Author Topic: Who is the most overrated Superstar/Franchise player right now?  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I'd go with Westbrook, to be honest. He has shown this year that he is unwilling to accommodate to his other star friends, and refuse to adhere to the best of the team. His shot selection has me dreadful. He's still one of the best point guards in the league, but just like Melo in the Denver or Knicks days, you need to build a solid system around him. He needs shooters, but he takes one of the most dumbest shots ever. The pull up 3 in transition is just not a smart shot when he's not even anywhere near league average.

My next honorable mention would've been DMC. Huge fan of both, but they have eventually wore down my infatuation for either of them.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Who is the most overrated Superstar/Franchise player right now?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 04:51:49 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Westbrook - for all the reasons you cited.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 05:16:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Lebron James? Starting to decline, handcuffs the roster and front office around him, offers no financial flexibility. Team that signs him to next contract turns into a dumpster fire with chemistry issues?

I am not sure if I really believe this, throwing it out there as food for thought.

I also think Westbrook is a fair pick. I think Cousins would be as well if he is considered at this level. Damien Lillard would be my third choice. He is a great regular season guard but can be neutralized in the playoffs. If anyone considered Blake Griffin at this level, I doubt they still do.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 05:21:58 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Right now it's either Lebron, Westbrook, or Lillard.  I don't consider Simmons to be the 76ers star, it's Embiid and he's unreal.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
Somewhere in this conversation you gotta bring up Giannis too.  He's a physical freak but he's not a particularly heady player and really isn't much of a basketball player outside of the paint (at this juncture in his career).  If he got called for all the traveling, we wouldn't even be talking about him as an all star.

And for all the MVP talk, he leads a pretty much .500 team thats only in this series because Irving is injured.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
1. Greek freak
2. Westbrook
3. Damian lilliard
4. John Wall

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 05:36:47 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Westbrook
DMC
Wall

In that order.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 05:42:15 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Westbrook - for all the reasons you cited.

Same. Dude just cannot play any kind of basketball that does not resemble a chicken running around with his head cut off, imo, lol ;D.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 05:54:47 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Does Karl Anthony-Towns count? Just too finesse, empty stats kinda guy.

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Right now it's either Lebron, Westbrook, or Lillard.  I don't consider Simmons to be the 76ers star, it's Embiid and he's unreal.

I disagree regarding Lebron — he’s still a phenomenal.   Re: Embiid and Simmons, they have potential to be 1 and 2 in the league.  With health, I expect them to be All-NBA first teasers within 5 years. A healthy Embiid makes the Sixers the team of the future IMO.

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 06:08:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Definitely Westbrook, he's a top 5 talent but he's 10-20 for me in terms of actual positive impact.

Empty calories for the most part.

I think Karl Towns is a little bit overrated as well based on his numbers and physical ability, his actual impact isn't quite in line with how good he seems to be (by the numbers he looks like the best center in the league).  I think he's a guy who seems like he should be a good defender so people don't think of him as an all-offense big who is a defensive liability, but I think that's actually closer to the truth than not.  He's not an entirely different type of player to Enes Kanter, is what I'm trying to say, albeit more talented.  And I'd rather have Nikola Jokic.

Another name I hesitate to bring up for karmic purposes is Giannis.  His numbers are kookoo bananas and I know his teammates aren't the best, but I just don't fear him the way I think a true MVP caliber superstar should be feared.  In the series with the Celts right now, the Celts are at a serious talent disadvantage but I'm just not that scared that Giannis is going to take over a game and win it no matter what the Celtics do to try to stop him. 

Guys like LeBron, Curry, Durant, Davis have those games.

Now watch he'll go out and have a game like that tonight.  :o
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 06:14:10 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I’d go with Westbrook too.  Glad he’s not a Celtic.

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Definitely Westbrook, he's a top 5 talent but he's 10-20 for me in terms of actual positive impact.

Empty calories for the most part.

I think Karl Towns is a little bit overrated as well based on his numbers and physical ability, his actual impact isn't quite in line with how good he seems to be (by the numbers he looks like the best center in the league).  I think he's a guy who seems like he should be a good defender so people don't think of him as an all-offense big who is a defensive liability, but I think that's actually closer to the truth than not.  He's not an entirely different type of player to Enes Kanter, is what I'm trying to say, albeit more talented.  And I'd rather have Nikola Jokic.

Another name I hesitate to bring up for karmic purposes is Giannis.  His numbers are kookoo bananas and I know his teammates aren't the best, but I just don't fear him the way I think a true MVP caliber superstar should be feared.  In the series with the Celts right now, the Celts are at a serious talent disadvantage but I'm just not that scared that Giannis is going to take over a game and win it no matter what the Celtics do to try to stop him. 

Guys like LeBron, Curry, Durant, Davis have those games.

Now watch he'll go out and have a game like that tonight.  :o

We'll know whom to blame. ;)

I agree, though—Giannis is very talented, but he doesn't seem to be a "take over the game" kind of player.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Giannis can take over parts of a game but yeah as of now he has yet to control the entire game. As good as he is he's benefiting from the C's injuries right now. Just the truth of the matter.

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 06:52:58 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Westbrook
DMC
Wall

In that order.
About right.

I’m pretty surprised about the LeBron votes. He looks better than ever to me.

Lillard should not be in the conversation, not a superstar.