Author Topic: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question  (Read 16275 times)

Re: Ask A CelticsStronger A Question
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 09:17:26 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm a clinical liason for a physical therapy company. Primarily, I help coordinate pre and post surgical physical therapy for patients - which involves scheduling, handling the insurance and billing, and keeping all parties briefed on progress/setbacks/etc. when we deal with collegiate and pro athletes.

It's far more tedious than it sounds.

my wife is a PT .

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 09:22:35 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I don't have a six figure job yet but I have a modest life currently. I had 4 different jobs all as supervisor/lead positions. Have a background in electronics, chemistry and sold a few short stories on the side. My jobs have been diverse.

My question is who volunteers still?

In my younger days I was into the progress of education so I helped with fundraising for a few state school programs. I helped with computers in the classrooms and better resources for challenged students. I met good people and was glad to see a lot of programs make it to most cities within the state.

I still make sure to volunteer for a few causes but nothing on such a large scale due to time. Everything is in the local community now but I feel seeing who you help in person is a little more palpable.

Interesting. What kinds of short stories?

Neat idea, Roy. TP.

I'd like to know what everyone else does/did for a living. I always find it interesting to know what line of work others on here are/were in and see how far the common love of Celtics basketball permeates different careers and occupations.

I'll start - I'm a clinical ethicist and professor, and I direct a postdoctoral fellowship in clinical ethics. As a clinical ethicist I help resolve ethical issues that arise during healthcare, including issues such as: disagreement about the appropriateness of withholding/withdrawing life-sustaining treatment at the end of life, assisting with medical decision-making for patients who can't make medical decisions for themselves, HIV disclosures to third parties, pain medication management (family refusing pain medication for a patient in pain, a patient demonstrating drug-seeking behavior and requesting opiates, etc.), among many other things.

What do others on here do?
Potter, I may be wrong here but I believe you’ve mentioned in the past that you are in the Cleveland area?

Are you a professor at Case Western?

I used to be, but not anymore. Now I'm in the Atlanta area.

I lived in the Cleveland area (Parma) for two years while I was completing a postdoc fellowship at Cleveland Clinic. As part of the fellowship I did teach at CWRU, specifically in the Master's in Bioethics program. It's a really nice and top-notch school, though super expensive.

Hey CB parents: How many, how old, and are they Cs fans?

9 year old stepdaughter, 4 year old son, and 1.5 year old son. Needless to say my household is kind of a nuthouse.

As far as C's fans, they're still pretty young, but both of the boys usually watch the games with me. We're all big fans of Tatum, as he's the hometown boy for us.

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2019, 09:35:24 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Hey CB parents: How many, how old, and are they Cs fans?
perhaps you should reverse the order of those questions? after all, if their parents didn't raise them as celtics' fans then why should we care about the rest?  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2019, 09:57:17 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I’m in insurance.
I was supposed to do something truly great but started hanging with the wrong people at the age of 14.
Eventually I became an actuary and that is what I do now.

My question to the Celtics strongers is:
Do you think you did with your life what you were supposed to do? Do you feel accomplished?

I am a fully credentialed actuary and have a “good” life but I don’t think I have done what I’m supposed to with my life.
It’s a weird feeling / thoughts

One of my favorite quotes from my favorite author, Douglas Adams: "'I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."

I've definitely taken an odd path, but I'm doing some very meaningful work now, and utilizing an interesting cross section of my skills and interests.
Yup

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2019, 10:20:28 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm working as an automation engineer at a biotech right now, but I'm contracted out from my actual company so I'll (mercifully) move to a new assignment within the next 5 months.

In the meantime, I'm working to get past a shoulder injury and high ankle sprain that have had me in PT 1-2 times a week since May. I'm just now feeling good enough to get back into climbing (which, coincidentally, is how both injuries happened). And that brings me to my question: does anybody else climb? I got started a few years ago and have been addicted ever since (even through injuries)

I also may or may not be looking for a new belay partner since my friends keep flaking on me ;D
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 10:27:24 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm a clinical liason for a physical therapy company. Primarily, I help coordinate pre and post surgical physical therapy for patients - which involves scheduling, handling the insurance and billing, and keeping all parties briefed on progress/setbacks/etc. when we deal with collegiate and pro athletes.

It's far more tedious than it sounds.

my wife is a PT .

I'll give both you and RJ87 a TP. My sister is a PT, and I've had a great experience in the past year with the PT clinic I've been going to. They've definitely paid a ton more attention to me and my symptoms than the GPs and orthopedists I've been to, and it's helped my recovery a lot. I cannot say enough good things about my experience
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2019, 11:33:24 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Neat idea, Roy. TP.

I'd like to know what everyone else does/did for a living. I always find it interesting to know what line of work others on here are/were in and see how far the common love of Celtics basketball permeates different careers and occupations.

