Author Topic: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down  (Read 29472 times)

Re: BREAKING: Nets fire Hollins, King steps down
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
This is perfect. New GM will come in and realize they are bare to the bone and try and trade Lopez/Thad Young to picks.  That also buys the new GM some time as well.

Still ticked off at those two Nets losses however.
new gm might also come in and make a couple moves to help them win.

With what assets? You can't make chicken salad out of chicken...

They have a $25M expiring deal in Joe Johnson

They have an All-Star-caliber center in Brook Lopez

They have a solid NBA starting PF in Thad Young

They have a couple interesting role players in Bogdanovic, Larkin, Reed that could fit some teams' needs

You mean nobody has any interest in Joe's 25 million dollar contract.

If they trade Lopez they are horrible.

Young you can get a late first for, Bogdanavic is worth even less. Larkin is worth nothing.

Yeah, the only way your getting decent value out of those guys is by trading them for future assets. Your not gonna get back players that are better than those guys in return for trading them.

The only way they'll become more competitive this year is if they make a move to add a decent guy next to Lopez and Young, and what assets to they have to find that? None.

If the next GM has any sense at all, he'll be looking to unload Lopez and Young, who have played about as well as they ever have this year, to replace some of the first rounders they lost to us.

My point is that they have assets.  A smart GM could turn those into future draft picks, serviceable players, young projects, or a mixture of all three. 

« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Make no mistake, this is not good news.  Surprised as many people think this might be a good thing.

Mark it down, the Nets will go on a mini win streak.  Eventually they will come down to earth but those few wins may be the difference.
would you care to explain how and why the nets will suddenly start winning games? was hollins so bad a coach that he held them back this season? is someone going to step up and take over jack's role?

let's bet and see. if the nets go 7-3 or better over the next 10 games, i owe you a tp. if not, i get one. heck, i'll even give you odds if you want.  ;D
How about 6-4?
done! the bet is on. 6-4 by the nets, or better, and you get a free tp.  ;D

why don't you guys spice up the bet... one free TP is not spicy enough. How about the loser gives up ten TPs. This can be arranged with the mods. LOL
you make your bets, i make mine.

I guess you missed the 'LOL' at the end of my post. That means it was a joke, touchy touchy.

« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
This is perfect. New GM will come in and realize they are bare to the bone and try and trade Lopez/Thad Young to picks.  That also buys the new GM some time as well.

Still ticked off at those two Nets losses however.
new gm might also come in and make a couple moves to help them win.

With what assets? You can't make chicken salad out of chicken...

They have a $25M expiring deal in Joe Johnson

They have an All-Star-caliber center in Brook Lopez

They have a solid NBA starting PF in Thad Young

They have a couple interesting role players in Bogdanovic, Larkin, Reed that could fit some teams' needs

You mean nobody has any interest in Joe's 25 million dollar contract.

If they trade Lopez they are horrible.

Young you can get a late first for, Bogdanavic is worth even less. Larkin is worth nothing.

Yeah, the only way your getting decent value out of those guys is by trading them for future assets. Your not gonna get back players that are better than those guys in return for trading them.

The only way they'll become more competitive this year is if they make a move to add a decent guy next to Lopez and Young, and what assets to they have to find that? None.

If the next GM has any sense at all, he'll be looking to unload Lopez and Young, who have played about as well as they ever have this year, to replace some of the first rounders they lost to us.

My point is that they have assets.  A smart GM could turn those into future draft picks, serviceable players, young projects, or a mixture of all three.
I think those assets are limited in value, Brook has his injury woes, Thad is putting up good numbers on a bad team (think of his trade value as a sort of that KG trade last year). JJ's contract is virtually unmovable. All the other players are only worth seconds at best (Think Ish Smith trade)
Even if they make some moves, it probably wont translate into immediate wins.

« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2016, 05:11:33 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
ESPN's 5-on-5 had a long article about the management changes. The fun part is reading what they had to say about what the Nets should do now. They had no clue.

4. What should the Nets do now?

Elhassan: Beats me! They have no top-of-the-lottery draft picks to look forward to before 2019, and no immediate way to improve this roster. My guess they will try to acquire a first-round pick at the trade deadline for one of their "good" roster pieces.

Thorpe: First: See if the Sixers will allow them to hire Sam Hinkie. Seriously. He will be the best guy to make deals to help them bring in young prospects.

Then: Challenge the GM to find someone who can shoot, via the draft, the D-League and trade. With the new coaches, develop better defensive strategies and inspire their guys to bring passion to the way they defend.

If they can make some progress, their players will attract better trade value. For instance, they don't have to move Brook Lopez now. They can wait for the best deal even if it comes in June or July.

Pelton: When you're in a hole, the first rule is stop digging. The Nets can't sacrifice any of their remaining picks or young prospects to try to be less terrible now, even if they won't really benefit from their lottery position in the next three years.

Ford: They can start by hiring a GM who knows how to build a team and a new culture. They can't just hire a talented scout; they need a basketball executive who will hire the people who can help him turn it around.

From there, they start taking some chances on some young players on short contracts that could be building blocks.

Realistically, it's going to be at least 2019 before this team recovers from all of this. But a lot can be done now to build the proper foundation.

