Poll

Would you be interested in any of these players? Feel free to vote for as many players as you want.

Bismack Biyombo
16 (8.5%)
Andrew Bogut (currently playing in Australia)
5 (2.7%)
Trey Burke
5 (2.7%)
Allen Crabbe
3 (1.6%)
Jamal Crawford (free agent)
6 (3.2%)
Matthew Dellavedova
7 (3.7%)
Wayne Ellington
13 (6.9%)
Keneth Farried (free agent)
6 (3.2%)
Yogi Ferrell
2 (1.1%)
Tim Frazier (waived)
1 (0.5%)
Marcin Gortat (free agent)
3 (1.6%)
John Henson
8 (4.3%)
Amir Johnson (free agent)
1 (0.5%)
Tyler Johnson
5 (2.7%)
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
3 (1.6%)
Brandon Knight
0 (0%)
Ian Mahinmi
6 (3.2%)
Joakim Noah (free agent)
7 (3.7%)
Zaza Pachulia (free agent)
0 (0%)
Isaiah Thomas
17 (9%)
Tristan Thompson
34 (18.1%)
Evan Turner
13 (6.9%)
Marvin Williams
17 (9%)
other (please name below)
2 (1.1%)
Jonah Bolden (waived)
2 (1.1%)
Reggie Jackson
0 (0%)
I'd rather we sign no one.
5 (2.7%)
DeMarre Carroll
1 (0.5%)
Dragan Bender (waived)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Poll: Buyout candidates, free agents  (Read 23937 times)

Re: Poll: Buyout candidates, free agents
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2020, 02:25:13 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Rotoworld reporting that Tristan Thompson will not be bought out and remain with Cavs..we already knew this so who is next on the wish list?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2020, 02:26:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bolden? 😂😂

Laugh at this buddy

19pts/5 3s/3 blk game highlight
https://youtu.be/iMKBE5gHJFE

In all seriousness beggers cant be choosers. And it would only be due for insurance purpose

IF theis or kanter drop due to injury or foul trouble in the playoffs, the celts will be in deep trouble

Bolden maybe isnt an impact type. But they also said the same about Richuan Holmes.

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Kinda funny that Bolden only requires one name like he's a Garnett, Iverson, Duncan type of guy too ;D  I'm done!

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2020, 02:30:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Kinda funny that Bolden only requires one name like he's a Garnett, Iverson, Duncan type of guy too ;D  I'm done!

Haha. Had to rush the post. But should have included more details

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2020, 02:30:20 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Just One game..😂😂😂

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2020, 02:32:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Just One game..😂😂😂

Options are limited buddy

TT is off the market

I dont like the Celts going into the playoffs without another big

No way Tacko is a viable insurance policy

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2020, 02:33:10 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Bolden? 😂😂

He wouldn't be the first Sixer big to go undeveloped by his team. Okafor. Noel. Holmes.

Holmes went on to be developed into a serviceable player. I'm also all for getting a player from a rival team. There's something about that chip on the shoulder that is good gamesmenship, especially if you can turn the player into something.

Like, for example the way the Sixers have the raincloud of Tatum over their head.

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2020, 02:33:30 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Thompson is almost a rich man’s Enes Kanter (significantly better on defense) tho his inability to shoot free throws is a problem. If we could get him it’d be great and we could fit him into platoons based on matchups.
I would argue that Thompson is the polar opposite of Kanter.

Thomspon is a defensive minded big. Kanter sucks on D, but he thrives as a low post scorer (+ rebounder).

If anything, Thompson is a rich man's Theis.

My prediction is that Danny will choose "Other:".   As in no one.

I see no one on the buyout horizon that I believe Danny will think is worth cutting Poirier or Green for.
Not even Thompson?

Danny himself said that we'll pay “close attention” to the buyout market.

In any case, I edited the poll and added that option as well.

How in the heck is Thompson a rich man's Theis? Theis can shoot from the outside, TT cannot. Theis isnt ideal defending post players, Thompson is good in that area. Theis is very good in switches, TT gets killed there. Theis is average rebounder, TT is very good there, esp on the offensive end. Theis is the better shotblocker while TT isnt really known for that.
Theis is shooting 31.7% from 3 this season. Most of his shots are wide open as well. He's obviously a better shooter than Thompson, but he's nothing special.

I don't agree that Thompson gets killed in switches. Not sure where to find stats on switching D. Only thing I found is this:

It's from the 2016 Finals against the Warriors. Basically, Thompson was the second best defender on Steph. The only better defender was LeBron.

Knowing you, this is a shot at Theis.
I have nothing against Theis. It's just that I don't think he's good enough to be a starter for a playoff team (much less for a contending team). I would be happy with him coming off the bench, but we already got Kanter who's perfect for that role.

Theis playing limited minutes off the bench? Sure. In fact, that was his role till last season.
Theis playing big minutes as a starter? Thanks, but no thanks.

Thompson wouldn't come here to be our third-string center. 
Ageed. He might come here to be our starter.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 03:00:39 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2020, 02:34:22 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
Just One game..😂😂😂

Options are limited buddy

TT is off the market

I dont like the Celts going into the playoffs without another big

No way Tacko is a viable insurance policy
I do agree with u there..

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2020, 02:35:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Bolden? 😂😂

He wouldn't be the first Sixer big to go undeveloped by his team. Okafor. Noel. Holmes.

Holmes went on to be developed into a serviceable player. I'm also all for getting a player from a rival team. There's something about that chip on the shoulder that is good gamesmenship, especially if you can turn the player into something.

Like, for example the way the Sixers have the raincloud of Tatum over their head.

Exactly

Holmes, Wood for example just needed a chance

And now the Celts would love to have one

Bolden is a low risk grab

Otherwise I can see the Rockets taking him

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2020, 02:51:08 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Bolden? 😂😂

Laugh at this buddy

19pts/5 3s/3 blk game highlight
https://youtu.be/iMKBE5gHJFE

In all seriousness beggers cant be choosers. And it would only be due for insurance purpose

IF theis or kanter drop due to injury or foul trouble in the playoffs, the celts will be in deep trouble

Bolden maybe isnt an impact type. But they also said the same about Richuan Holmes.

Pretty sure we aren't beggars.   So we can choose not to pick up the scraps from Philly's dumpster.

Yes, if Theis or Kanter drop due to injury or foul trouble the Celts will be in trouble.   That statement is true of any of any team's top-7 players.

You aren't going to go deep in the playoffs relying on some guy who would be 4th string at any of your 5 positions.

The Celtics need to be healthy to make a deep run through the playoffs.   But that statement is true for all teams.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2020, 02:56:27 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Bolden? 😂😂

Noel and Okafor didn't develop any more after they left the Sixers though.  Okafor got in better shape but he still doesn't play much.  You are right about Holmes.

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2020, 03:23:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Rotoworld reporting that Tristan Thompson will not be bought out and remain with Cavs..we already knew this so who is next on the wish list?

I wouldn't be shocked if this is revisted in a few weeks (deadline is march 1st?). The cavs are going to play drummond pretty decent minutes to decide if they want to keep him this year (he also could just opt in for 28 million even if they don't want him to). Drummond was averaging 34 minutes a game in Detroit. Even if they put him down to 32  (and he would get furious if they limited him to 25 or something in front of his free agency), that would leave 16 minutes for Thompson and zero backup center minutes for Lance or small ball lineups with Love. They clearly should not cut down Nance's minutes since he is on their team next year and could be part of the team moving forward (he is 27). How do they manage that all? Maybe they just send Love away? 

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2020, 04:38:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I wouldn't be shocked if this is revisted in a few weeks (deadline is march 1st?). The cavs are going to play drummond pretty decent minutes to decide if they want to keep him this year (he also could just opt in for 28 million even if they don't want him to). Drummond was averaging 34 minutes a game in Detroit. Even if they put him down to 32  (and he would get furious if they limited him to 25 or something in front of his free agency), that would leave 16 minutes for Thompson and zero backup center minutes for Lance or small ball lineups with Love. They clearly should not cut down Nance's minutes since he is on their team next year and could be part of the team moving forward (he is 27). How do they manage that all? Maybe they just send Love away?
Rich Paul clients don't take buyouts. They won't give back a penny in a buyout. That has been Paul's clients' history.

If the reason for no buyout is because of a reluctance to do it from Thompson's end, rather than Cleveland's, I don't see any reason why Cleveland wouldn't simply send TT home for the year.

Let Drummond play as much as he wants and see if keeping Drummond long term is something Cleveland wants to do. That way they can see how Love and Drummond and Nance and Drummond work as pairings.

If the reluctance to do the buyout is from Thompson's end, that means Cleveland is good with moving on from Thompson, so the above scenario could happen.

Cleveland could also just release Thompson. If they wanted to be petty, I guess they could release him after March 1st.

If TT and the Cavs are splitting, it should be interesting to see how it plays out.

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2020, 07:59:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1225946659219177472

He's not been getting much play this season, but he was a solid 4 last season and Kemba is friendly with him. Not sure we're interested
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)