Author Topic: Celtics (20-6) at Kings (16-9) Game #27 12/20/23  (Read 18414 times)

Re: Celtics (20-6) at Kings (16-9) Game #27 12/20/23
« Reply #270 on: December 21, 2023, 01:32:48 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Always suspected Pritchard would become an asset if he were given regular minutes.
Grant Williams would have remained a solid contributor if Joe had not frozen him on the bench.
This team could use Grant Williams -we are going to have to pay someone and give up assets to fill that void anyway.

Grant is doing pretty bad in Dallas. Our top 8 is clearly better than him. He would win the battle with Kornet, Brissett, Queta and Stevens for minutes. But you don't pay $13M a year for that.

I feel like it is still too early to judge the signing by DAL but Grant has been playing starter minutes all season (29.5 min/gm) and is only scoring 9.6 pts, 3.9 rebs.  His shooting has been declining.  For the last 14 games (about half DAL season to date) Grant is 27.8% from 3 and 36.3% overall.  He is -86 in those 14 games.  Not sure what is going on. 

Grant was a useful bench player for the Celtics and probably would be if we still had him.  But keep in mind that in the end, he wanted to go to DAL to have a bigger role.  He wanted out.  I think $13M per season is an overpay for him even if he wanted to be here.  Sometimes you have to overpay, I get that.  But do you really think it is smart to overpay for a guy that doesn't want to be here?

« Reply #271 on: December 21, 2023, 01:47:54 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Always suspected Pritchard would become an asset if he were given regular minutes.
Grant Williams would have remained a solid contributor if Joe had not frozen him on the bench.
This team could use Grant Williams -we are going to have to pay someone and give up assets to fill that void anyway.

Grant is doing pretty bad in Dallas. Our top 8 is clearly better than him. He would win the battle with Kornet, Brissett, Queta and Stevens for minutes. But you don't pay $13M a year for that.

I feel like it is still too early to judge the signing by DAL but Grant has been playing starter minutes all season (29.5 min/gm) and is only scoring 9.6 pts, 3.9 rebs.  His shooting has been declining.  For the last 14 games (about half DAL season to date) Grant is 27.8% from 3 and 36.3% overall.  He is -86 in those 14 games.  Not sure what is going on. 

Grant was a useful bench player for the Celtics and probably would be if we still had him.  But keep in mind that in the end, he wanted to go to DAL to have a bigger role.  He wanted out.  I think $13M per season is an overpay for him even if he wanted to be here.  Sometimes you have to overpay, I get that.  But do you really think it is smart to overpay for a guy that doesn't want to be here?

I think whats going on is Grant isn't that good. He has one truly plus skill, and that's 3 point shooting. But his shot isn't super versatile, he doesn't run off screens or dribble into threes. He's a catch and shoot guy. And besides that he doesn't do a lot else on offense.

And on defense he's become super overrated. He's good on a particular type of player, big power 4's. But he gets dusted by smaller guys and shot over by taller guys.

Is he useful for Dallas? Yes, that team just needs guys. But he's not worth what he was paid.

« Reply #272 on: December 21, 2023, 04:27:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
That first quarter last night reminded me of round 1 of Hagler-Hearns.   Wow!!