Author Topic: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down  (Read 29472 times)

Re: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down
« Reply #195 on: January 11, 2016, 08:22:50 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2606803-john-calipari-latest-news-rumors-and-speculation-on-kentucky-coachs-future

I think Brooklyn wants Calipari. I think this is great, he is not a good coach.

Calipari said something along the lines of "I have the best coaching job in the world".  This is not saying he wouldn't consider a GM position.  My initial reaction to this was they are considering Calipari for the GM like Phil Jackson.  Then he can hire whoever he wants to be coach.  If I was Calipari, I wouldn't leave Kentucky to coach the Nets either, even if I had player control or whatever.  GM seems like a higher paid, less demanding job.

Who's available, with some success as an NBA GM and an NBA coach? And also someone who can teach Lopez even more post moves and how to play with foot issues? Someone with NBA championship experience? Yep, Kevin McHale would be a good candidate for the Nets imo.

« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2016, 08:25:17 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I like McHale because it would mean he'd get paid, but he also has a soft spot for the Cs, still.  So he's perfect.  He's a really good coach too, I don't understand for the life of me why they quit on him so hard.

« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
There's a LOT of money floating around and a LOT of teams that are suddenly playoff-competitive or on the upswing. In this environment I wouldn't be surprised if the best the Nets can do in FA is a guy like Eric Gordon, which would be awesome for us. I personally think Derozan is a pipe dream but we'll see.
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2016, 11:34:32 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
There's a LOT of money floating around and a LOT of teams that are suddenly playoff-competitive or on the upswing. In this environment I wouldn't be surprised if the best the Nets can do in FA is a guy like Eric Gordon, which would be awesome for us. I personally think Derozan is a pipe dream but we'll see.

The only way the Nets sign him is if they're the only team to offer him a max contract.  That won't be the case.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #199 on: January 12, 2016, 02:18:23 PM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing

The only way the Nets sign him is if they're the only team to offer him a max contract.  That won't be the case.

Already there are reports that Derozan will get a max offer from LA. California guy, better situation, taking over for Kobe. And that's just one team. Plenty more out there.

You really don't have to go far down the line of UFAs before you get to the likes of Luol Deng at SF and Grievis Vasquez at PG. I'm sure the Nets will be better from a pure talent perspective but I expect another mismatched team of guys who happened to be the few to accept their offers.

Something like maxing Rondo, overpaying Jeff Green and taking a shot on Lance Stephenson.

"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2016, 03:30:26 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
There's only one guy who can turn the Nets around... Tommy Heinsohn.

I'm sure they would be competitive by, erm, 2019.

Do it, Mikhail!  ;D
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.