Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120105 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]
« Reply #1035 on: July 19, 2018, 12:45:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Who knows, maybe Danny has a vision of keeping Smart, Irving AND Rozier during our contending years.  Many of us thought Smart would only come back on the QO, and we were wrong.
I think Danny will shop Rozier hard this season once we've seen Kyrie play and be healthy.

He probably won't move him in the end, but he'll shop him hard. (similar to Marcus this season) Then we'll let him walk if Kyrie leaves in FA and he signs a big offer sheet or match his offer sheet (or extend our own) if Kyrie leaves.

I don’t expect much shopping of Rozier, not without a huge asking price. 
Oh I expect Danny's ask to be huge, and for nothing to get done. But he'll be kicking the tires and Rozier and Picks are really the only things that seem movable at this point. Tatum/Brown seem untouchable, Kryie is expiring and they want to contend, same with Al.

I guess Hayward/Smart could also be talked about mid season....

I think by mid season people here will stop suggesting Hayward when they see how well he works with this team.

*Flash forward to January when Hayward misses an open 3 late in a meaningless road loss and the entire latest topics is trade proposals*

« Reply #1036 on: July 19, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Who knows, maybe Danny has a vision of keeping Smart, Irving AND Rozier during our contending years.  Many of us thought Smart would only come back on the QO, and we were wrong.
I think Danny will shop Rozier hard this season once we've seen Kyrie play and be healthy.

He probably won't move him in the end, but he'll shop him hard. (similar to Marcus this season) Then we'll let him walk if Kyrie leaves in FA and he signs a big offer sheet or match his offer sheet (or extend our own) if Kyrie leaves.

I don’t expect much shopping of Rozier, not without a huge asking price. 
Oh I expect Danny's ask to be huge, and for nothing to get done. But he'll be kicking the tires and Rozier and Picks are really the only things that seem movable at this point. Tatum/Brown seem untouchable, Kryie is expiring and they want to contend, same with Al.

I guess Hayward/Smart could also be talked about mid season....

I think by mid season people here will stop suggesting Hayward when they see how well he works with this team.

*Flash forward to January when Hayward misses an open 3 late in a meaningless road loss and the entire latest topics is trade proposals*

Haha, TP.

« Reply #1037 on: July 19, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
4/52 is more than I wanted to go for Smart, I was pretty set on no more than 4/48 for most of the seaosn and dropped that further after seeing how restrictive the market is. Honestly it seems like he wasnt willing to sign really for anything less than this, so if you wanted Marcus long term I guess this is what it takes. My big takeaway is this, if it doesn't hurt your ability to bring back the core five guys then its great. Its an overpay but its not my money and Marcus Smart makes us better. If a year or two form now we start hearing about how the Celtics dont wnat to pay the tax and have to attach a pick too move this it becomes very bad. Given the lack of interest in Smart it would not surprise me if this is a situation where the Celtcs value him more than the league, and these type of contracts can be hard to move. For example, if we wanted to include him in an AD package do the pelicans even value this as a net positive contract?

And I suspect we are gonna end up ditching Morris now.

« Reply #1038 on: July 19, 2018, 12:53:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I don’t expect much shopping of Rozier, not without a huge asking price.  He’s a cheap but high-quality reserve on a tax-level championship-caliber team.  At the same time, he’s a restricted free agent which means he offers Kyrie-protection in free agency.  The team is set up to take a real shot at a title — you don’t move Rozier if it doesn’t get you closer this year, or the future value is that substantial.
Fair enough. So you'd be willing to lose Rozier for nothing in a years' time (assuming we re-sign Kyrie)?

With Smart as our backup PG, Rozier will predominantly play as a backup SG. Problem is, both Smart and Rozier need the ball in their hands in order to be effective on offense. Obviously Smart cannot play off the ball cause he is a terrible shooter. What this means is, we 'll end up using Rozier as a weak side shooter (the way CBS was using him during last year's playoffs run). That's not his style of play. Not worth keeping him in that role (at least imo).

« Reply #1039 on: July 19, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jared Weiss: Marcus Smart’s deal is fully guaranteed for all four years with no options and will follow the standard 8% raise structure starting at around $11.6 million, a league source tells The Athletic. – via Twitter JaredWeissNBA

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1040 on: July 19, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Clearly with this contract to Marcus, Danny believes we are a contender and he wants to pay to try and have a run at a title. every contending team needs a Marcus smart like player.

Management has always stated that they have no problem paying the tax if they can win championships.

« Reply #1041 on: July 19, 2018, 01:03:36 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Well played by Danny.

Despite grumbling from the Smart camp, it was a good idea to wait out the process before putting a real offer on the table. If Danny had said right at the beginning of FA "we have a 4 year, $52 million contract on the table for Marcus," it would have given other teams incentives to make a higher offer just to mess with our cap situation if Danny matched. Alternatively, it would have been a good signal that Danny really values Marcus, and maybe induced another team to revise their opinion of him and outbid us.

