Author Topic: Thoughts on Hayward so far? (UPDATE From Hayward)  (Read 8849 times)

Re: Thoughts on Hayward so far? (UPDATE From Hayward)
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2018, 08:03:59 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Paul George injured his leg in the summer and came back and played the final 6 games in 2015.  He didn't do much in those 6 games but was back to normal the following season.  This is about where Hayward is right now.  Everything that I have seen is consistent with physically good but lacking timing or touch or whatever.

I think it is better if he comes off the bench (as I have said in many threads).  We need more size and he will get more chances against less competition playing against second units.  Then reassess as the season progresses.  He could be a weapon as a sixth man.

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2018, 08:49:14 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
I think it is better if he comes off the bench (as I have said in many threads).  We need more size and he will get more chances against less competition playing against second units.  Then reassess as the season progresses.  He could be a weapon as a sixth man.

I agree.  Should be ready to start in Jan/Feb
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2018, 10:34:11 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I will trust whatever Brad decides to do regarding Hayward, but personally I see no reason for him to come off the bench. He should get most of his minutes with the starting unit so he learns to play with them. If he needs to be eased in then Brad can limit his minutes.

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2018, 11:31:04 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2018, 01:32:09 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
:o

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24950788/boston-celtics-gordon-hayward-says-managing-back-pain

Luckily, we have another young star stud who can start at SF. But I am starting to get impatient with Hayward. Collecting all that money and then sitting out the entirety of his first year and now could miss more time in the start of his second year. What gives lol. Does this guy wanna play for the Celtics or not?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2018, 01:49:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24950788/boston-celtics-gordon-hayward-says-managing-back-pain

Luckily, we have another young star stud who can start at SF. But I am starting to get impatient with Hayward. Collecting all that money and then sitting out the entirety of his first year and now could miss more time in the start of his second year. What gives lol. Does this guy wanna play for the Celtics or not?
Sitting out? Are you serious?

Ridiculous take. I’m sure he left a year of guaranteed tens of millions on the table and moved his family across the country because he has no desire to play for his college coach, mentor and close friend in Stevens ::)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2018, 06:50:59 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Ridiculous take. I’m sure he left a year of guaranteed tens of millions on the table and moved his family across the country because he has no desire to play for his college coach, mentor and close friend in Stevens ::)
Well, it's an open forum so he has a right to post whatever take he wants, no matter how ridiculous it may be.

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2018, 07:15:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Well, it's an open forum so he has a right to post whatever take he wants, no matter how ridiculous it may be.
I never said he couldn't. That freedom comes with the freedom for others to comment on his posts too

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2018, 07:34:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, I understand the frustration of a guy being unavailable, but Hayward isn’t a malingerer.  As you say, he didn’t take $35+ million less because he wanted to sit out and collect a paycheck.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2018, 07:36:33 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics

His will is not an issue, it's his health. If he's gonna be old GH which we all know, we will forget last year easily, but another year with his health issues that would be a problem.

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2018, 09:46:01 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
people need to calm down regarding hayward. The guy JUST started playing 5 on 5 basketball for the first time in over a year after suffering a gruesome injury. He needs to get his timing and confidence back. But he will get there...

Watching him, he looks tentative as if every basketball move is going to cause him to dislocate his ankle

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2018, 10:31:59 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I never said he couldn't. That freedom comes with the freedom for others to comment on his posts too
Easy now, there was a bit of sarcasm in my comment.   ;)

Re: Thoughts on Hayward so far?
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2018, 10:37:40 AM »

Offline EthanHarris

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Hoping for the best. Maybe he will be the wing version of Horford? Tatum and Brown are clearly the talent on the team (along with obviously Kyrie) so I am hoping Hayward will defer to them like Horford has.

I have confidence that he will improve...he has to...but I am not sure where his place is on this team if he expects to be one of the two primary scoring options. He could certainly be amazing off the bench, but he is clearly the 5th best starter so far.

If he won't injure again, he will improve and become the player he was with the Jazz..
kyrie Irving is one of the best NBA players!

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Easy now, there was a bit of sarcasm in my comment.   ;)
You tricked me!