Author Topic: Did Cavs blow it turning down Doncic?  (Read 5640 times)

Re: Did Cavs blow it turning down Doncic?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2018, 06:40:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Until Doncic plays NBA minutes it is too soon to judge.   I recall the same people telling me Dragan Bender was going to be a force in the league and Darko.

I think Doncic is different, though, but the Eurohype here is sickening.   How is it none of these experts were high on Theis who can play quite well?

Apples and oranges....
Theis was a guy playing in German league without impressing anyone while Doncic  lead real Madrid to Spanish and euroleague titles.

But yeah... Bender received unreal hype for a player who didn't say any real playtime in two years for a average team and until Doncic  plays an actual nba game and proves his talent  he is not better than anyone.

Theis was defensive player of the year in Germany.

So what?  Who told you that the german league is strong enough so awards like this one really mean anything?
Yeah, whereas Luka Doncic was arguably the best player not on American soil at the age of 18-19. Not comparable whatsoever
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2018, 07:09:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yeah, whereas Luka Doncic was arguably the best player not on American soil at the age of 18-19. Not comparable whatsoever

We are finally going to get to see him prove it.   We all know a lot of Euros can play.   But some here act like the leagues over there are indicative that they will be guaranteed success.  It does not our amateur college players beat these guys for years.   Some college teams still goes overseas for games and do quite well and these are not the Olympic level teams

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/8/18/6030717/college-basketball-teams-overseas-kentucky-michigan

That being said, they have produced quite a few good players and we all know international basketball has made long strides.

But when we see him play in the NBA we will see what he is made of, is he a good enough athlete, can he get his shot off against elite athletes with length.   It is the top league, I think he will do ok, but I am not sold he is a lock as a star until he shows me he can.

Tons of college players fail in the NBA, the same is true for Euros.  This anoitment before he plays is silly.

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2018, 08:26:07 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I saw rumours that Atlanta wants to move Shroeder. If true, Hawks are betting the house on Trae Young.

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I saw rumours that Atlanta wants to move Shroeder. If true, Hawks are betting the house on Trae Young.
will likely get traded for Melo in the next day or say.  Hawks would then waive Melo.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2018, 10:23:08 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

We are finally going to get to see him prove it.   We all know a lot of Euros can play.   But some here act like the leagues over there are indicative that they will be guaranteed success.  It does not our amateur college players beat these guys for years.   Some college teams still goes overseas for games and do quite well and these are not the Olympic level teams

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/8/18/6030717/college-basketball-teams-overseas-kentucky-michigan

That being said, they have produced quite a few good players and we all know international basketball has made long strides.

But when we see him play in the NBA we will see what he is made of, is he a good enough athlete, can he get his shot off against elite athletes with length.   It is the top league, I think he will do ok, but I am not sold he is a lock as a star until he shows me he can.

Tons of college players fail in the NBA, the same is true for Euros.  This anoitment before he plays is silly.
wait a minute! are you actually asking that we posters on CB wait and see a player prior to pronouncing a final and definitive statement on a 19 year old player? you must be new here.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva