Author Topic: Knicks (12-8) at Celtics (15-5) Game #21 12/8/23  (Read 11430 times)

Re: Knicks (12-8) at Celtics (15-5) Game #21 12/8/23
« Reply #315 on: December 08, 2023, 10:09:37 PM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
Nice game from Al with 10 rebs and 14pts.
Reliable Al !

« Reply #316 on: December 08, 2023, 10:13:37 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
TPs although the refs ruined this game!

« Reply #317 on: December 08, 2023, 10:24:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
TPs! Good home win and karma got the Knicks in the end with their physical play

« Reply #318 on: December 08, 2023, 11:19:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I hate how Randle just tries to run people over and injure them.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #319 on: December 09, 2023, 12:00:50 AM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
While not our "best" offensive players, I'm coming around to the idea that both White and KP are close to being our most important offensive pieces.

With White, I think his ability to both move the ball but also penetrate is huge for us, as it gets the offense moving when it can get stagnant.

With KP, his floor spacing and mismatch opportunities provide a whole other level of robustness to our offense, as he pulls any rim protector out of the paint.

How is it that Tatum and especially Brown practice and play games with Derrick White on an almost daily basis and not notice how much better the team plays offensively with the way he moves the ball and makes quick decisions instead of constantly holding and dribbling ?

I remember when half the board wanted rid of White in favor of Malcolm Brogdon.
Personally, I'd love to still have them both. Brogdon is very good at facilitating the offense as well. He played hurt last season.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #320 on: December 09, 2023, 04:04:37 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
While not our "best" offensive players, I'm coming around to the idea that both White and KP are close to being our most important offensive pieces.

With White, I think his ability to both move the ball but also penetrate is huge for us, as it gets the offense moving when it can get stagnant.

With KP, his floor spacing and mismatch opportunities provide a whole other level of robustness to our offense, as he pulls any rim protector out of the paint.

How is it that Tatum and especially Brown practice and play games with Derrick White on an almost daily basis and not notice how much better the team plays offensively with the way he moves the ball and makes quick decisions instead of constantly holding and dribbling ?

Personally, I'd love to still have them both. Brogdon is very good at facilitating the offense as well. He played hurt last season.

It's interesting to see that when you look at the Celtics's on-off stats per player (basically does the team perform better in a series of categories with a player on the court vs off the court, and by how much) Derrick White is far and away the player that most impacts winning on our team. The team has a +14 point differential with him on the court, which puts him in the 94th percentile (top 6%) of players in the league in that statistic. The team scores 8.8 more points with him on, which puts him in the top 13% of players, and the team's eFG% increases by 6.1%, which puts him in the top 5% of players in the league. The team also has 3% fewer turnovers when he is on, which puts him in the top 8% of players in that metric, and it forces 2.8% more turnovers with him on.

It's disturbing to see that while Derrick has a positive impact on this team in most categories, Jaylen, our $300m man, has the opposite. The team is 10.8points worse off when Jaylen is on the court, which puts him in the bottom 14% of players in the league in terms of that impact. He's below median (50th percentile) in many categories as well (other than improving the team's free throw rate).

Lies, [dang] lies, and statistics, I know...but these statistics are just a collection of every player's actual game performances, ranked.

The actual data is here for those with a Cleaning the Glass subscription https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/team/2/onoff#tab-team_efficiency
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #321 on: December 09, 2023, 05:35:59 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411

It's interesting to see that when you look at the Celtics's on-off stats per player (basically does the team perform better in a series of categories with a player on the court vs off the court, and by how much) Derrick White is far and away the player that most impacts winning on our team. The team has a +14 point differential with him on the court, which puts him in the 94th percentile (top 6%) of players in the league in that statistic. The team scores 8.8 more points with him on, which puts him in the top 13% of players, and the team's eFG% increases by 6.1%, which puts him in the top 5% of players in the league. The team also has 3% fewer turnovers when he is on, which puts him in the top 8% of players in that metric, and it forces 2.8% more turnovers with him on.

It's disturbing to see that while Derrick has a positive impact on this team in most categories, Jaylen, our $300m man, has the opposite. The team is 10.8points worse off when Jaylen is on the court, which puts him in the bottom 14% of players in the league in terms of that impact. He's below median (50th percentile) in many categories as well (other than improving the team's free throw rate).

Lies, [dang] lies, and statistics, I know...but these statistics are just a collection of every player's actual game performances, ranked.

The actual data is here for those with a Cleaning the Glass subscription https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/team/2/onoff#tab-team_efficiency

Yeah, that is how I feel watching the games. All the lineups that make me nervous are the ones where we are relying on Jaylen without Tatum.

I mentioned it during the game. I'd love to see Jrue and D White together in the 2nd unit. They do such a good job holding things together for everyone else and keep things ticking over. I'd be trying to pair them with Jaylen in the 2nd unit as much as possible in order to maintain that cohesiveness tha they provide that often goes missing once Jaylen is asked to take on more responsibility.