Author Topic: Trade Deadline Thread: Rumors and News  (Read 82709 times)

Re: Trade Deadline Thread: Rumors and News
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2020, 03:49:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
WOJ (mini-)BOMB:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1224428316372996097?s=20
Good to hear. Our rivals in the East are very strong at the PF-C positions. Theis is a terrible fit against Horford-Embiid / Giannis-BroLo / Turner-Sabonis. If the goal is to make a deep playoff run, we need to upgrade the C position.

Would love us to go after Turner, but I'd be happy with Capela as well.

https://twitter.com/chrisgrenham/status/1224430722515193856

Windhorst: I asked a staffer to give me some names that worked salarywise, and this is what he came up with.
That would be a dream trade on our part! We get to keep all our core guys and we add a legit starting-caliber Center in Capela!

A healthy Theis and Kanter is a very strong PF-C grouping. Really don't consider Capela a massive upgrade from those two.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2020, 03:57:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
WOJ (mini-)BOMB:

Good to hear. Our rivals in the East are very strong at the PF-C positions. Theis is a terrible fit against Horford-Embiid / Giannis-BroLo / Turner-Sabonis. If the goal is to make a deep playoff run, we need to upgrade the C position.

Windhorst: I asked a staffer to give me some names that worked salarywise, and this is what he came up with.
That would be a dream trade on our part! We get to keep all our core guys and we add a legit starting-caliber Center in Capela!

Respectfully, Theis should be a core player at this point.  Not long-term, hope to keep forever core, but he’s absolutely part of this year’s core.  The upgrade from Theis to Capela would be marginal at best, so trading your rookie lottery pick and another potential lottery pick is a high price.  This is compounded by the fact that Theis is under contract for a bargain $5 million next season.

I can get moving Kanter, whom I like, in such a package for Capela. Not sure I’d do it, but I’d get it.  Theis just wouldn’t make sense to trade in such a package.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 04:04:44 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2020, 04:02:30 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1224429473455579137?s=20

This is all well and good but in order for the C's to get Capela they have to move Kanter, Poirier, Green and Willaims with a 1st round pick or Kanter, Poirier and Romer with a pick.  That seems like a lot of moving parts.  I'm not sure how this will affect chemistry but if it's guys who haven't played it should not matter much on the court but how does it affect the locker room.  Also, Theis has been playing outstanding as a starter.  Is Capela a backup?  How will Theis accept the bench role and reduced minutes?  Lot's of questions and kind of gun shy because of last year.  If this was Collins from Atlanta different story.  Capela is a really good rebounding defensive big who would be great in pick and roll with Kemba and Marcus but can't shoot outside of 5 ft.  How good is he defending the PnR.  Lots of questions.

Windhorst discussed Capela to Boston on the Lowe Post:

"You'd be talking about Daniel Theis being in the deal, probably. Poirier being in the deal, Romeo Langford maybe being in the deal and one of their first round picks."

(click on image to enlarge)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=r7nq23m

The Wolves get a first rounder as well. It's the trade DefenseWinsChamps proposed earlier today (assuning we are talking about a 3-way trade).

Woah, woah, woah. Windhorst, if you are reading this, you legally have to tell me.

Ok, maybe not, but it was a pretty good trade deal for all three parties.

« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
WOJ (mini-)BOMB:

Respectfully, Theis should be a core player at this point.  Not long-term, hope to keep forever core, but he’s absolutely part of this year’s core.  The upgrade from Theis to Capela would be marginal at best, so trading your rookie lottery pick and another lottery pick is a high price.  This is compounded by the fact that Theis is under contract for a bargain $5 million next season.

I can get moving Kanter, whom I like, in such a package for Capela. Not sure I’d do it, but I’d get it.  Theis just wouldn’t make sense to trade in such a package.

Theis is having a career year. It could be argued that Theis has been the Celtics most valuable player this year. He has been really good on both ends this year.

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2020, 04:06:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
WOJ (mini-)BOMB:

Respectfully, Theis should be a core player at this point.  Not long-term, hope to keep forever core, but he’s absolutely part of this year’s core.  The upgrade from Theis to Capela would be marginal at best, so trading your rookie lottery pick and another lottery pick is a high price.  This is compounded by the fact that Theis is under contract for a bargain $5 million next season.

Theis is having a career year. It could be argued that Theis has been the Celtics most valuable player this year. He has been really good on both ends this year.

And Kanter is also putting up fantastic stats and production when healthy, and his defense has actually been alright too.

Again, I don't see the point of a trade nor do I see Capela as a big upgrade from Theis/Kanter.

Still think if we want to add to our frontcourt, the best move is a smaller trade for a PF/C or buyout signing. Guys like Bjelica come to mind among others. Maybe Noel (though they have had ample opportunities to acquire him even for dirt cheap and haven’t, so idk)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
WOJ (mini-)BOMB:

I'm gonna respectfully disagree about my main man Daniel Theis. I've always liked the way he played the game from his first minute as a Celtic. I also thought the drop off from Horford to him wasn't going to be as severe as others thought.

