Author Topic: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down  (Read 29473 times)

Re: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2016, 07:56:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Scal was talking about Thibodeau being a candidate for this job if they give him coaching and basketball management duties.

I'd love that idea, because I think Thibs is smart enough to tear it down first then build it back up with his type of players, similar to how Brad and Danny did with our team of high-character guys. RHJ is his type of player, but I don't see Lopez or Young being those types.

He would not like Lopez s attitude

« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2016, 08:03:53 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Scal was talking about Thibodeau being a candidate for this job if they give him coaching and basketball management duties.

I'd love that idea, because I think Thibs is smart enough to tear it down first then build it back up with his type of players, similar to how Brad and Danny did with our team of high-character guys. RHJ is his type of player, but I don't see Lopez or Young being those types.

Was wondering if the vacant GM chair will be offered to the new head coach as well.

Would there be enough of an enticement for Jef Van Gundy to return? I doubt it.

The other option, strictly as head coach, might be Mark Jackson. How badly does he want to return to coaching?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2016, 08:06:54 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

Was wondering if the vacant GM chair will be offered to the new head coach as well.

The other option, strictly as head coach, might be Mark Jackson. How badly does he want to return to coaching?

Good thing is, outside of Jackson I think both van Gundy and Thibs would see the long-term over the short-term. The Nets are such a dumpster-fire, though, that I think you almost have to give them both the coaching and management position to hire a coach with a good reputation.

« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2016, 08:09:13 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

An old guy like Gundy .....it an't attractive......it will take a minimum 5 years just get back on a common sense program of asset building and foundation.    celtics have them by the nads for another 2-3 years .

It's going to take a patient .....young .....enthusiastic coach

« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2016, 08:09:32 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Good thing is, outside of Jackson I think both van Gundy and Thibs would see the long-term over the short-term. The Nets are such a dumpster-fire, though, that I think you almost have to give them both the coaching and management position to hire a coach with a good reputation.

Right, and I think that's why neither are real options for the Nets, so long as Prokhorov is calling the shots. I am sure he wants instant results, and isn't at all interested in a rebuilding plan.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2016, 08:37:18 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
this was pretty fast
i thought theyd wait till the end of the season
then try hire luke walton

i dont think they bring in jackson as he prefers old school plays like hollins

« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2016, 08:52:10 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

Right, and I think that's why neither are real options for the Nets, so long as Prokhorov is calling the shots. I am sure he wants instant results, and isn't at all interested in a rebuilding plan.

I doubt you're correct about that, but I really don't know.  My thinking is that the owner is interested in raising the value of his franchise.  It would seem to me that a slightly better than terrible team (immediate help) with no future prospects is less valuable than a terrible team that has accrued future assets, a promising coach and cap space.

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2016, 12:16:38 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If you hired me to run the Nets, my strategy would be to trade Lopez and Young for picks, then overpay three or so restricted free agents to give the illusion of a young core, maybe guys like Fournier, Sullinger, Ezeli, Harkness, Terrence Jones, or Jordan Clarkson.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2016, 12:20:08 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
If you hired me to run the Nets, my strategy would be to trade Lopez and Young for picks, then overpay three or so restricted free agents to give the illusion of a young core, maybe guys like Fournier, Sullinger, Ezeli, Harkness, Terrence Jones, or Jordan Clarkson.
Reminds me of the moves they made this off season LOL.

« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2016, 12:22:28 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2016, 12:23:44 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I doubt you're correct about that, but I really don't know.  My thinking is that the owner is interested in raising the value of his franchise.  It would seem to me that a slightly better than terrible team (immediate help) with no future prospects is less valuable than a terrible team that has accrued future assets, a promising coach and cap space.

I mostly agree, although I don't think a promising coach matters all that much.  A new owner will bring a new GM who will likely want a new coach.  If you're not selling a championship contender, picks, young players, and cap space are what provides the best value, since it offers the most flexibility for new management.  Tying up $80-100 million in long-term deals for a first round playoff out is less attractive, especially when you have no picks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:07:12 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2016, 01:13:39 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

I mostly agree, although I don't think a promising coach matters all that much.  A new owner will bring a new GM who will likely want a new coach.  If you're not selling a championship contender, picks, young players, and cap space are what provides the best value, since it offers the most flexibility for new management.  Tying up $80-100 million in long-term deals for a first round playoff out is less attractive, especially when you have no picks.

they have a pick, why does everyone keep saying they don't? They have one next season, it's just the worst of the 2 and who knows how good/bad we will be next season. I sure hope we are really good but things happen so quickly (injuries, trades, direction), they could get a good pick from us. Unless they owe that pick and I missed it?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2016, 02:22:35 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

they have a pick, why does everyone keep saying they don't? They have one next season, it's just the worst of the 2 and who knows how good/bad we will be next season. I sure hope we are really good but things happen so quickly (injuries, trades, direction), they could get a good pick from us. Unless they owe that pick and I missed it?
i think they have a early second as well

« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39:29 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Sorry.  Virtually no picks.  They also cannot trade the 1st they get from the swap, other than for another first, which makes it less attractive as well.  Otherwise that's it on their picks, except potentially a second rounder from us next year if we swap and our second is later in the round (it's protected for the first half of the round), until 2019.  They're out of seconds until 2021.  They have about as few picks in the next five drafts as the NBA allows.  It greatly limits the team's flexibility going forward.

« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2016, 02:43:56 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I'm kinda with you there, but they can still have a relatively young core by keeping Lopez and Young and going after guys like Fournier and Jeff Teague.

They could overpay and throw the max at Deroxan and Jeff Teague and put them next to Lopez. I dunno if ATL and Toronto match max offers on those guys...and Brooklyn needs to overpay a bit given their current image.

Bazemore
Evan Fournier
Jeff Teague
Al Horford
Derozan

Could probably all be had for slight overpayment as free agents.

Keep Young as your 6th man and sign Evan Turner.
That's a really competitive team in the East with a healthy Lopez.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.