Doolittle: Avoid retreads. Go with a young, progressive, 21st century NBA executive. Former Nets assistant GM Bobby Marks is a great prospect but that might be a tough sell in light of the goal to change direction. Boston's Mike Zarren, Orlando's Matt Lloyd and OKC's Troy Weaver are worthy targets. But given the timing, you might have to hire a stopgap veteran to oversee the trade deadline, then kick him over to an advisory role after the season.

« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
ESPN's 5-on-5 had a long article about the management changes. The fun part is reading what they had to say about what the Nets should do now. They had no clue.

4. What should the Nets do now?

Elhassan: Beats me! They have no top-of-the-lottery draft picks to look forward to before 2019, and no immediate way to improve this roster. My guess they will try to acquire a first-round pick at the trade deadline for one of their "good" roster pieces.

Thorpe: First: See if the Sixers will allow them to hire Sam Hinkie. Seriously. He will be the best guy to make deals to help them bring in young prospects.

Then: Challenge the GM to find someone who can shoot, via the draft, the D-League and trade. With the new coaches, develop better defensive strategies and inspire their guys to bring passion to the way they defend.

If they can make some progress, their players will attract better trade value. For instance, they don't have to move Brook Lopez now. They can wait for the best deal even if it comes in June or July.

Pelton: When you're in a hole, the first rule is stop digging. The Nets can't sacrifice any of their remaining picks or young prospects to try to be less terrible now, even if they won't really benefit from their lottery position in the next three years.

Ford: They can start by hiring a GM who knows how to build a team and a new culture. They can't just hire a talented scout; they need a basketball executive who will hire the people who can help him turn it around.

From there, they start taking some chances on some young players on short contracts that could be building blocks.

Realistically, it's going to be at least 2019 before this team recovers from all of this. But a lot can be done now to build the proper foundation.

Doolittle: Avoid retreads. Go with a young, progressive, 21st century NBA executive. Former Nets assistant GM Bobby Marks is a great prospect but that might be a tough sell in light of the goal to change direction. Boston's Mike Zarren, Orlando's Matt Lloyd and OKC's Troy Weaver are worthy targets. But given the timing, you might have to hire a stopgap veteran to oversee the trade deadline, then kick him over to an advisory role after the season.

For starters, they could sign Tony Wroten, he's better than any PG they have right now, and he's still young.

Kostas Papanikolaou is another available player that could help them.

« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2016, 06:05:38 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Thad Young has value?

« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2016, 06:14:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Thad Young has value?

Why wouldn't he?

« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2016, 06:14:52 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Make no mistake, this is not good news.  Surprised as many people think this might be a good thing.

Mark it down, the Nets will go on a mini win streak.  Eventually they will come down to earth but those few wins may be the difference.
would you care to explain how and why the nets will suddenly start winning games? was hollins so bad a coach that he held them back this season? is someone going to step up and take over jack's role?

let's bet and see. if the nets go 7-3 or better over the next 10 games, i owe you a tp. if not, i get one. heck, i'll even give you odds if you want.  ;D
How about 6-4?
done! the bet is on. 6-4 by the nets, or better, and you get a free tp.  ;D

why don't you guys spice up the bet... one free TP is not spicy enough. How about the loser gives up ten TPs. This can be arranged with the mods. LOL
you make your bets, i make mine.

I guess you missed the 'LOL' at the end of my post. That means it was a joke, touchy touchy.
For the record, I'm in.  Tp for tp.

« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2016, 06:59:19 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Won't make a difference now until this summer, but I'd have to think that Hollins's dismissal would hurt their chances of picking up Mike Conley in free agency. He was one of the guys that I was worried about.

Mike

« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2016, 07:10:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Can the Nets steal Walton from GSW mid season?
I think Luke stays to get his ring, he just about has the next HC position locked with this 2 loss start.

well Nets is his chance.  Just because of his start with the talent he had to work with does not mean he can be picky now

« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think Luke stays to get his ring, he just about has the next HC position locked with this 2 loss start.

well Nets is his chance.  Just because of his start with the talent he had to work with does not mean he can be picky now

What's the point of this? He's not going to leave the Warriors mid-season to coach a hopeless team with an abysmal future. Would you?

« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2016, 07:26:00 PM »

Offline Sievers81

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Per Woj:

"As part of “reassignment,” Billy King expected to advise Nets ownership on…its GM search"

« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2016, 07:34:48 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Yeah but if your a coach looking to have a successful NBA career you almost have to be picky. If your Luke Walton and chances are your gonna get multiple offers, why take the Brooklyn job when they're so screwed going forward that you'll be lucky to get that team to .500? Chances are if you take that job, you'll be fired within 3 years based on record alone.

Some guys kinda do have to take whatever job they can get and hope to make the most of it, but Walton can, and should, be picky with the situation he walks into next.

« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2016, 07:49:31 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Per Woj:

"As part of “reassignment,” Billy King expected to advise Nets ownership on…its GM search"

That definitely means they are going to hire Otis Smith.

« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2016, 07:53:49 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Scal was talking about Thibodeau being a candidate for this job if they give him coaching and basketball management duties.

I'd love that idea, because I think Thibs is smart enough to tear it down first then build it back up with his type of players, similar to how Brad and Danny did with our team of high-character guys. RHJ is his type of player, but I don't see Lopez or Young being those types.