Still, he's a classic over-achieving role player right now. He's an ideal player to trade while his value is high. He's not going to get better, especially as he loses mobility. His contract is great, but so is Kanter's. He's a player whose production is relatively easy to reproduce, because he does everything above average and nothing really well. He's not the best post defender on the team. He's not the best shot-blocker or pick-and-roll defender big on the team. He's not the best finishing big on the team. The only thing he's best among our bigs at is shooting. 

He's a great team guy and a very heady player, but his production is not difficult to replace, especially given CBS's ability to help bigs out-produce their talent (Zeller, Sullinger, Olynyk, Johnson, etc.). I'd love to keep him as a backup. He's a great team guy for the Cs, but he is not a core piece.

I'd be ok with trading either Kanter or Theis for Capela, even if the upgrade is only from a nickel to a dime.

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Trade for a scoring wing off the bench...it is really needed

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2020, 04:40:12 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Respectfully, Theis should be a core player at this point.  Not long-term, hope to keep forever core, but he’s absolutely part of this year’s core.
Starting Theis at the 5 was never part of our plan A. We got stuck with him cause Kyrie+Horford jumped ship. Danny used all our cap space to sign a Kyrie replacement (Kemba), hence we had no cap space left to sign a Horford-Baynes replacement. If you ask me, no way is Theis good enough to be considered part of our core. Not this season, not in the long run, not ever.

Both Capela and Theis are defensive minded players. If we add Capela, Theis becomes expendable. On the other hand, Kanter gives us a scoring option off the bench. It makes perfect sence to me to keep Kanter over Theis. Not to mention, Kanter would be a terrible fit in D'Antoni's system.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 08:46:07 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2020, 04:46:54 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Capela gives us a mid level salary we can use in a later deal (Giannis/Towns) and he helps us deal with Giannis in the play-offs. If all I takes is one of our bigs and youth filler I'm all for it

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2020, 04:51:26 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
WOJ (mini-)BOMB:

I would argue that he isn't even a legit stating-caliber C. He reminds me of Khem Birch of the Magic. Only difference is that Theis plays for a well-run team, hence his teammates/coaches make him look better than he actually is.

What exactly is Theis good at?

- above average shot blocker (2.3 blocks per 36 mins --> 13th in the league among qualified players)
- average rebounder (9.8 boards per 36 mins --> 46th in the league among qualified players)
- can be the roll man in pick n roll plays
- switches ball screens on D (which is rather obvious since he's undersized at the 5)

That's about it. Is this a legit starting-caliber big man (especially for a team that wants to make a deep playoff run)? There are numerous PFs-Cs who can do all those things. Not to mention, his blocking + rebounding stats are probably inflated cause he's playing next to an undersized 4 in Tatum.

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2020, 04:59:49 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
WOJ (mini-)BOMB:

I would argue that he isn't even a legit stating-caliber C. He reminds me of Khem Birch of the Magic. Only difference is that Theis plays for a well-run team, hence his teammates/coaches make him look better than he actually is.

What exactly is Theis good at?

- above average shot blocker (2.3 blocks per 36 mins --> 13th in the league among qualified players)
- average rebounder (9.8 boards per 36 mins --> 46th in the league among qualified players)
- can be the roll man in pick n roll plays
- switches ball screens on D (which is rather obvious since he's undersized at the 5)

That's about it. Is this a legit starting-caliber big man (especially for a team that wants to make a deep playoff run)? There are numerous PFs-Cs who can do all those things. Not to mention, his blocking + rebounding stats are probably inflated cause he's playing next to an undersized 4 in Tatum.

I think he's starting-caliber in the sense that he can be used that way by the right team without any major downsides. But you do have to wonder: could Theis ever in a million years pull down 13 boards per night, block 2 shots, and *average* 6 or 7 field goals on league-leading efficiency. Definitely not, so unless his team defense and spacing are extremely value, Capela is simply a higher impact player.

I'd prefer to keep both, although I realize salaries and carrying 3-4 full-time centers is problematic.

« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2020, 05:14:21 PM »

Offline Uncle Stink

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 2
worry about losing theis is funny.   they aren't winning anything with this team right now.   somebody has to go. stop overrating these bums.

« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2020, 05:17:46 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
worry about losing theis is funny.   they aren't winning anything with this team right now.   somebody has to go. stop overrating these bums.
Imagine your first post on a Celtics forum is calling your own team bums.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2020, 05:20:24 PM »

Offline Uncle Stink

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 2
posting in you jae crowder jersey?

why is this board so soft?

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2020, 05:21:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Capela is another injury prone guy. No thanks, especially considering Theis’ all-round versatility.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)