Author Topic: Josh Smith is so talented...  (Read 5633 times)

Josh Smith is so talented...
« on: April 29, 2013, 10:10:06 PM »

Offline Django

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
Its such a shame he has such a low BBIQ or is it that he's just doesnt care?

Idk. But dude should be a 20/9/5/2 kind of player. However, he just doesnt improve...

I still think if he was around KG/Pierce/Rondo for the last few years he would have "grown up"

Probably the most talented player that's played almost 10 years without an all star game in the league. All because of his actions on/off? the court.

Re: Josh Smith is so talented...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 10:15:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I'm sure he will get an All-Star appearance sometime soon. He has been right on the cusp for a few years now.

I would have loved to have seen what a top notch coach could have done with Josh Smith earlier in his career. I think they really could have helped him reach another level in his career. Might be too late now.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 10:17:51 PM »

Offline Django

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
I'm sure he will get an All-Star appearance sometime soon. He has been right on the cusp for a few years now.

I would have loved to have seen what a top notch coach could have done with Josh Smith earlier in his career. I think they really could have helped him reach another level in his career. Might be too late now.

Yea I think you had to "reach" Josh when he was 23 or 24. At 27....he's probably too far gone. too bad.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 11:22:27 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
I'm not completely sold on Josh Smith yet.
But I agree, he is one helluva talented guy.

Maybe its his surroundings?
Atlanta (although a constant playoff team) is not that great of an organization.
They didn't have a lot of good vets when Josh Smith got drafted into the team.

So it could be just a case of his situation and people around him.

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 08:52:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550
There isn't much difference between 20/9/5/2 and the 17.5/8.5/4.1/1.8/1.2 that Smith went for this year in just over 35 minutes a game.  A couple of more minutes a game and he is right where you want him to be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 09:24:41 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
There isn't much difference between 20/9/5/2 and the 17.5/8.5/4.1/1.8/1.2 that Smith went for this year in just over 35 minutes a game.  A couple of more minutes a game and he is right where you want him to be.

Plus better shots.

I still believe he's a much more efficient player playing with Rondo.  He has never had that caliber of PG playing with him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 09:39:18 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
He's a free agent, right?  Any possible way we can sign him if the asking price is right?

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I'm not so sure Mike Woodson isn't pretty close to a top notch coach.  He has certainly looked like one over the last year and a half.

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 10:05:14 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 177
Yawn...I'm not infatuated with any of the hawks talent like other Celtics fans seem to be

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

I'm not so sure Mike Woodson isn't pretty close to a top notch coach.  He has certainly looked like one over the last year and a half.

I think he's definitely a good one, not sure how good he is at developing players though.

More than a coach, the best change for Smith would be playing on a team that moves the ball well and has an elite PG.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I think he's definitely a good one, not sure how good he is at developing players though.

More than a coach, the best change for Smith would be playing on a team that moves the ball well and has an elite PG.

True.  And he is much more of a defensive coach than offensive...and Smith's problems have been on offense.  He is a terrific defensive player.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:36 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
at oak hill academy, rondo was considered the mvp of the team, not josh smith.

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

I think Woodson is a middle of the pack coach.

I also think that any defensive minded coach replacing Mike D'Antoni would have improved the Knicks by leaps and bounds.

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Yea I think you had to "reach" Josh when he was 23 or 24. At 27....he's probably too far gone. too bad.

I think it is possible he might be reachable when he is 30 or older and has discovered that a change of scenery doesn't fix thingsd.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 10:17:14 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I think Woodson is a middle of the pack coach.

I also think that any defensive minded coach replacing Mike D'Antoni would have improved the Knicks by leaps and bounds.

so question:

What kind of coach do you think Phil Jackson was? A coach who just rides on the talents of his players? Like he always have great players to work with