Author Topic: 2009 CB Draft - Best picks by Round  (Read 3920 times)

2009 CB Draft - Best picks by Round
« on: August 05, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
That was great drafting.

Did someone say "Great Drafting?"

Because the draft won't start in earnest for another TEN DAYS (and in an effort to avoid thinking about Shaquille O'Neal in green...) I'm going to see if this new CB draft tradition sticks.

Round 1

Best Pick: Tie - bdm860 (20) Paul Pierce and johnnyrondo (22) Pau Gasol. Given the Celtics and Lakers push to the Finals, hard to argue that stalwarts Paul & Pau didn't out perform their draft positions. Will be interesting to see if either goes higher in 2010.

Wort Pick: Tradetime (23) Caron Butler. Serious injuries set back too many promising young players. But on court, Tough Juice disappointed most. He played and complained his way into a salary dump, then disappeared in Dallas and had to be pulled from the starting five in the midst of a first round loss.

Dishonorable Mention: crownsy (30) Michael Beasley and ChampKind (29) Devin Harris Long odds don't always pay off.

Comments from the peanut gallery welcome.

Re: 2009 CB Draft - Best picks by Round
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:48:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Might be best to leave this alone until after the draft.

You don't want to highlight all the player's who you think offer the best value in each round. Too much carryover from one year to the next.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I say more analysis. I think it's a fun way to kill some time before the draft and one man's opinion isn't going to swing the draft boards or create any steals/fallers during the draft. I don't see the harm in it, and I look forward to more analysis of the draft's worst picks. This is a pretty knowledgable bunch, and I think they are going to know for the most part whose value is rising and whose is falling regardless of your writeup, WW.

Worst case scenario, it gives some of the newer guys a better idea out of what to expect from the game, which will probably be pretty helpful for them.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think this is the wrong time for this thread. The time to evaluate best picks of last years draft would be either after the voting or at the midpoint when we revisit everyone's teams.

Right now this thread is basically asking for analysis of players in public, which really is what GMs should be doing for their own teams.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:49:19 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
I think this is the wrong time for this thread. The time to evaluate best picks of last years draft would be either after the voting or at the midpoint when we revisit everyone's teams.

Right now this thread is basically asking for analysis of players in public, which really is what GMs should be doing for their own teams.

I don't know, that suggests that GMs aren't smart enough to know who the good and bad players were from last year. The results are up and public knowledge for anyone to see, so it's not like WW is leaking anything, just offering opinion, and I'm pretty sure that everyone will have a pretty good idea of what's coming anyway - we all know that Stephen Jackson turned out well and Tyson Chandler did not, for example. 

Plus, we've got 10 days to kill, I don't see the harm in it, so if WW doesn't want to keep it up I can throw some quick hits out there.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
. . .  I don't see the harm in it, so if WW doesn't want to keep it up I can throw some quick hits out there.

I think the Commish has issued his ruling on this thread.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 10:57:42 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
. . .  I don't see the harm in it, so if WW doesn't want to keep it up I can throw some quick hits out there.

I do think its a good idea though for later.

I'm going to add this as a category we vote and give awards on.

So we'd have Regular Season, Playoffs, Team of the Future, and Best and Worst Draft picks. Though voting for each round would be a bit much. Probably just take nominations, add some commish picks, and then have a poll.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen

I do think its a good idea though for later.

I'm going to add this as a category we vote and give awards on.

So we'd have Regular Season, Playoffs, Team of the Future, and Best and Worst Draft picks. Though voting for each round would be a bit much. Probably just take nominations, add some commish picks, and then have a poll.

I think doing it immediately after the draft doesn't have as much impact, and there is a lot of categories to cover there. I think having the year of space creates a better indicator for what picks hit and which missed, especially in the cases of injuries and rookies. It's a fine retrospect on a fun event. Additionally, if we push this off until later we'll run into the "no one cares" zone, since the CB Draft is really only relavent in the month which it takes place - and saying that we'll revisit it later is a nice sentiment, though it never happens. If you guys really do want to proceed with this, it's unlikely that it would happen after the draft.

Besides, I think it's a great way to introduce outsiders into the mechanics of the game and bring people together to reflect on last year's game and hopefully avoid the same mistakes. A rising tide boosts all ships, remember?

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 11:25:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I like the idea of making it an award and a boobie prize, and then revisiting. (even if you think it won't happen)

I don't like having people do player value analysis out in public. As Who said, there is a lot of carryover from year to year. So like I said this thread is best done after the draft at some point.

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 11:38:51 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
I like the idea of making it an award and a boobie prize, and then revisiting. (even if you think it won't happen)

I don't like having people do player value analysis out in public. As Who said, there is a lot of carryover from year to year. So like I said this thread is best done after the draft at some point.

Alright, I'll send out some PMs to GMs who are interested so its not in the public eye per your request. If you get around to this after the draft you will have proved me wrong, and I'll be impressed, but I think you're underestimating how taxing the draft gets and how much the level of interest drops after owners teams are eliminated.

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 12:21:03 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
This was just a lark that started last season in the run up to the draft when it was split off from the main thread.

And even if I'm not willing to take the blame (credit?) for inflating 2008 Round 7 honorable mention Chris Duhon's draft stock in '09 (It came with a disclaimer!), I'm happy to leave well enough alone.

It leaves me more time for trade proposals.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 12:24:30 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Alright, I'll send out some PMs to GMs who are interested so its not in the public eye per your request. If you get around to this after the draft you will have proved me wrong, and I'll be impressed, but I think you're underestimating how taxing the draft gets and how much the level of interest drops after owners teams are eliminated.

Some of these things (superlatives, team of the future) could be voted on after the draft, but before the voting.  That might keep everyone more engaged.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions