Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 354223 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #930 on: January 12, 2017, 09:43:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
LOL. Good ol' Brooklyn.  :D

« Reply #931 on: January 12, 2017, 09:50:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
I hope Ainge is calling the Sixers for Noel.

For reals. He'd help us so, so much, and we certainly need it with how terrible we've been defensively and on the boards.

I think we can really challenge Toronto in the playoffs with a Noel upgrade.
I'm sure teams including Boston have asked about Noel, but until someone makes a worthwhile offer, there's no incentive for Philly to trade him.

The incentive is that his value becomes less and less as time goes on. 
His value has actually gotten higher and higher daily since he returned.  Philly is playing their best basketball in a long time with him back in the fold and he's putting up pretty outstanding numbers.  Also, he's showing signs of a mid-range shot which is kind of shocking if it's legitimate.

He's putting up per-36 stats of 19.1 points (way up) 8.4 rebounds, 2.9 steals and 1.6 blocks with 60% shooting (way up) and 67% from the line (way up).   

Small sample size, but if that continues and Philly keeps looking decent, his trade value will continue to increase heading into the trade deadline.

Philly might as well just keep him if nobody gives them a decent offer.  He could be the best backup big in the league next season if that's the role they want him for.

Are we just ignoring the report that he doesn't want to be a backup and wants to get a max contract today? Also nobody's value fluctuates daily. That is a bit absurd. I am pretty sure you are referencing about 9 mid range jump shots so far this season. I think there is a chance he could improve his shooting range cause many players have done this successfully. However, nobody is wildly adjusting their reports on him off of 9 shots.

Of course he is, because it doesn't fit his entire narrative this whole time. I literally just posted all of that stuff from Kyler, and he just ignored it and reaffirmed his original position lol Classic LarBrd33! Even some of the more objective LibertyBallers posters were chastising other posters about selectively ignoring reports of Noel not wanting to stay in Philly or be a backup for them.
I don't know who this Kyler guy is, but I checked his twitter and the only recent Philly post I see is him declaring Ben Simmons and Nerlens Noel "the stars" of Philly and suggesting everyone else needs to be traded. 

Sounds like if Philly listened to Kyler, Joel Embiid would be on his way out the door and Noel would be the franchise center. 

*shrug*

What's clear is that Noel's trade value is has at least doubled in the past month and Philly is gelling.  Your very own Kyler considers him a star.  If he ends up in the backup 25-30 minute per night role (similar to Marcus Smart here), maybe it works out for them long-term.   With Embiid as a budding future superstar, Noel would probably be the best backup center in the league.  They'd have 48 minutes per night of elite big man defense.

LOL! First off, that's just a bold-faced, outright lie, because I *literally* posted at least a half dozen of his tweets regarding the Noel trade situation in the past two days lol Nice try, though.

He's a very reputable NBA insider, and he knows what he's talking about. And he was obviously talking about Embiid and Simmons in that particular tweet, not Noel. He simply misspoke, and the context shows that pretty clearly.

EDIT: Here it is for you, since you "somehow" couldn't find them on his Twitter page.  ;)

For reals. He'd help us so, so much, and we certainly need it with how terrible we've been defensively and on the boards.

I'm sure teams including Boston have asked about Noel, but until someone makes a worthwhile offer, there's no incentive for Philly to trade him.

Sure, if you ignore reality and pretty much only listen to fans on LibertyBallers.

It's widely reported that Noel does not want to stay there outside of the max, which they're certainly not going to give to a backup player behind Embiid, because he's not a backup big and doesn't want to be one. And even if they would be willing to do something that stupid, which they aren't, mind you, it's clear that that's not a move that good organizations make.

Here's Kyler talking about it recently:

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819303748384280577

I know people want to believe Nerlens would be OK staying, but barring a MAX deal from the 76ers, he wants to move on from my understanding

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819304238748696576

Noel was told after his "I'm not a 8 minute player" rant to stay quiet and let the 76ers do what they need to do.

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819312668830003201

Not any offer but I think they ultimately move him [Noel] before the deadline.

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819313357920600066

As I tweeted a few times. I don't think either are in the grand scheme for the 76ers. They have more time with Okafor

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819527588976726020

Clock is not ticking on Okafor as it is for Noel. 76ers have time on an Okafor deal. I don't think both are in long-term for the 76ers

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819528335432843264

Maybe, but like I said, the vibe I got from the situation is 76ers will move Nerlens before the deadline.

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819530228867485698

That is fine, but my understanding if neither party wants to stay together, so that is always bad when you hold a guy hostage.

