Author Topic: Cavs/Beilein likely to part ways  (Read 5299 times)

Cavs/Beilein likely to part ways
« on: February 17, 2020, 09:25:37 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Re: Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 09:32:20 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Cavs and Beilein discussing parting ways

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28720022/sources-cavaliers-coach-john-beilein-discussed-possibility-stepping-down

Color me shocked.

A 67 year old career college coach has trouble adjusting to the professional ranks? 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Re: NBA 2019-2020 season thread
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 10:01:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah this is less and less surprising to me the more I learn about the details of how his coaching style works and how it has rubbed even a lot of college kids wrong initially.

Gilbert became to enamored with the idea of landing a college coach and how well it "would" work. He's offered the job to multiple other college coaches in the past according to Windhorst.

Still its nuts he might be gone midseason after signing a 5 year deal, reminds me of Bobby Petrino.

Cavs/Beilein likely to part ways
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 10:21:10 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28720022/sources-cavaliers-coach-john-beilein-discussed-possibility-stepping-down

He is apparently miserable and the Cavs don't want a guy that is miserable coaching their young team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Cavs/Beilein likely to part ways
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 10:39:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This was a pretty bad idea from day one. 

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 10:55:26 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
This was a pretty bad idea from day one. 
I think mostly because Beilein is so old.  I understand the thought process i.e. we are going to have a young team, let's get a college coach that can develop them into men, but they then went out and got a very old coach with no NBA experience at all.  If you get someone like Stevens that is young and can grow into the role, I think that would have made sense, but not an old man set in his ways that may struggle with the significant extra strain that comes along with a grueling season.  It isn't just players that struggle to adapt to all of those extra games and extra travel

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 11:14:50 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
What is the direction of that franchise? Is Sexton or garland a future all star? I would be quite a bit surprised if Sexton became one. Kevin love is trapped in purgatory and seems to be viewed as a negative asset. What do they do moving forward to being competitive?

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 11:49:35 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
What is the direction of that franchise? Is Sexton or garland a future all star? I would be quite a bit surprised if Sexton became one. Kevin love is trapped in purgatory and seems to be viewed as a negative asset. What do they do moving forward to being competitive?
It's quite funny actually, for all of Lebron's greatness, he hasnt done much for the Cavs apart from that 1 title in how many seasons? 8, 9? They were relevamt all along, but we know titles matter and to make it worse, his style of going aboug business has left the franchise in a very bad spot.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 12:00:33 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Lots of college coaches can’t coach NBA..they not going listen to u..just get along with the players...
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2020, 12:02:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

Irrelevance.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 12:03:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
It's quite funny actually, for all of Lebron's greatness, he hasnt done much for the Cavs apart from that 1 title in how many seasons? 8, 9? They were relevamt all along, but we know titles matter and to make it worse, his style of going aboug business has left the franchise in a very bad spot.
They made 5 Finals with him, were one of the best teams by win percentage while he was there, and were heavy underdogs in all of those Finals so only getting one title isn't "bad" in my book. I mean the 20% shot at winning each of those series against GSW/Spurs seems about right on average.

I think its to his credit, that franchise is a dumpster fire from the owner on down. He dragged an terrible organization to greatness. They chew through coaches/GMs/etc so fast no chance to ever develop anything good in that organization.

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 12:49:46 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
they should've never traded Kyrie

they're cursed since then!

The curse of the Kyrie! :)

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2020, 01:20:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
they should've never traded Kyrie

they're cursed since then!

The curse of the Kyrie! :)
Curse of LBJ is more accurate. They haven't had a competent team that didn't have LBJ on the roster since 1997-98 when Mike Frattello had a team with Wesley Person, Shawn Kemp, and young Big Z.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
They made 5 Finals with him, were one of the best teams by win percentage while he was there, and were heavy underdogs in all of those Finals so only getting one title isn't "bad" in my book. I mean the 20% shot at winning each of those series against GSW/Spurs seems about right on average.

I think its to his credit, that franchise is a dumpster fire from the owner on down. He dragged an terrible organization to greatness. They chew through coaches/GMs/etc so fast no chance to ever develop anything good in that organization.

LeBron literally took this roster:

Daniel Gibson   PG      
J.J. Hickson   C   
Z Ilgauskas   C   
Darnell Jackson   PF   
LeBron James   SF      
Trey Johnson   SG   
Tarence Kinsey   SG   
Sasha Pavlović   SF
Joe Smith           C   
Wally Szczerbiak SF   
Anderson Varejão PF   
Ben Wallace   PF   
Delonte West   SG   
Jawad Williams   SF   
Mo Williams   PG   
Lorenzen Wright C

To 66 wins in the regular season, the same number the first Big 3 team got the year earlier. Note that Wallace was a shadow of himself by that point.  Replace LeBron with an average starting SF and they struggle to get 26. That's incredibly impressive even if they ultimately lost in the ECF.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2020, 01:41:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah.  I think the fact that they were winning 60 games his first stint and made 4 consecutive Finals, winning one, his second time is a better sign of his greatness than they other way around.  The Cavs have basically always been a mess of an organization from top down.  I mean Lebron left Miami and they didn't go into the crapper.  Obviously not as good losing one of the greatest players ever, but not the worst team in the league either.  Lebron dragged crap to greatness.  that is perhaps his greatest trait.