Poll

2020 NBA playoffs: 4th quarter, game 7, the series is on the line. Whom would you pick?

Kawhi
13 (43.3%)
LeBron
7 (23.3%)
Giannis
0 (0%)
Davis
0 (0%)
Harden
0 (0%)
Embiid
0 (0%)
George
0 (0%)
Lillard
3 (10%)
Tatum
3 (10%)
Luka
3 (10%)
Jokic
0 (0%)
other (please name below)
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: 4th quarter, game 7, the series is on the line. Whom would you pick?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Bill Simmons made a list of his ''top 25 players right now for the next 4 months if I'm trying to win a title''. He was discussing the list with Zach Lowe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9XhMW7B_uw

A couple of caveats:

1. This is not a list of who are the best 25 players in the league. 4th quarter, game 7, these are the guys that I trust to be on the floor.
2. Has to be somebody who actually has a chance to be in the playoffs.

So here's his list:

Tier 1
1. Kawhi
2. LeBron
3. Giannis
4. AD

Tier 2
5. Harden
6. Embiid
7. George
8. Lillard
9. Tatum
10. Luka
11. Jokic

Tier 3
12. Lowry
13. Siakam

Tier 4
14. Bam
15. Westbrook
16. Middleton
17. Butler
18. Brown
19. Mitchell
20. CP3
21. Beal

Tier 5
22. Simmons (due to injury concerns)
23. Kemba (due to injury concerns)
24. Zion
25. Sabonis/Murray/Brogdon/SGA/Oladipo/Gobert/Holiday/McCollum/Ja/Ingram

Zach Lowe chose Ingram for the 25th spot.

So what do you guys think? Any objections? Feel free to make your own list if you want.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 12:23:46 PM by Jvalin »

Re: Top 25 players right now if I'm trying to win a title
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 12:20:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
So here's his list:

Tier 1
1. Kawhi
2. LeBron
3. Giannis
4. AD

Tier 2
5. Harden
6. Embiid
7. George
8. Lillard
9. Tatum
10. Luka
11. Jokic

I would put Luka in the first tier. Luka is on a par with LeBron for me. LeBron better defensively, Luka better offensively. Same level overall. The question to me is whether Giannis goes in front or behind these two guys. Close call.

I would drop AD to the second tier. AD still hasn't figured out what type of player he is. You can't lead others if you don't understand yourself.

I don't like the order of that second tier. Embiid and PG13 would be towards the bottom for me. Not the top. Tatum - I want to see maintain this current level for longer before I put him near the top so I will leave him towards the bottom next to Embiid and PG13 for the time being.

Lillard would be top dog of that second tier because he won't shy away from the moment. Then AD. Then Harden / Jokic.

Beal deserves to be up here too. No idea why he is in the 4th tier. I'd strongly consider adding Westbrook and Zion to the 2nd tier as well. Yeah, I would do that. I feel better about having Westbrook / Zion on the floor than Embiid or PG13.

Re: 4th quarter, game 7, the series is on the line. Whom would you pick?
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 12:51:01 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm still taking Lebron with one quarter, everything on the line.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2020, 12:59:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm still taking Lebron with one quarter, everything on the line.

Yep.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 01:05:12 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Depends on the team.  Game 7, 4Q against the Celtics, Khris Middleton jumps to the top of tier 1  :P

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 01:13:55 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I went with Kawhi as I think he is the best combination of strength, speed, skill/shooting, and determination. Perhaps recency bias is playing a part here and I don't consider him the best player in the NBA, but I really don't want anything to do with Kawhi in the 4th quarter of a game 7. I believe he has the best chance at getting the shot he wants to get consistently down the stretch.

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 01:26:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Surprised by how low Kemba is on the list given what a clutch player he is. There are a whole bunch of players on that list ahead of Kemba that shouldn't be. It's probably due to his lack of appearances in the playoffs, but I would take Walker somewhere closer to top 10-12 than I would top 23-25.

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 01:38:25 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I would take James Harden off that list completely, never mind having him #5. He seems to fall apart in the playoffs, in close games, especially in the fourth quarter. On top of it, if the refs don't want to decide the outcome by calling a foul, I don't know if Harden would be able to function.

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 01:52:01 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I went with Kawhi as I think he is the best combination of strength, speed, skill/shooting, and determination. Perhaps recency bias is playing a part here and I don't consider him the best player in the NBA, but I really don't want anything to do with Kawhi in the 4th quarter of a game 7. I believe he has the best chance at getting the shot he wants to get consistently down the stretch.
Agree with this.  I think Kawhi is the best player in the NBA in such a situation.  He will probably be playing on a level beyond how he has played this regular season by a game 7 of the playoffs.

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2020, 01:54:47 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'm between Kawhi and Luka. I truly believe that people are sleeping on Luka just because they haven't seen him play in the playoffs yet.

Even masked profanity is against site rules. Please, do not do it. Thank you. I'm voting for Luka. He's the next Larry legend.

Btw, Bam at #14 is hilarious. I love his game, but come on now! In what universe is Bam a more important playoff player than Butler?

Brown at #18? No way! If we are talking just playoffs, imo Tatum > Hayward > Smart > Kemba > Brown.
Brown is primarily a slasher. Good luck trying to attack the basket in the 4th quarter of a close playoff series. The game slows down for everybody. Crafty players (=Tatum) are way more effective than explosive players (=Brown).

Anyway, here's my list:

Tier 1
1. Luka
2. Kawhi
3. LeBron

Tier 2
4. Embiid
5. Giannis
6. Davis
7. Jokic

Tier 3
8. Lillard
9. Kyrie (hate him all you want, he's clutch)

Not sure about 10-25. I'd put Tatum in tier 4. SGA would make the list too. The kid is 21 years old and he's playing like a battle-hardened veteran. If you ask me, he's the #1 reason the Thunder are a playoff team this season, not CP3.

I don't think Giannis can dominate a slow paced offense in the 4th quarter of a game 7. I mean, he couldn't do it in the FIBA World Cup (against clearly inferior opponents), why will he do it at the NBA level? I may well be wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it. He can pass the ball to his teammates though and they are deadly shooters from the perimeter.

As for Harden, I'm more or less with johnnygreen on this one.

I would take James Harden off that list completely, never mind having him #5. He seems to fall apart in the playoffs, in close games, especially in the fourth quarter. On top of it, if the refs don't want to decide the outcome by calling a foul, I don't know if Harden would be able to function.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 07:05:55 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 03:07:12 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I'm between Kawhi and Luka. I truly believe that people are sleeping on Luka just because they haven't seen him play in the playoffs yet.

Even masked profanity is against site rules. Please, do not do it. Thank you. I'm voting for Luka. He's the next Larry legend.

Btw, Bam at #14 is hilarious. I love his game, but come on now! In what universe is Bam a more important playoff player than Butler?

Brown at #18? No way! If we are talking just playoffs, imo Tatum > Hayward > Smart > Kemba > Brown.
Brown is primarily a slasher. Good luck trying to attack the basket in the 4th quarter of a close playoff series. The game slows down for everybody. Crafty players (=Tatum) are way more effective than explosive players (=Brown).

Anyway, here's my list:

Tier 1
1. Luka
2. Kawhi
3. LeBron

Tier 2
4. Embiid
5. Giannis
6. Davis
7. Jokic

Tier 3
8. Lillard
9. Kyrie (hate him all you want, he's clutch)

Not sure about 10-25. I'd put Tatum in tier 4. SGA would make the list too. The kid is 21 years old and he's playing like a battle-hardened veteran. If you ask me, he's the #1 reason the Thunder are a playoff team this season, not CP3.

I don't think Giannis can dominate a slow paced offense in the 4th quarter of a game 7. I mean, he couldn't do it in the FIBA World Cup (against clearly inferior opponents), why will he do it at the NBA level? I may well be wrong, but I'll believe it when I see it. He can pass the ball to his teammates though and they are deadly shooters form the perimeter.

As for Harden, I'm more or less with johnnygreen on this one.

Luka's great no doubt, I wouldn't put him in tier 1 however, certainly not above Kawhi and Lebron. I also wouldn't put Embiid in tier 2. Again he's a great player, but not at that level. Right now, I'd go Kawhi although Lebron is a close second. If not for injuries Stef and Durant would be in tier 1 as well.

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 03:35:15 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Steph is coming back in like a week and should maybe be on the list. If I need a 3 I take him or Lillard. If I need any basket or drawing FTs, between Kawhi and LeBron. Probably LeBron if you include passing for the key bucket.

Oh and if I need a stop I want Giannis or A Davis.  Remember Embiid has choked several times on D in key situations, mostly against us.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:14:32 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 03:50:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Lebron and Kawhi are in a tier by themselves.  They've actually done it.  The others either have limited experience or have experience at failing to carry their team.  After those two, I'd rate the top 2 way players (Giannis, Embiid, AD) next. 

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 04:28:48 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
My answer to whom I would trust most with the ball for a final play in the 4th quarter, game 7, series on the line, would be either Luka Doncic or Damian Lillard (so I voted Doncic, I didn't read the question right).

For a whole quarter I probably put Kawhi Leonard on top (even though I rate Antetokounmpo as the world's best player).

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 07:55:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If AD is Tier 1 I think Doncic and Lillard deserve consideration for it too.

I take Kawhi. Even under an injury cloud during last years playoffs he was simply unstoppable, and hit from all over the court. Plus, his passing has jumped massively.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)