So, yeah, it's pretty obvious that he's getting traded. Sure, they're not going to trade him for a bad contract like Mozgov or something, but they're clearly not going to get anywhere near what they want for him. They'll trade him at the deadline, even if it's for something as simple as a conditional first round pick, middling prospect, and salary filler.

« Reply #932 on: January 12, 2017, 09:51:03 PM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Embiid and the 76ers have won 4 of their last 5 (barely lost to us).  Great for the Nets pick.   Simmons might be back within the next couple months.  They have been playing great since Noel returned.

Not possible. We have a losing culture.

The fact that we suddenly had a massive influx of talent including a 7'2 pterodactyl who can shoot 3s is irrelevant, the fact that once the talent assembled got healthy they improved dramatically is irrelevant. Nope the Sixers are winless regardless of wins this year because of culture.

What is a losing culture? ROFL if you don't know then you obviously have one, it's not something idiots make up because they can't logically refute losing games to acquire a Center who had an off night and went for 21 and 14.

This guy serious?

You won 50 games over the past three seasons and had 3 shots at a good NBA center, you finally stumbled across a really good one, and you're suddenly under the impression that there was never a culture of losing?

It was well worth that 3 years of being a laughing stock. You're so close to that elusive championship now. Its just around the corner.

And you're closer?  :o

You've been blasted out of the first round two years in a row, you're a year away from tossing max money to a 5'9 guard who relies on his athleticism to score, your 2nd best player is making 30 million dollars in a bid for him to peak at his previous career apex which was a non-competitive ECF with LeBron, and you basically are playing the same "dear god please let us win the lottery this year" game we played for the last 3 with the illusion of "contending" in the mean time.

What exactly is a culture of losing? The team lost because the few good players they had good were hurt, they had an empty cupboard thanks to the Bynum trade and they didn't shoot their wad on the Aaron Afflalo and Marco Belinelli's of the world to pretend like this was going to be anything other than a long process.

Losing culture is nonsense idiots made up so they could thump their chests over a pair of sub 50 win seasons in which the Celtics got run off the court in the first round despite playing in the weaker NBA conference. Huzzah!

Guess what? I played that game for half a decade with Iverson following the Finals run, it doesn't mean anything.

Boohoo. I'm sorry that my team wins games and lets me enjoy myself while we still get good picks in the draft. Your team without two 29 year old vets is still god awful. Don't get delusions of grandeur of your "young developing roster".

And yes, having a team that makes playoffs and has playoff experience is far closer to winning another championship than a cellar dwellar with zero experience of high pressure situations. That is basic, simple logic.

Thanks for repeatedly melting so hard on another team's board though. Its been a gas to read.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #933 on: January 12, 2017, 09:57:10 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Embiid and the 76ers have won 4 of their last 5 (barely lost to us).  Great for the Nets pick.   Simmons might be back within the next couple months.  They have been playing great since Noel returned.

The fact that we suddenly had a massive influx of talent including a 7'2 pterodactyl who can shoot 3s is irrelevant, the fact that once the talent assembled got healthy they improved dramatically is irrelevant. Nope the Sixers are winless regardless of wins this year because of culture.

What is a losing culture? ROFL if you don't know then you obviously have one, it's not something idiots make up because they can't logically refute losing games to acquire a Center who had an off night and went for 21 and 14.

LOL! You want proof that there's a losing culture in Philly - you're over here bragging about a .306 winning percentage with a record of 11-25. lol The proof is in the pudding.

This coming from a fanbase that has been thumping it's chest about 1st round playoff exits and Kevin Durant not signing here but saying nice things after he shot down their offer?

Ok then.

More like this coming from a fanbase that has 17 championships to a measly 3 championships; been in the playoffs the last two years; won more games last year than you did in the previous three years; and is currently beating you in the tankathon race, all while being the third best team in the East compared to the third worst team in the NBA.  ;)

It's going to be hilarious when the Sixers' actual taste of not completely sucking this year makes them fall back to fifth in the draft and you're yet again unable to add a competent guard to that mismatched roster of yours. Have fun with TJ freaking McConnell hitting game winners for you guys to put you even futher out of reach of having any actual NBA guards!  ;D
Have you not been paying attention?  This draft is projected to be very good and deep especially at PG and SF.  With their pick and the Lakers pick, the Sixers will get two good prospects at positions they need.  Add those 2 prospects to Embiid and Simmons and they'll have a very good young core.  They also have some good young support players/prospects:  Covington, Saric, Luwawu, Kormaz (stashed).  Haven't even mentioned Noel or Okafor.