I'll start - I'm a clinical ethicist and professor, and I direct a postdoctoral fellowship in clinical ethics. As a clinical ethicist I help resolve ethical issues that arise during healthcare, including issues such as: disagreement about the appropriateness of withholding/withdrawing life-sustaining treatment at the end of life, assisting with medical decision-making for patients who can't make medical decisions for themselves, HIV disclosures to third parties, pain medication management (family refusing pain medication for a patient in pain, a patient demonstrating drug-seeking behavior and requesting opiates, etc.), among many other things.

I wish I can disclose such information on the internet now that the new age Red Guard is in HK under the guise of brave youngsters fighting for freedom and basic human rights. TP for this though, I'd answer it here if I could without the risk of being doxxed.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 11:50:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm still a student (studying politics - specifically just about to enter my Masters of Public Policy), so my work isn't too exciting. I'm a waiter/barman at this functions & events house in Australia. I'm pretty excited to go out into the workplace and look for a more genuine career once I graduate, but at the moment I'm pretty happy doing fun hospitality.

I'd like to know how people came across this blog :)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 12:00:10 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I'm still a student (studying politics - specifically just about to enter my Masters of Public Policy), so my work isn't too exciting. I'm a waiter/barman at this functions & events house in Australia. I'm pretty excited to go out into the workplace and look for a more genuine career once I graduate, but at the moment I'm pretty happy doing fun hospitality.

Actually as a lurker when I was younger lol. And a master's degree? Wow!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2019, 12:48:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Ha, same. I lurked hear in my early teens, joined up under another username, then went away for a while to deal with some pretty bad mental health things, and then rejoined as Gouki!

Haha, thanks man. It's exciting, but also a bit frightening. It's technically a Bachelor's-Master's double degree, which is fun.

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 01:12:00 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I am the Operations Manager for the American branch of a Korean biotech firm. We provide Cell Counters and Immunoassay Measuring Devices to government and private facilities.

My job is heavily Logistics focused but we're only a 3 man office so my responsibilities can vary by the day,

Question: Has anyone produced any YouTube content, basketball related or otherwise?

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2019, 01:19:12 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
Great idea for a thread Roy!  I may not post much but I have been around the forums for over a decade and as a displaced Celtics fan I get most of my Celtics insight from the people on this site. 

I was not able to finish college and moved around a bit.  Eventually I started waiting tables and bartending because I could make some decent money and not break my back.  That lead to working in nicer restaurants, learning more and getting into the wine side of things.  Eventually I became a Certified Sommelier and now am in my second stint managing a Forbes 5-Star/AAA 5-Diamond restaurant.  We are not saving lives but there are only 25 restaurants in the world that are both 5-star/5-diamond and I am proud of what we do.  I have been lucky that I work with so many talented people and that life has worked out as it has.  It certainly was not something that I planned but I like how things shook out.  In addition to being a Somm I am a Certified Beer Server, a former elected official and on a lark an ordained minister.

More importantly I have an amazing 2nd wife and 4 pretty special kids:  a 22 year old son and 18 year old twin daughters from my first marriage and a 6 year old daughter from my second wife who keeps me on my toes.  All are Celtics fans, though not quite the sports fanatics that I am.  I also have a 9 year old boxer named Rondo (her brother's name was Brutus as my wife is a proud Ohio State Alum).
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 01:21:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Great idea for a thread Roy!  I may not post much but I have been around the forums for over a decade and as a displaced Celtics fan I get most of my Celtics insight from the people on this site. 

I was not able to finish college and moved around a bit.  Eventually I started waiting tables and bartending because I could make some decent money and not break my back.  That lead to working in nicer restaurants, learning more and getting into the wine side of things.  Eventually I became a Certified Sommelier and now am in my second stint managing a Forbes 5-Star/AAA 5-Diamond restaurant.  We are not saving lives but there are only 25 restaurants in the world that are both 5-star/5-diamond and I am proud of what we do.  I have been lucky that I work with so many talented people and that life has worked out as it has.  It certainly was not something that I planned but I like how things shook out.  In addition to being a Somm I am a Certified Beer Server, a former elected official and on a lark an ordained minister.

More importantly I have an amazing 2nd wife and 4 pretty special kids:  a 22 year old son and 18 year old twin daughters from my first marriage and a 6 year old daughter from my second wife who keeps me on my toes.  All are Celtics fans, though not quite the sports fanatics that I am.  I also have a 9 year old boxer named Rondo (her brother's name was Brutus as my wife is a proud Ohio State Alum).
Whoa, really awesome life story right there! TP!

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 01:23:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Ha, same. I lurked hear in my early teens, joined up under another username, then went away for a while to deal with some pretty bad mental health things, and then rejoined as Gouki!

Haha, thanks man. It's exciting, but also a bit frightening. It's technically a Bachelor's-Master's double degree, which is fun.
Ah I see, I hope your mental health is alright now :D. And a double degree sounds great, don't be too nervous about it!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2019, 01:24:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Whoa, really awesome life story right there! TP!
^this. It sounds amazing!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA