Author Topic: Cavs/Beilein likely to part ways  (Read 5268 times)

Re: Cavs/Beilein likely to part ways
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 01:43:36 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
The Cavs are one of the most incompetently-managed franchises in the NBA.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 02:20:58 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Other than Lebron and Kyrie, the Cavs have been the Timberwolves West.

They seemingly wanted to have an EC Playoff team while developing their prospects, but they overestimated their veterans and their drafting and player development is poor. Overcoming those factors requires exceptional coaching and chemistry.

They should consider stripping the roster. Selling low on Love and Thompson isn't ideal, but they are players that have to be moved on from to begin anew. The Drummond trade was another poor move, not from an asset perspective, but from an identity and chemistry perspective. They brought in a disgruntled veteran onto a team to take minutes away from their disgruntled veterans.

Veterans+Losing+1stYearCollegeCoach is a recipe for a messy locker room.

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 03:58:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is clear his college coaching antics did not wear well with his players.

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2020, 04:40:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
and what antics are those, may i ask?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2020, 05:03:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
After watching the Cavs get beat by the Celtics in the preseason by....what was it?....nearly 60 points....certainly gave me the impression Beilein shouldn't have been coaching that team any longer. But then I figured maybe Cleveland ownership knew Beilein would be terrible and wanted that to tank for a top pick.

Maybe, but, that he lasted over 50 games, surprises me greatly. He sure seemed terribly out of his element.

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 06:39:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
and what antics are those, may i ask?

Beinlein is a teacher and the NBA are pros  but you can't treat men like you would treat a boy is the bottom line.

Beilein’s strength as a coach is teaching and preparation. The NBA is set up for veteran players who already know the game and can quickly adapt.

Beilein’s core mission is to coach key players who still should be in college. Think of a pair of 19-year-olds (Darius Garland, Kevin Porter Jr.) and 21-year-old Collin Sexton.

Pros can be coached some of course, but not like college players or high school players.

Beilein wants to teach. Practice is the best place to do it.

For coaches such as Beilein, part of practice means being on the court... working 5-on-5... running, sweating, pushing yourself physically along with grasping the mental part of the game.

“In college, you can control everything in practice, get better and still be rested for the games,” he said. “We went through a stretch of five games in eight days in three different time zones... If you work too hard in practice, you have no legs for the games.”

The Cavs had only two full-court, all-out practices between Christmas and the third week of January.

Altman has said at times the Cavs have to “use games as practices,” working on certain aspects that need to be improved. That sounds good, but it’s difficult to pull off because everyone is watching and the score is being kept. In the end, the loss goes next to the name of the coach.

All the teaching in the world will get shut out if your not winning.

Behind the scenes
While he has had some minor clashes with veterans Tristan Thompson and Kevin Love, Beilein sounds sincere when he said, “They have been respectful to the entire coaching staff. I value their input and ask for it.”

Beilein said it would be tempting for them to say, “I’m an All-Star... I’ve won a championship... and you’re the new guy." The coach said that hasn’t happened.

“I’ve had to learn to change my tone,” he said. “I didn’t raise my voice that much at Michigan... it’s almost never now. I want to use influence over authority, pulling people aside and talking

https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2020/01/if-john-beilein-had-to-do-it-over-again-would-he-come-to-coach-the-cleveland-cavaliers.html

And then you had this

During an off-day film session in Detroit, the first-year coach told his team that they were no longer playing “like a bunch of thugs” — a comment that was met with stunned silence from his largely African American roster.

In the aftermath, the 66-year-old Beilein attempted to walk back his comment, reportedly telling a number of his players that he meant to say “slugs.”

According to ESPN, Cavaliers players became “increasingly disturbed” as they filed out of the meeting. As general manager Koby Altman got involved, Beilein started reaching out to players individually in an attempt to clarify his words.

“I didn’t realize that I had said the word ‘thugs,’ but my staff told me later I did and so I must have said it,” Beilein told ESPN, acknowledging that he understood the racial connotations of the word.

