Author Topic: No-one is out bidding us for Leonard...but do we want him?  (Read 10089 times)

Re: No-one is out bidding us for Leonard...but do we want him?
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Hayward and Kawhi is basically a wash , one is better team defender and point forward and team player, one better individual lock down defender with selfish mentality, both are injured but one's situiation is clear than another

I don't see why we need to go for him
Assuming they are both healthy, Leonard is a significantly better player than Hayward.  It isn't close.
Not true

Hayward is excellent, but healthy Kawhi is DPOY and MVP level. That's a step up. It's not even clear Hayward was better on offense last year, and no amount of team defense equals the best perimeter defender in the league.
Kawhi wins DPOY and FMVP only because under Pop's spurs system, Hayward is most likely be the same level player if he plays for Pop

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2018, 02:53:42 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Hayward and Kawhi is basically a wash , one is better team defender and point forward and team player, one better individual lock down defender with selfish mentality, both are injured but one's situiation is clear than another

Assuming they are both healthy, Leonard is a significantly better player than Hayward.  It isn't close.

Okay, and guess what?

One cost cap space, and the other one will cost cap space+assets+draft picks, and honestly Kawhi seems like he's more than meets the eye...
what does that have to do with anything?

Because playdream is comparing the both. We all know Leonard is a better player, that's clearly obvious... But in terms of what it would cost to bring Leonard over is what I meant.
Apparently playdream doesn't know that.
Because that is not true, Kawhi is one of the most overrated player in the league(still top player though), pumped hugely by Pop's system.

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Not true

Hayward is excellent, but healthy Kawhi is DPOY and MVP level. That's a step up. It's not even clear Hayward was better on offense last year, and no amount of team defense equals the best perimeter defender in the league.
Kawhi wins DPOY and FMVP only because under Pop's spurs system, Hayward is most likely be the same level player if he plays for Pop
Ummmmm....no. Kawhi is a better defender by far because he has excellent decensive instincts and off the charts athleticism that Hayward doesn't have. Kawhi is also a more efficient scorer. That makes Kawhi a much better player and it has nothing to do with Pop's system.

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2018, 11:51:52 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Guys you are forgetting that we have something that all the teams in the league would want to have, in Tatum and Brown, so I just don't see why in the world would we get rid of any of them, no matter which player is on the other side. They are improving so fast that next year, this same team will be like 20%-30% stronger.

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2018, 12:37:34 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I think we really missed out on trading for Kawhi, given reports that Brown was not included in any trade possibility he could have been the clincher and in the process majorly weakening a rival that would have thrown in the towel and gone into full rebuild mode.

IMO Jaylen has no excuse for how bad he has started this season (36 FG% 27.7 FG3% 62.1 FT%) is Per has almost halved and his efficiency has dropped by 10%.

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2018, 12:46:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think we really missed out on trading for Kawhi, given reports that Brown was not included in any trade possibility he could have been the clincher and in the process majorly weakening a rival that would have thrown in the towel and gone into full rebuild mode.

IMO Jaylen has no excuse for how bad he has started this season (36 FG% 27.7 FG3% 62.1 FT%) is Per has almost halved and his efficiency has dropped by 10%.
Blegh. Especially true when Rozier likely would’ve been part of it too.

Dang it
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2018, 10:41:28 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

It was a huge risk and besides it’s not like Jaylen can’t bounce back. Ssseeeshh guys early in the season and you already given up on the young players?  ::)

« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2018, 12:39:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

It was a huge risk and besides it’s not like Jaylen can’t bounce back. Ssseeeshh guys early in the season and you already given up on the young players?  ::)
I don't think anyone has given up on Jaylen. However, he's taken a step backwards this year, and given how good Kawhi looks and the fact that no team looks invulnerable, having Kawhi would have given us a higher chance at a banner
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 01:33:50 AM by gouki88 »

« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2018, 01:02:15 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

I don't think anyone hasn't given up on Jaylen. He's taken a step backwards this year, and given how good Kawhi looks and the fact that no team looks invulnerable, having Kawhi would have given us a higher chance at a banner

I haven’t given up on Jaylen or Jayson. Most fans haven’t given up IMO.

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2018, 01:33:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I don't think anyone hasn't given up on Jaylen. He's taken a step backwards this year, and given how good Kawhi looks and the fact that no team looks invulnerable, having Kawhi would have given us a higher chance at a banner

I haven’t given up on Jaylen or Jayson. Most fans haven’t given up IMO.
Whoops, I meant to say I don’t think anyone has given up on him, lol.

« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2018, 03:38:01 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

IMO Jaylen has no excuse for how bad he has started this season (36 FG% 27.7 FG3% 62.1 FT%) his Per as has almost halved and his efficiency has dropped by 10%.
If Brown plays the next 14 games and he produces at the same rate as last year in 12 of them, then he interspersed two  games where he went 10-12 from the line, 10-14 from deep and 24-28 over those two games, his shooting line would be: 44.6%/37.9%/69.7% bringing his PPG upto 14.5.

His stats would start looking like last year's stats and he could grow from that. That's all it would take to make Jaylen whole again, have two games out of the next 14 games like the stats below while playing his averages from  last year for the other 12 games

12-14 from the floor
5-7 from deep
5-6 from the line

Two monster games, no doubt. But I think he would be capable of doing that over the next 14 games.

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2018, 03:55:37 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
The start of this season has been disappointing and the two Jays have been as well, but they are only 20 and 22 years old.  I really think we should look long term and hold onto both players.  We are going to be a very good team for a very long time.

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

IMO Jaylen has no excuse for how bad he has started this season (36 FG% 27.7 FG3% 62.1 FT%) his Per as has almost halved and his efficiency has dropped by 10%.
If Brown plays the next 14 games and he produces at the same rate as last year in 12 of them, then he interspersed two  games where he went 10-12 from the line, 10-14 from deep and 24-28 over those two games, his shooting line would be: 44.6%/37.9%/69.7% bringing his PPG upto 14.5.

His stats would start looking like last year's stats and he could grow from that. That's all it would take to make Jaylen whole again, have two games out of the next 14 games like the stats below while playing his averages from  last year for the other 12 games

12-14 from the floor
5-7 from deep
5-6 from the line

Two monster games, no doubt. But I think he would be capable of doing that over the next 14 games.
he could do that 5 times over the next 14 and he still wouldn't be as good as Leonard though. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2018, 12:50:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

12-14 from the floor
5-7 from deep
5-6 from the line

he could do that 5 times over the next 14 and he still wouldn't be as good as Leonard though.
I was just pointing how easy it will be for Jaylen to get back to the same numbers he had last year since sbbf was mentioning how bad his numbers were.

And of course, he isn't as good as Leonard is now. Never said he was. Heck, there isn't one player on the Celtics that is as good as Kawhi.