morris or Smart level role player. I think there is a zero chance Danny grabs a Brown/Tatum level player with those picks.

To me, if there is no Davis, I hope Danny uses two or all three in a trade for someone or consolidates them for one higher pick or for a future pick or picks. I just do not like this draft after the top 2.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 10:49:16 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I am going to preface by saying that this will be extremely unpopular on this board:

Does anyone think that there is a way to take advantage of the Lakers dysfunction at the moment?  The Lakers have no path and they should either trade Lebron or trade their young guys.  What if Lebron was attainable?  I would have to imagine that he would cost much less than Davis and we may be able to offload Hayward's contract in the deal.  What if we gave up all of our picks (including Memphis) and Hayward for Lebron and we resigned Kyrie?  In that scenario, we would be able to keep Tatum, Brown and Smart.

The upside is that we have Lebron, Kyrie, Horford, Tatum and Brown as starters.  The downside is that this can further stunt Tatum and Brown's development.  However, we may be able to use one or both of them to trade for a position of need.

Just trying to think outside the box and see if anyone on here can see this or some other crazy theory happening.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I am going to preface by saying that this will be extremely unpopular on this board:

Does anyone think that there is a way to take advantage of the Lakers dysfunction at the moment?  The Lakers have no path and they should either trade Lebron or trade their young guys.  What if Lebron was attainable?  I would have to imagine that he would cost much less than Davis and we may be able to offload Hayward's contract in the deal.  What if we gave up all of our picks (including Memphis) and Hayward for Lebron and we resigned Kyrie?  In that scenario, we would be able to keep Tatum, Brown and Smart.

The upside is that we have Lebron, Kyrie, Horford, Tatum and Brown as starters.  The downside is that this can further stunt Tatum and Brown's development.  However, we may be able to use one or both of them to trade for a position of need.

Just trying to think outside the box and see if anyone on here can see this or some other crazy theory happening.

Only situation I can see this happening is if Kyrie is okay with LeBron back on the team again, and if AD is brought here also. An aging LeBron is not going to lead us against the Bucks... Giannis is just too good right now.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 11:11:45 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Only situation I can see this happening is if Kyrie is okay with LeBron back on the team again, and if AD is brought here also. An aging LeBron is not going to lead us against the Bucks... Giannis is just too good right now.

It would be hard to get both Lebron and AD in trades.  Our treasure trove is deep, but not that deep.

I think that if you swap out Hayward for Lebron on this past year's team, we get by Milwaukee.

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
The AD/Kyrie scenario has me terrified as a fan. If everything works, it is our best chance a a championship. It is also the most likely reason why the whole rebuild could fall apart. I also have a hard time loving two joyless superstars.

Count me as someone who would prefer to see Kyrie and Rozier leave, and have the franchise roll with what we got. Ainge will have some work to do at guard, but he's pretty great at strategic value grabs, and we should be able to make something of our draft choices.

I'm pretty certain we will see considerably more from Tatum, Brown and Hayward next year. We can still get to the top within a couple of years. I'm fine with seeing how good Tatum and Brown can be.

We just need a couple of reasonable breaks. For example, if Robert Williams evolved into a quality starter, that would alone change the team's trajectory. Things are hardly bleak without AD.
I have little to no faith that Danny can turn the 3 1st round picks into useful players...this year. I think that talent is severely lacking in this draft and that there is a way more likely chance of picking 3 Yabuseles than there is netting even one Morris or Smart level role player. I think there is a zero chance Danny grabs a Brown/Tatum level player with those picks.

To me, if there is no Davis, I hope Danny uses two or all three in a trade for someone or consolidates them for one higher pick or for a future pick or picks. I just do not like this draft after the top 2.
It's a weak draft, and consolidating them for shots at higher picks in the future would be great. Problem is, everyone knows it's a weak draft and someone would have to really be in love with a guy to give us a future unprotected pick.

But there's almost always someone there if we don't trade, even in bad years. A Donovan Mitchell, Siakam, Jokic, Butler, Draymond, Freak, sitting there in the mid to late 1st or 2nd. Ainge has never truly hit it big on one of those type picks, he's got to at some point, especially if he isn't able to put things in place to build around Kyrie and AD.

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2019, 11:13:50 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

no thank you.

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 11:13:57 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

It would be hard to get both Lebron and AD in trades.  Our treasure trove is deep, but not that deep.

I think that if you swap out Hayward for Lebron on this past year's team, we get by Milwaukee.

I would rather take AD over LeBron.

LeBron 3-4 years ago? Sure, but he's 34 now. That is not someone you want to throw all your picks for.

Also very debatable... LeBron is not going to help us switch on Giannis, or cover the 3 pt line... His defense has been pretty meh...

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2019, 11:25:40 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
i like epic disappointment.

we ll see what DA has up his sleeve

we think we know what he will do ,  generally the majority of us are fooled somewhere along the journey of predicting DA.

Picking KO over GA , is somethingi ll never get over tho .

Kyrie was a good gamble .  Always wondered what he would look like on the Celtics .   Sometimes you gotta gamble .  ahe was too good to pass up , no matter what happens

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 11:32:06 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The "worst case scenario" is AD traded to the Lakers, Kyrie signs with the Knicks, Horford opts out and signs with a contender, and the Celts go super young.

Even in that scenario, they still have Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, three 1st round picks in this draft, the Memphis pick, Robert Williams, a good coach, Marcus Smart, and Gordon Hayward.

It could be muuuch worse.

Actually I think the "worst" case scenario is Kyrie re-signs but only for a year or two guaranteed, the Celts trade all their good stuff for AD, next year is rocky from the start, AD or Kyrie or both end up hurt by playoff time, and then AD leaves in free agency.  That's the complete disaster scenario.

Even if both Kyrie and Durant sign with the Knicks and the Lakers are able to trade for AD, I'd still rather be where the Celts are in terms of assets, roster, coach, and management than either of those moribund franchises.

How about the middle road?  What if Kyrie leaves and AD isn't coming, but Horford re-signs for 3-4 years at a reasonable figure, and then Danny trades Hayward plus one or two of the 1st rounders in this weak draft for Mike Conley?

Tell me you wouldn't be happy to watch Conley - Smart - Brown - Tatum - Horford next year.  Sure, they'll be an underdog to make the ECF, let alone the Finals, but I wouldn't put it past that group plus Stevens to find a way.

There are lots of good possibilities for this team that don't involve Anthony Davis.  There are also a few awful ones that do involve him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2019, 11:38:48 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Well, not just Davis.  If we lose Kyrie for nothing, and thus don't get Davis, then that will be bad.

If the team can resign Kyrie then DA still has plenty of options to balance the roster.  I'd shop Tatum or Brown or both for a better fit.

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2019, 11:52:44 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Well, not just Davis.  If we lose Kyrie for nothing, and thus don't get Davis, then that will be bad.

If the team can resign Kyrie then DA still has plenty of options to balance the roster.  I'd shop Tatum or Brown or both for a better fit.

Why is that bad? We have five first round picks this year and next and our team will be better without Kyrie.

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
The "worst case scenario" is AD traded to the Lakers, Kyrie signs with the Knicks, Horford opts out and signs with a contender, and the Celts go super young.

Even in that scenario, they still have Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, three 1st round picks in this draft, the Memphis pick, Robert Williams, a good coach, Marcus Smart, and Gordon Hayward.

It could be muuuch worse.

Actually I think the "worst" case scenario is Kyrie re-signs but only for a year or two guaranteed, the Celts trade all their good stuff for AD, next year is rocky from the start, AD or Kyrie or both end up hurt by playoff time, and then AD leaves in free agency.  That's the complete disaster scenario.

Even if both Kyrie and Durant sign with the Knicks and the Lakers are able to trade for AD, I'd still rather be where the Celts are in terms of assets, roster, coach, and management than either of those moribund franchises.

How about the middle road?  What if Kyrie leaves and AD isn't coming, but Horford re-signs for 3-4 years at a reasonable figure, and then Danny trades Hayward plus one or two of the 1st rounders in this weak draft for Mike Conley?

Tell me you wouldn't be happy to watch Conley - Smart - Brown - Tatum - Horford next year.  Sure, they'll be an underdog to make the ECF, let alone the Finals, but I wouldn't put it past that group plus Stevens to find a way.

There are lots of good possibilities for this team that don't involve Anthony Davis.  There are also a few awful ones that do involve him.

I like Conley, but he's 31 with plenty of mileage and 56 playoff games under his belt... I wouldn't be surprised if Conley got injured before the playoffs, and we're left once again without a decent PG as our starter.

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2019, 12:19:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not much choice in your options.  you're calling him a failure if he doesn't and the other says ignore the premise in your title that it doesn't happen by choosing that it will.  should fix that to either yes/no or better yet, add other options that cover some of the other opinions that have been expressed around here such as:
- don't want the AD trade to happen
- want the AD trade to happen but if it doesn't, it's just a disappointment, not "an epic fail"

personally, I want the AD trade to happen but it'd just be a disappointment if it doesn't.  That of course is predicated on resigning Kyrie, keeping Al, Hayward furthering his recovery, Brown/Tatum/Williams/Semi working on their games this summer, dumping Rozier and finding a better veteran swing guard for the bench.  I'm on the fence about keeping Morris.   

I'm optimistic that the team knowing they have to work out their personal issues/agendas in order to succeed will be of primary focus this summer and training camp.  There's a lot of talent on the team, getting it to gel would provide much better results.