I was specifically talking about guards, and there's three primary guards that are headlining this draft - Fultz, Ball, and Smith. If they finish fifth or worse, they're probably stuck with taking a SF in Jackson or Tatum, which are still good gets but not what they were hoping for this draft, since they are by far the weakest in the guard department.

« Reply #934 on: January 12, 2017, 10:27:24 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
the only time I will dislike the 6ers is when they are a serious threat on the court, a true rival. good luck to embiid, seems like a good kid. don't like the tanking for seasons but it's within the rules so it's w/e.   
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #935 on: January 12, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

His value has actually gotten higher and higher daily since he returned.  Philly is playing their best basketball in a long time with him back in the fold and he's putting up pretty outstanding numbers.  Also, he's showing signs of a mid-range shot which is kind of shocking if it's legitimate.

He's putting up per-36 stats of 19.1 points (way up) 8.4 rebounds, 2.9 steals and 1.6 blocks with 60% shooting (way up) and 67% from the line (way up).   

Small sample size, but if that continues and Philly keeps looking decent, his trade value will continue to increase heading into the trade deadline.

Philly might as well just keep him if nobody gives them a decent offer.  He could be the best backup big in the league next season if that's the role they want him for.

Are we just ignoring the report that he doesn't want to be a backup and wants to get a max contract today? Also nobody's value fluctuates daily. That is a bit absurd. I am pretty sure you are referencing about 9 mid range jump shots so far this season. I think there is a chance he could improve his shooting range cause many players have done this successfully. However, nobody is wildly adjusting their reports on him off of 9 shots.

Of course he is, because it doesn't fit his entire narrative this whole time. I literally just posted all of that stuff from Kyler, and he just ignored it and reaffirmed his original position lol Classic LarBrd33! Even some of the more objective LibertyBallers posters were chastising other posters about selectively ignoring reports of Noel not wanting to stay in Philly or be a backup for them.
I don't know who this Kyler guy is, but I checked his twitter and the only recent Philly post I see is him declaring Ben Simmons and Nerlens Noel "the stars" of Philly and suggesting everyone else needs to be traded. 

Sounds like if Philly listened to Kyler, Joel Embiid would be on his way out the door and Noel would be the franchise center. 

*shrug*

What's clear is that Noel's trade value is has at least doubled in the past month and Philly is gelling.  Your very own Kyler considers him a star.  If he ends up in the backup 25-30 minute per night role (similar to Marcus Smart here), maybe it works out for them long-term.   With Embiid as a budding future superstar, Noel would probably be the best backup center in the league.  They'd have 48 minutes per night of elite big man defense.

LOL! First off, that's just a bold-faced, outright lie, because I *literally* posted at least a half dozen of his tweets regarding the Noel trade situation in the past two days lol Nice try, though.

He's a very reputable NBA insider, and he knows what he's talking about. And he was obviously talking about Embiid and Simmons in that particular tweet, not Noel. He simply misspoke, and the context shows that pretty clearly.

I dunno dude that seems like pure speculation.  Tweet don't lie.  He very clearly says Noel/Simmons are the stars and the rest of the team should be traded.  I would take what that guy says with a grain of salt.

« Reply #936 on: January 12, 2017, 10:39:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
I get the feeling we will get annoyed by a ton of Butler rumors in a month..

Bulls lost to the Knicks tonight, and while Butler didn't play, it's becoming clear CHI probably aren't making the playoffs even with a healthy Butler. They will shop him around and sure enough, we will see a good 20 articles/tumors/posts about him...

(For the record I'm aware we need a scoring wing but I don't want to get Butler especially at the price CHI will command. Stay patient. Keep the Nets 2017 Pick)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #937 on: January 12, 2017, 10:57:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
Wow, the Lakers lost by 40 to the Spurs tonight. Their tank is in full effect.

« Reply #938 on: January 13, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

LOL! You want proof that there's a losing culture in Philly - you're over here bragging about a .306 winning percentage with a record of 11-25. lol The proof is in the pudding.

This coming from a fanbase that has been thumping it's chest about 1st round playoff exits and Kevin Durant not signing here but saying nice things after he shot down their offer?

Ok then.

