Author Topic: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question  (Read 16279 times)

Re: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2019, 01:37:59 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Great idea for a thread Roy!  I may not post much but I have been around the forums for over a decade and as a displaced Celtics fan I get most of my Celtics insight from the people on this site. 

I was not able to finish college and moved around a bit.  Eventually I started waiting tables and bartending because I could make some decent money and not break my back.  That lead to working in nicer restaurants, learning more and getting into the wine side of things.  Eventually I became a Certified Sommelier and now am in my second stint managing a Forbes 5-Star/AAA 5-Diamond restaurant.  We are not saving lives but there are only 25 restaurants in the world that are both 5-star/5-diamond and I am proud of what we do.  I have been lucky that I work with so many talented people and that life has worked out as it has.  It certainly was not something that I planned but I like how things shook out.  In addition to being a Somm I am a Certified Beer Server, a former elected official and on a lark an ordained minister.

More importantly I have an amazing 2nd wife and 4 pretty special kids:  a 22 year old son and 18 year old twin daughters from my first marriage and a 6 year old daughter from my second wife who keeps me on my toes.  All are Celtics fans, though not quite the sports fanatics that I am.  I also have a 9 year old boxer named Rondo (her brother's name was Brutus as my wife is a proud Ohio State Alum).

You make me feel like Sam N Ella’s should’ve beaten the Stagger Inn

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2019, 01:50:02 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
Great idea for a thread Roy!  I may not post much but I have been around the forums for over a decade and as a displaced Celtics fan I get most of my Celtics insight from the people on this site. 

I was not able to finish college and moved around a bit.  Eventually I started waiting tables and bartending because I could make some decent money and not break my back.  That lead to working in nicer restaurants, learning more and getting into the wine side of things.  Eventually I became a Certified Sommelier and now am in my second stint managing a Forbes 5-Star/AAA 5-Diamond restaurant.  We are not saving lives but there are only 25 restaurants in the world that are both 5-star/5-diamond and I am proud of what we do.  I have been lucky that I work with so many talented people and that life has worked out as it has.  It certainly was not something that I planned but I like how things shook out.  In addition to being a Somm I am a Certified Beer Server, a former elected official and on a lark an ordained minister.

More importantly I have an amazing 2nd wife and 4 pretty special kids:  a 22 year old son and 18 year old twin daughters from my first marriage and a 6 year old daughter from my second wife who keeps me on my toes.  All are Celtics fans, though not quite the sports fanatics that I am.  I also have a 9 year old boxer named Rondo (her brother's name was Brutus as my wife is a proud Ohio State Alum).

You make me feel like Sam N Ella’s should’ve beaten the Stagger Inn
That was one hell of a draft!  For the record, I thought you and I had two of the better names.  Also, whatever happened to Edgar?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:00:30 AM by chicagoceltic »
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2019, 01:54:55 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Human rights Lawyer, living in authoritarian country.

No kids. Ive never had the faintest impulse to have children. I always feel like (good) parents always look at me like there is something wrong with me, or I'm fundamentally selfish. So I'm curious to know what the CStrong parents think of people like me? P.S feel free to say there is something wrong with me  ;D

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2019, 01:56:35 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton

Whoa, really awesome life story right there! TP!
^this. It sounds amazing!
Thank you both.  I have rolled with the punches quite a bit but overall am pretty happy with where I landed.  I work with some dang good people who take pride in what they do.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2019, 01:59:30 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton

No kids. Ive never had the faintest impulse to have children. I always feel like (good) parents always look at me like there is something wrong with me, or I'm fundamentally selfish. So I'm curious to know what the CStrong parents think of people like me? P.S feel free to say there is something wrong with me  ;D
There is absolutely nothing wrong with you.  Being a parent means the world to me but it is not for everyone.  Different strokes and all that.

Human rights lawyer living in an authoritarian county...sounds like a difficult but rewarding gig.  Props to you.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 02:14:50 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I don't think there is, there's nothing wrong with not wanting children, it's the same as not wanting a significant other imo (which I don't condemn at all). And you work in an authoritarian country? How's life there?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:21:10 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 05:51:47 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't have a six figure job yet but I have a modest life currently. I had 4 different jobs all as supervisor/lead positions. Have a background in electronics, chemistry and sold a few short stories on the side. My jobs have been diverse.

My question is who volunteers still?

In my younger days I was into the progress of education so I helped with fundraising for a few state school programs. I helped with computers in the classrooms and better resources for challenged students. I met good people and was glad to see a lot of programs make it to most cities within the state.

I still make sure to volunteer for a few causes but nothing on such a large scale due to time. Everything is in the local community now but I feel seeing who you help in person is a little more palpable.

Interesting. What kinds of short stories?

Scifi, Horror and fantasy. Tried my hand at mystery as well but most my stories were pretty cliche and fairly predictable. Was happy to make what I did in the 90s. Using the Web to post samples and sell rights felt like a big thing back then. Reddit today would put my work to shame and on top of that people post stories daily just for clicks. Glad I didn't try to make a career of it.

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 01:57:29 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I signed up for this blog back in 2007; it was my senior year at Salve Regina University and I was basically hanging around the library, bored out of my mind, so I messed around on a computer for a bit and stumbled across this place. I really don't post a whole lot, but I do enjoy reading everyone's NBA/Celtics insights and various other threads.

I eventually obtained a master's degree and worked in pathology for a few years before I just wasn't feeling it anymore. I had a couple odd jobs in between, but then found my place of sorts at my local Rhode Island Parks & Recreation Dept., a job one doesn't need higher education to perform, but it provides good benefits, and I am in a bargaining unit. I recently obtained my class B commercial driver license, too, which my department required in the last few years. As odd as it may sound, it's the happiest I've ever been. Is that abnormal???

I became engaged about a 8 months ago; my fiancé is a title/real estate attorney at a local firm and clerked for the Rhode Island Supreme Court last year (thanks for your help, csfansince60s, when she had some questions about writing samples to submit). Things are good on our end. It's nice to see life, with respect in trying to build something with someone, coming together.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:03:57 PM by PaulPierce34G »

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2019, 03:57:32 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

that doesnt narrow down the list of countries very much does it?  ;D

in any case, thank you for your good work. i have a number of colleagues who do similar work and it makes a difference in many lives.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2019, 05:31:29 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I got a college degree and proceeded to spend the next years in a sequence of jobs - shipped paint brushes, managed a gas station/tire store, managed a sub shop, then took night courses in accounting -- then worked as a reimbursement analyst for a nursing home company.  After 3 years in that position I'd had enough exploration.  It was mid-80's and I decided to go back to school for social work -- I decided that I wanted to work in schools with children. I started doing so in internships and continued after my MSW. Then, after 15 in public schools including 5 as a special ed administrator (also supplementing income as psychotherapist) I decided to go for self-employment and became a consultant. And for the last 20 years I've been an education and social-emotional-behavioral consultant in schools -- sometimes doing school-wide systems consultation/coaching, sometimes programmatic consultations, and sometimes individual student consultations.  I also do frequent staff and conference presentations for teachers, counselors, administrators, etc.

I think I've been pretty lucky to have found what I think is the right match for me.  I've made a decent living -- not much saved (actually a little frightening as I am 61), but I have a 30-year marriage and we've lived comfortably and been able to send our 2 daughters (29 and 24) to colleges of their choice. 

Re: Celtics -- my wife is a complete and utter non-fan of any sports (an occasional Olympic competition catches her eye, but nothing else) and my daughters have taken after her in that regard.  I've been a failure as a Celtics-Dad.  But they know that I love my C's and Pats -- and since the kids are older and on their own, I get to watch Pats most Sundays and my wife knows the look on my face when I'm with her and there is a C's game on...  Maybe I'll have some influence on grandkids if I ever have any.

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2019, 06:15:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Nope .... i love peace and quiet myself

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Dang, everyone on here with these cool jobs and quite a few are parents  :o

Meanwhile, I'm currently a college student lol. 4th year, though where I'm at I am on a 5-year track (with 2 semesters mixed in where I do an internship and take no classes). Hoping to go into the field of healthcare/medicine and am planning to go to graduate school later on, though of course we'll see how that goes seeing how competitive these things are (dear god it's almost time to think about it and apply for it  :-\ )

I've worked at a few hospitals and medical centers around Boston and volunteer in some places too. Currently in classes, and plan on working somewhere during my next semester + summer though I don't know where exactly yet (still going through the applications/interview process).

Things have definitely gotten busy for me lately. Even busier than before.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2019, 11:42:00 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I'm the director of 2nd grade basketball in the town I currently live, with an almost 8 year old boy that loves the Celtics almost as much as Fortnite.

Also, I'm pretty punk rock, though you couldn't tell by looking at me. I didn't sell out, I bought in. Remember that.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2019, 11:44:35 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

I don't think there is, there's nothing wrong with not wanting children, it's the same as not wanting a significant other imo (which I don't condemn at all). And you work in an authoritarian country? How's life there?

Life is sometimes difficult, but generally interesting. It's often weird being an outsider, but I get paid far more than one needs to survive - it's amazing how money can paper over other issues - and there is always a certain level of reverence, or maybe fascination towards strange white people who choose to live here. People don't understand why I "don't just want to work and make more money in your own country". There's a weird disconnect which is inescapable, and lurks everywhere.. I'm certainly not trying to compare myself to Latinx immigrants, but I kinda have a sense of the edges of feeling overwhelmed by a place where you are never really fully accepted.

Second language immersion is fun. South East Asia is overall a great place to be. Food is amazing.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2019, 02:53:48 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Life is sometimes difficult, but generally interesting. It's often weird being an outsider, but I get paid far more than one needs to survive - it's amazing how money can paper over other issues - and there is always a certain level of reverence, or maybe fascination towards strange white people who choose to live here. People don't understand why I "don't just want to work and make more money in your own country". There's a weird disconnect which is inescapable, and lurks everywhere.. I'm certainly not trying to compare myself to Latinx immigrants, but I kinda have a sense of the edges of feeling overwhelmed by a place where you are never really fully accepted.

Second language immersion is fun. South East Asia is overall a great place to be. Food is amazing.
Southeast Asia is a great place to live in, I definitely agree with your opinion on their food! And I understand how you feel-the way they treat foreigners is similar to that of traditional Chinese communities. And that weird disconnect will always be there no matter which foreign country you settle in, it's just a price you pay for leaving the place you grew up in I guess.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA