Author Topic: After Jones Jr. wins dunk contest, he signs shoe deal with puma  (Read 1940 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28724674/derrick-jones-jr-gets-puma-deal-dunk-contest-win

Rigged for marketing purposes? He was wearing puma shoes during the contest. Wonder why

Re: After Jones Jr. wins dunk contest, he signs shoe deal with puma
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 03:58:05 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ah, shoes for the gullible, you'll jump higher and play better in my shoes......Haha

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 04:09:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Ah, shoes for the gullible, you'll jump higher and play better in my shoes......Haha
this has to be rigged. I never heard of anyone saying they prefer to wear puma shoes. They’ve been aggressive in shoe deals and this would make sense to have the nba rig this for them

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 04:37:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28724674/derrick-jones-jr-gets-puma-deal-dunk-contest-win

Rigged for marketing purposes? He was wearing puma shoes during the contest. Wonder why

Probably because Puma was already trying to sign him and said "hey if you dunk in our shoes and win we'll give you a much better deal"?

Any old heads remember Dee Brown getting a bunch of Reebok ads after very publicly inflating his Pumps in the dunk contest?

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 04:50:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
this has to be rigged. I never heard of anyone saying they prefer to wear puma shoes. They’ve been aggressive in shoe deals and this would make sense to have the nba rig this for them
Why would that make any sense?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 04:52:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Probably because Puma was already trying to sign him and said "hey if you dunk in our shoes and win we'll give you a much better deal"?

Any old heads remember Dee Brown getting a bunch of Reebok ads after very publicly inflating his Pumps in the dunk contest?
Just about to bring up the Dee Brown pumping of sneakers. TP for beating me to it.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 04:52:51 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why would that make any sense?

Because conspiracy theories are always better than real life.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 04:59:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Just about to bring up the Dee Brown pumping of sneakers. TP for beating me to it.

To be fair I think Dee already had a Pumps deal, he just got a ton more promotion after winning in em.

But yeah, shoe companies have been well aware of the marketing opportunities provided by the Slam Dunk contest for a looooooooooooong time.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 05:04:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

To be fair I think Dee already had a Pumps deal, he just got a ton more promotion after winning in em.

But yeah, shoe companies have been well aware of the marketing opportunities provided by the Slam Dunk contest for a looooooooooooong time.
Shoe companies love dunks. Just look at the Nike Air Jordan logo.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 06:44:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What about AG?