“I meant to say slugs, as in slow-moving. We weren’t playing hard before, and now we were playing harder. I meant it as a compliment. That’s what I was trying to say. I’ve already talked to eight of my players tonight, and they are telling me that they understand.”

"In the pros, half the players or more are making more money than you do,” said Shyatt. “You become more of a manager of personalities, a mentor, a teacher and you have to stay a positive influence.”

https://nypost.com/2020/01/09/john-beilein-scrambles-behind-scenes-after-calling-cavaliers-players-bunch-of-thugs/

I live in Ohio and while I certainly don't follow the Cavs, I have to listen to the crap of their fans.  In college coaches are in control, not always in the NBA it is more of partnership.  I think Beinlein grasped this a little too late.

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 08:34:40 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Jason Lolyd a Cleveland reporter for the Athletic is saying that Andre Drummond made it clear via his agent (who's also Love's) that if Beilein was to return he would be gone.

So it might have come to a head at this point that they were going to have to fire him at the end of the year. Which means he wants out NOW so he can get a college job since the college coaching cycle kicks off before the NBA season ends in April.

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 08:37:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Jason Lolyd a Cleveland reporter for the Athletic is saying that Andre Drummond made it clear via his agent (who's also Love's) that if Beilein was to return he would be gone.

So it might have come to a head at this point that they were going to have to fire him at the end of the year. Which means he wants out NOW so he can get a college job since the college coaching cycle kicks off before the NBA season ends in April.
Drummond doing a LeBron impersonation huh
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Drummond doing a LeBron impersonation huh

Wait, so Drummond just got there and he already hates the coach that much? I feel like Drummond is getting some of the blame here when maybe it's the other players who haven't liked him all season. Makes more sense right?

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If the environment is toxic and the team already is checked out on the coach why would Drummond not also be out on him?

Drummond's opinion as an upcoming FA the Cavs appear to want is definitely something they'd check on. (same with their young lottery picks but they don't have any power as they're still on rookie deals)

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 12:16:43 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
If the environment is toxic and the team already is checked out on the coach why would Drummond not also be out on him?

Drummond's opinion as an upcoming FA the Cavs appear to want is definitely something they'd check on. (same with their young lottery picks but they don't have any power as they're still on rookie deals)

Well that's my point. Drummond has the leverage that the other guys don't. But he's been there for like a week and the other players have been known to be unhappy for months. Given that his agent is also Love's, who had a public display of frustration with the coach, I think it's likely Drummond's name is getting attached in order to get something done. Not that he is originating this.

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 12:19:00 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't get why you are skeptical about Drummond not buying into him. Doesn't take two weeks to see that the entire situation is bad and say "nah not doing this next year ".

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 12:29:24 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I don't get why you are skeptical about Drummond not buying into him. Doesn't take two weeks to see that the entire situation is bad and say "nah not doing this next year ".

It's not that I doubt that Drummond doesn't like him. I just doubt that Drummond is driving the thing. It's really more likely the agent working on Love's behalf using Drummond's leverage given that Drummond only just showed up and Love has been unhappy for months.

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 12:30:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

It's not that I doubt that Drummond doesn't like him. I just doubt that Drummond is driving the thing. It's really more likely the agent working on Love's behalf using Drummond's leverage given that Drummond only just showed up and Love has been unhappy for months.
You really think an agent would do that without Drummond saying he was okay with it? This was a named player direct sourced as being unhappy. That's a great way to get fired real quick as an agent.

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

You really think an agent would do that without Drummond saying he was okay with it? This was a named player direct sourced as being unhappy. That's a great way to get fired real quick as an agent.

No, I think Drummond doesn't particularly care. That's kind of what I'm saying. It's Drummond kind of allowing others to have their way, rather than Drummond coming in and being 100% against the coach within a week. Maybe not. I just don't see that as the most likely scenario at this time.