Author Topic: Did Cavs blow it turning down Doncic?  (Read 5608 times)

Re: Did Cavs blow it turning down Doncic?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 02:42:21 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
Wendell Carter is looking amazing in summer league. Cav fans will be tormented for decades when sexton becomes Jarrett jack 2.0 and Carter is  horford

So agree.  I wanted Carter so [dang] bad and would have loved him if we had gotten the laker pick.  He was the perfect addition to this team.

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 08:36:34 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
It sounds like the Cavs are adamant about keeping Love. Do people believe this?
About as much as I believe they’re adamant about keeping Korber.

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 09:07:45 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Until Doncic plays NBA minutes it is too soon to judge.   I recall the same people telling me Dragan Bender was going to be a force in the league and Darko.

I think Doncic is different, though, but the Eurohype here is sickening.   How is it none of these experts were high on Theis who can play quite well?

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2018, 12:17:55 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think they blew it because I think Doncic will be extremely good - we'll see.

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yes. Sexton ceiling is a career backup at best. He has no special qualities. He peaked during a few games in college and that's it
Lol, this is just incredibly untrue. He's a pretty elite athlete and scorer, even with a shaky jumpshot. Dismissing him averaging 19/4/4 over a college season as "a few games" is pretty weird
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2018, 02:08:50 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Until Doncic plays NBA minutes it is too soon to judge.   I recall the same people telling me Dragan Bender was going to be a force in the league and Darko.

I think Doncic is different, though, but the Eurohype here is sickening.   How is it none of these experts were high on Theis who can play quite well?

Apples and oranges....
Theis was a guy playing in German league without impressing anyone while Doncic  lead real Madrid to Spanish and euroleague titles.

But yeah... Bender received unreal hype for a player who didn't say any real playtime in two years for a average team and until Doncic  plays an actual nba game and proves his talent  he is not better than anyone.

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2018, 02:45:32 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
It's way too early to say that Sexton is a career backup. I've only watched a little of his highlights from 'Bama and this summer league, but he has impressed me. I think he has a good handle and appears to be a poised floor general.

I'm less confident about Doncic. I still have no idea how his athleticism will translate to the NBA.

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2018, 04:21:27 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Apples and oranges....
Theis was a guy playing in German league without impressing anyone while Doncic  lead real Madrid to Spanish and euroleague titles.

But yeah... Bender received unreal hype for a player who didn't say any real playtime in two years for a average team and until Doncic  plays an actual nba game and proves his talent  he is not better than anyone.

Theis was defensive player of the year in Germany.

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 04:22:36 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
I think Doncic ends up being the second best player in this draft.

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Wendell Carter is looking amazing in summer league. Cav fans will be tormented for decades when sexton becomes Jarrett jack 2.0 and Carter is  horford

So agree.  I wanted Carter so [dang] bad and would have loved him if we had gotten the laker pick.  He was the perfect addition to this team.

Yep, for months I was the conductor of the “trade Rozier, Sac pick, etc to grab Carter Jr” train.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2018, 04:42:06 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
The article says:

" at the cost of their No. 8 pick, matching salary necessary to absorb Kent Bazemore’s bloated contract,  and perhaps another asset."

It all depends on what that vaguely phrased "other asset" was.

Anyway, I assume lots of teams were making offers and the Hawks were willing to sell at a relatively low price. The Cavs were just unlucky (regardless of whom they would have drafted , it's rare that a nr 3 pick gets traded for a bargain price).

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2018, 04:49:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A
pples and oranges....

Hype is hype until backed up on the NBA court with play.

That was my point exactly.

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2018, 08:34:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The article says:

" at the cost of their No. 8 pick, matching salary necessary to absorb Kent Bazemore’s bloated contract,  and perhaps another asset."

It all depends on what that vaguely phrased "other asset" was.

Anyway, I assume lots of teams were making offers and the Hawks were willing to sell at a relatively low price. The Cavs were just unlucky (regardless of whom they would have drafted , it's rare that a nr 3 pick gets traded for a bargain price).
Unless the Hawks were taking on Smith, Thompson, Hill, or Clarkson it would have been very hard to match salaries without including Love or basically all of the Cavs young guys (Nance, Osman, Zizic).  That is why it is hard to put stock in these things as without knowing what the Hawks were asking for you have no real way to determine if not taking the trade was a good idea.  I don't think I would have traded Love and 8 for Bazemore and 3, as an example.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2018, 08:49:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think Doncic ends up being the second best player in this draft.
Agreed. He will have a better career than Trae Young.

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 03:13:37 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Apples and oranges....

Theis was defensive player of the year in Germany.

So what?  Who told you that the german league is strong enough so awards like this one really mean anything?