More like this coming from a fanbase that has 17 championships to a measly 3 championships; been in the playoffs the last two years; won more games last year than you did in the previous three years; and is currently beating you in the tankathon race, all while being the third best team in the East compared to the third worst team in the NBA.  ;)

It's going to be hilarious when the Sixers' actual taste of not completely sucking this year makes them fall back to fifth in the draft and you're yet again unable to add a competent guard to that mismatched roster of yours. Have fun with TJ freaking McConnell hitting game winners for you guys to put you even futher out of reach of having any actual NBA guards!  ;D
Have you not been paying attention?  This draft is projected to be very good and deep especially at PG and SF.  With their pick and the Lakers pick, the Sixers will get two good prospects at positions they need.  Add those 2 prospects to Embiid and Simmons and they'll have a very good young core.  They also have some good young support players/prospects:  Covington, Saric, Luwawu, Kormaz (stashed).  Haven't even mentioned Noel or Okafor.

I was specifically talking about guards, and there's three primary guards that are headlining this draft - Fultz, Ball, and Smith. If they finish fifth or worse, they're probably stuck with taking a SF in Jackson or Tatum, which are still good gets but not what they were hoping for this draft, since they are by far the weakest in the guard department.
Add Fox and Ntilikina to your list of PGs. Personally I put both of them above Smith.  On the LibertyBallers site, there is a lot of support for Ntilikina (6'5", 6'11" wingspan) as their PG choice if they don't get Fultz.  Getting Jackson or Tatum and Ntilikina would be a nice fallback if they miss out on Fultz. 

« Reply #939 on: January 13, 2017, 12:26:40 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

*shrug*

I dunno dude that seems like pure speculation.  Tweet don't lie.  He very clearly says Noel/Simmons are the stars and the rest of the team should be traded.  I would take what that guy says with a grain of salt.

Noel and Okafor willl certainly be traded/let walk because they are garbage.

« Reply #940 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

*shrug*

That's just a typo by Kyler.  He obviously meant Embiid and Simmons are the stars, not Noel.  He literally said in his immediately preceding tweet: "the vibe I got from the situation is 76ers will move Nerlens before the deadline."  For someone who's so good at finding tweets, you could at least look one tweet down...

« Reply #941 on: January 13, 2017, 01:46:27 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552
Now that he's playing Noel is at least displaying the proper attitude whether or not he really means it. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20170113_Noel__definitely_satisfied__with_role_on_Sixers.html

« Reply #942 on: January 13, 2017, 02:30:42 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Now that he's playing Noel is at least displaying the proper attitude whether or not he really means it. 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20170113_Noel__definitely_satisfied__with_role_on_Sixers.html

https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819304238748696576

Noel was told after his "I'm not a 8 minute player" rant to stay quiet and let the 76ers do what they need to do.

It's for his own good for his ultimate desire to be traded. But I found that article funny. It seems like it is very awkward in Philly right now, and that article just reaked of people "saying the right things" but knowing that he's not going to be there in March.

I thought these quotes were telling from Noel:
"You now see how comfortable I can feel throughout the duration of the season, being at the place that I am at," Noel said. "So, right now, I feel pretty good. So we will just have to see."

"At this moment in time, I'm definitely satisfied with where I'm at and the team's rotation," Noel said. "I think I'm able to go out there and still affect the game, change the game multiple ways."

Combined with the reports that both sides are ready to move on and Noel has no intention of being a long-term bench guy, it's pretty clear the divorce is imminent. I still hope it's Boston that lands him.

« Reply #943 on: January 13, 2017, 02:48:33 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

*shrug*

That's just a typo by Kyler.  He obviously meant Embiid and Simmons are the stars, not Noel.  He literally said in his immediately preceding tweet: "the vibe I got from the situation is 76ers will move Nerlens before the deadline."  For someone who's so good at finding tweets, you could at least look one tweet down...
i think that just speaks to how rapidly trade value changes over time. Within a matter of minutes Kyler went from blindly speculating that Noel would be traded to suddenly changing his mind and calling Noel one of the team's only two untradeable stars.  Sounds like this kyler guy had a change of heart.

« Reply #944 on: January 13, 2017, 02:59:23 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Ok then.

Yes. Fail to add a competent guard with the 5th pick. You do realize that like 5 of the top 7 prospects are point guards or combo guards? And the other two guys would still fit in our lineup? And we have the Lakers pick. And an unprotected Kings pick in '19. And a ton of cap space. But yeah, that's tragic.

And I love citing championships from the Vietnam war era like they've in any way affected either of us. In my life the Celtics have made two Finals and won one championship, the Sixers have made 1 finals and lost. Ohhhhh nooooo. You're the basketball equivalent of a Yankees fan bragging about Babe Ruth, or a Ford F-150 driver bragging about the Model T. Nobody cares.