Author Topic: Celtics Blog NBA2k8 Dyanasty  (Read 6308 times)

Celtics Blog NBA2k8 Dyanasty
« on: May 28, 2008, 05:30:08 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
So, after reading some of the great write ups over at out of the park baseball, and being bored out of my skull and looking to do something fun that involves writing, i've decided to random draft the Celtics and play out multiple seasons with participation from posters here at the blog. this is going to be a little hobby of mine, hopefully some people will like the read and want to participate.  :D

here's how this is going to work. I'll ask for input from the blog on most major decisions within the game world, the first option that gets 3 votes will go. so, for example, if there is a trade offer, and three separate posters say yes to it, it goes through.

I will also be doing write ups for this league, playing every third game so that the computer gets to sim two, which will hopefully even out any advantage we get from user input, (i find the nba 2k8 engine at least marginal for this purpose)

some quick ground rules

- 8 minute quarters, 9 minute sim for the computer to make up the difference in score.

- no coach development, its a cheap way to make superstars.

- 29 games a year, playoffs go 3-5-5-7. the fun of this league will be turning the rosters over at a pretty good clip, i figure a season should take a month and a half or so with these settings.

-User suggestions will obviously be key, I will post major decisions, but for trade/roster moves, i'm hoping you guys will chime in and help make the game world alive a bit.

- using real world sliders, and 5 fouls you out.

good suggestions/ participation= TP/ i'm not above bribes :D

first mock AP story to follow in a few minutes, followed by choice of first draft pick.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 06:01:13 PM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Re: Celtics Blog NBA2k8 Dyanasty
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 05:42:37 PM »

Offline blueygreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
looks good :)

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 05:46:29 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
(editors note: bear with me on this first story, its going to be out there. Had to think up someway to break up all the teams in the league but keep team history's in tact for future write ups.)

AP- NBA looks to forge new Identity in the wake of labor lock out.

When the league locked out its players last year in the wake of enormous salary hikes due to the one year lack of a salary cap stemming from the arbitrator ruling the current salary cap against the CBA, many thought that basketball would be lost for 2007/08.

How quickly things change. In the wake of last years disaster, which saw large market teams assemble pseudo-all star teams to compete against the small market teams, the owners chose the hard course of locking the players out. Due to the efforts of both parties, a comprimise has been reached.

"in the interest of fairness to both the players and the fans, what we are going to do is pay off any new contracts in full, and release all players to a common pool. we will then redraft the entire NBA player pool, with a random serpentine draft. While this will certainly prove a hardship to fan bases across the NBA, we feel it is the only way to bring basketball back. We have a new CBA in place, one both sides can agree on. To save our sport however, we must bring the salaries back down to a manageable level."

reactions from both sides were positive. Reached for comment, Lebron James, lured to the nets for a 340 million over 7 year deal, was optimistic that either the nets or cavs would redraft him. "I would love to play for either franchise, leaving Cleveland was just smart business, and the nets showed me nothing but love last season. but regardless of who gets the first pick, Lebron James is going to put his stamp on thier team"

The redraft will be held next month, a random drawing saw the first pick go to the bobcats, who have said they will not announce their pick in advance.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 05:55:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
We pick fourth, and i didn't fix it :)

Lebron, not surprisingly, went off the board first to the bobcats. CP3 is gone as well,as is TD. surprisingly a certain SG is still available, the computer taking forwards over guards early.

here are the top 3 available at each position. The first player with 3 votes will be our first pick. note that I would suggest picking out of these top players, just because we want to see a little turnover. what i mean by this is if our fourth overall pick is  big baby davis, that i'll use my veto powers on that :D

PG- Nash
    arenas
    davis

SG- Bryant
    iverson
    r.allen

SF-anthony
   t-mac
   marion

PF-KG
   dirk
   amare

C-Howard
  yao
  gasol

pick away :)

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 05:59:20 PM »

Offline BUTerrier

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 53
I'd say Howard. He's young, and his stats will only increase in the game. I like Bryant, but you're going to see his attributes drop as seasons pass. If not Howard, my next suggestions (in order) would be Amare, Anthony, and Arenas

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 06:01:59 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
I'd go with Kobe

possible dark horse of Deron Williams

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:04:19 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
kobe and howard each with one, I'm interested to see how this plays out.

and TP to both of you for taking the time to participate  :)

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:16:06 PM »

Offline celts4life

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
As a Celtics fan I'd like to say that I wouldn't pick Kobe, but for the purposes of the team I'd say he's the right guy.  Kobe it is!

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 06:19:21 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
kobe in the lead with 2, one more and he wears green...at least in bizzaro simulated world  :D

also, just so you guys know, i only plan on doing this live draft for 8, mabey 9 (and only if theres a tough choice in the 9th) of the 15 rounds. i figure that will be about all the impact players, after that i'll just pick up backups.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 06:26:33 PM »

Offline supamike46

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Howard would probably be the best long-term guy, and plus you may be able to pick up a guy like Big Al to go along with him a few rounds later.

These kind of things are always fun, but I always try to keep a bunch of the current celts on the team.  So hopefully you'll be able to get some guys like Rajon or PPierce in later rounds.

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 06:30:07 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
2 to 2, and same, i expect that to happen. it probably won't be paul, the game actually gives him a pretty high billing as a player (surprising since the media tends to think he's a second tier player, in the game he's the 4th best small forward)

the game thinks rajon is terrible though (although i turned him around in my Celtics dynasty i got bored with, all i had to do was send him to shooting camp twice, plus his own potential and he was a stud.) so i would be shocked if the posters don't pick up some current celtics in later rounds, or former Celtics (in this game, Gerald will actually have a work ethic! mine! heh)

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 07:08:02 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Take Howard. No green Mamba, please.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
you were the break cas, so it was written, so it shall be

with the first pick, the Boston Celtics select dwight howard

(writers note: thank god, i would have hated to play the games if you guys took kobe on me! :D)

in crushing news, pierce went off the board one pick before ours :( the drive and dish to howard would have been pretty sweet.

moving on to pick two, your top 3 avail be at the non-center positions:

PG: billups
    hienrich
    bibby

SG: j.johnson
    redd
    rip

SF: lewis
    butler
    odom

PF: randolph
    sheed
    okafor

(keep in mind that you guys can pick anyone, just ask and i'll see if thier still around. also, anyone who voted for the first pick can vote again of course)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:17:12 PM by crownsy »

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 07:24:08 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Wow, that was fast. OK, here we go again. Who`s available?

Deron Williams?
Brandon Roy?
Josh Smith?
Luol Deng?
Andrei Kirilenko?
Amare?
Ginobili?
Chris Bosh?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 07:34:03 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Billups or J. Johnson