By leaving everyone in the dark as to how he valued Smart, until nearly every other team had used their cap space, he basically cut the competition out of the picture.

« Reply #1042 on: July 19, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Jared Weiss: Marcus Smart’s deal is fully guaranteed for all four years with no options and will follow the standard 8% raise structure starting at around $11.6 million, a league source tells The Athletic. – via Twitter JaredWeissNBA
Was hoping for a frontloaded contract. Oh well... I guess the important thing is that he re-signed on a reasonable contract.

Thanks for the update Roy :)

« Reply #1043 on: July 19, 2018, 01:08:19 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Clearly with this contract to Marcus, Danny believes we are a contender and he wants to pay to try and have a run at a title. every contending team needs a Marcus smart like player.

Management has always stated that they have no problem paying the tax if they can win championships.

Yep. There are two reasons to celebrate. Smart is staying, first, and more importantly the front office thinks we're ready to win the title now.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #1044 on: July 19, 2018, 01:09:54 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I don’t expect much shopping of Rozier, not without a huge asking price.  He’s a cheap but high-quality reserve on a tax-level championship-caliber team.  At the same time, he’s a restricted free agent which means he offers Kyrie-protection in free agency.  The team is set up to take a real shot at a title — you don’t move Rozier if it doesn’t get you closer this year, or the future value is that substantial.
Fair enough. So you'd be willing to lose Rozier for nothing in a years' time (assuming we re-sign Kyrie)?

With Smart as our backup PG, Rozier will predominantly play as a backup SG. Problem is, both Smart and Rozier need the ball in their hands in order to be effective on offense. Obviously Smart cannot play off the ball cause he is a terrible shooter. What this means is, we 'll end up using Rozier as a weak side shooter (the way CBS was using him during last year's playoffs run). That's not his style of play. Not worth keeping him in that role (at least imo).

Yes, I would absolutely be willing to lose Rozier in a year for nothing.  Players leave in free agency at times.  It happens.  People are willing all the time here to give up draft picks for expiring contracts on other teams who could give us a boost, but at the same time seem frightful of losing our own players when they leave, when it’s really just a foregone pick instead of a traded pick for similar production.

« Reply #1045 on: July 19, 2018, 01:10:22 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Well I said all along I was hoping for a 3/39 deal for Smart.  AAV of 13m dollars.  What Smart actually signed was a 4/52, AAV of.... 13m dollars.  This gives the team extra control.  If we ever end up trading Marcus down the road and he is seen as a net positive player, the extra years of team control will be a plus.  On the other hand if he declines in skill level, then his contract will be seen as an albatross.

Believe it or not Marcus Smart is still only 24 years old.  By the end of his contract he will be 28.  The Celtics will have him for his prime years throughout the deal.  So as long as he maintains his current level, or if he miraculously develops a 3 point shot, his value will only increase, or at worse stay about the same.

I like the deal.  I wouldn't be too fussed about the luxury tax implications.  We can make space if we really need to.  But we are pretty much running it back and we are adding a healthy Kyrie Irving and healthy Gordon Hayward to a really good core!

Marcus Smart Salaries:
2018 11.6m
2019 12.5m
2020 13.5m
2021 14.6m

« Reply #1046 on: July 19, 2018, 01:13:44 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Yes, I would absolutely be willing to lose Rozier in a year for nothing.  Players leave in free agency at times.  It happens.  People are willing all the time here to give up draft picks for expiring contracts on other teams who could give us a boost, but at the same time seem frightful of losing our own players when they leave, when it’s really just a foregone pick instead of a traded pick for similar production.
We agree to disagree. Rozier can fetch us a mid first. No way I'd let him walk, especially if we plan to use him as a backup SG. The way I see it, Rozier needs the ball in his hands in order to be effective on offense. He won't be the same player he was during the 2018 playoffs next year.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:26:43 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #1047 on: July 19, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Remember when we were down late at home to Houston and Marcus Smart spontaneously powered up to unleash a Spirit Dime followed by not one but two Omega Flops?  Good times.  Now we get to see a whole lot more of that through 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=difg1ERWZfU

Only in basketball can the last 18 seconds of a game, and with the commercials cut out, still take over six minutes.

Mike

« Reply #1048 on: July 19, 2018, 01:30:51 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
not looking good for Rozier

« Reply #1049 on: July 19, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
not looking good for Rozier

Depends what you mean.  Rozier will have a better chance of getting a big deal for himself next summer.  If he’s a Celtic all season, either Kyrie leaves and Rozier gets paid by Boston, or Kyrie stays and teams aren’t afraid Boston will match an offer sheet because of payroll reasons.  Or maybe he gets traded this offseason to a team willing to extend him (not what I’d do, but certainly possible).